Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

What is your opinion of the 'Downton Abbey' 2012 Christmas Special?

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 41

Hello All,

Just wondering what viewers thought of the 2012 Christmas Special which aired in the UK on Christmas Day.

I'd like to hear your opinion.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 75
    Well, looks like the rumours about Dan Stevens not signing in for a 4th season were well founded. He got to become a parent, make a wonderful love declaration to Mary and meet his son but I'm utterly sad

Now I see there was a point to introducing Rose, she shall surely give us something to talk about.

I'm glad Edith is gonna carry on fighting for her happiness against all odds, Mr. Gregson looks like a good man to me. And I'm also glad that Jimmy and Mr. Barrow have made amends, although I don't fully buy Mr. Barrows' change of heart yet. I also liked to see that Daisy and the other maid now get along just fine.

The more I know about Isobel the more I like her. I loved the way she behaved around Dr. Clarkson, how well she handled and tough situation and how easy she made it for him.

Sibby is a thing of beauty, it was quite charming seeing Mr. Carson holding her. I couldn't bother about the whole Edna/Branson. And lol, I knew that Mrs. Pattmore will only be glad to rid herself of the cheeky grocery guy.

The Scottish castle and landscapes were just truly breathtaking! The bagpipe parade before every meal was amusing (and I bet rather annoying).

Sorry if this sounds like an unconexed telegram, I've just watched (unspoiled) so I'm still shocked about the end

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Dec 26, 2012
    • level: 41

Yes, unless some miracle happens, Dan Stevens has truly left the building. He has been trying what to do about his contract for over a year so it's no surprise but I felt 'let down' by the way it was done. Two babies born - two of them now with only one parent. I wish they had come yp with a different exit for Matthew.

To be honest, I was more saddened by Branson crying about missing Sybil. Very good acting on the part of Allen Leech and how lovely of Mrs. Hughes to take him under her wing and give him some advice. Watching Carson with the baby was priceless and perfect, I burst out laughing! I wish I knew why Edith always falls for unsuitable or unobtainable men, I can't see this thing with Gregson ending well. I was furious that Gregson was invited as a guest into the Scottish home, but that poor Branson wasn't considered 'good enough'. Social snobbery at its best!

The maids and footmen and all the rest of it are boring. I fiound myself tuning out when they were gabbing on. And Edna certainly DID have to go! What a strumpet she was!

I much prefer Downton to the Flincher home - that seemed to be all doom and gloom, plus, one of the bagpipers hit a decidedly wrong note and it squealed through my ears. Lady Rose being around will, I'm afraid not make up for Matthew being gone, and what will happen to Mary now? Edith was correct in saying that Mary was being terribly nasty to everyone, because she certainly was. I would have thought that, given all that the family have gone through, she might have softened a bit. Perhaps after what happened to Sybil, she was scared of dying in childbirth and took her fears out on everyone else?

Overall, I thought we spent too much time in Scotland (although the scenery was breathtaking) and that too many things were happening at once. Once or twice, I was actually bored and that has never happened to me with Downton before, however, I'm sure Julian Fellowes will serve us up yet another treat in Season 4. Smile