Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Your favorite and least favorite "Downton" character?

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 41

I've just been giving it some thought and I have pretty much decided which characters I like and which ones I don't.

My favourite character is Violet, The Dowager Countess. Maggie Smith's portrayal of her is superb and she truly has the best lines. Second favourite would be Lady Mary. I like that she is honest and fiesty and not afraid to speak her mind or tell the truth, regardless of how painful something might be. Next would be a tie between Mrs. Patmore and Lord Grantham as I think they are both excellent people.

Another character I loved to hate was Vera Bates. Maria Doyle Kennedy played her so well that I actually ended up liking her more than Bates.

Speaking of Bates, he is my least favourite character. 'Noble' people annoy me and I don't really think his storyline here in Season 3 has so far added anything important to the plot. That may change as the episodes progress but I just don't like Bates and would have been quite happy for him to hang - guilty or not.

Close behind Bates as my least favourite is Countess Cora. Her character is so bland and annoying. The only time I found her interesting was when she was dying of the Spanish Influenza. This may be partly due to the fact that I don't consider Elizabeth McGovern a particularly talented actress, and I never have, but I think it's more connected to my dislike of Cora's character.

I haven't got a definite third place for a character I dislike, but it would possibly be a toss up between Daisy and Thomas because they both annoy me for different reasons, still, that's how it's supposed to be - having some characters to dislike in any film or any television show is very important, it makes it interesting! Smile

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 75
    It's hard to made a distinction between favourite characters and actors/actresses as their portrayal usually has a big say in me liking the characters or not but I'll give it a go:

Favourite: Violet no doubt! (She is hilarious in her stubborness and she has the best one liners indeed. And Dame Maggie Smith is simply impecable), then Isobel (as I've said elsewhere I like her way of making herself busy by being useful in helping others. She can adapt to all kind of situations and always speaks her mind.) and Matthew, maybe because I'm close to their way of thinking.

Less favourite: (in no particular order) Lord Grantham (I was soo disappointed when he got involved with the maid, I can't stand double morals and two faced people), Mrs. Hughes (I don't think she does anything of significance), Cora (she simply annoys me).

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 41

I had forgotten about Robert and the maid. That was really unpleasant and totally unnecessary. I have no idea why they would add it in, given that the series is so short each season. Perhaps I forgot because I found the maid so dull over all.

boom-moo

[4]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 75
    I never found much sense in that storyline either. Something like Ethel's would have added more drama, but maybe a bit too much.

Lol something very random but I just realized that my three fav characters (the actors' names, that is) appear together on screen during the opening credits: Maggie Smith, Dan Stevens and Penelope Wilton.

Edited on 10/03/2012 2:15am