Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Your thoughts on Season 3, Episode 2. (SPOILERS)

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 41

What did viewers think of episode 2 of season 3?

Put your thoughts and comments here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 75
    (Violet to Lord Grantham) "I thought you were a waiter" ---> Lmao Best line of the episode. Never change, Violet.

I'm a bit surprised at how Lady Mary is handling coping with Matthew's decision not to accept the inheritance. She keeps pushing but she isn't throwing any more tantrums despite the situation keeps getting more and more desperate. Matthew won me over with his lovely speech before kissing the bride with his eyes closed in the previous episode (awww, how cute is he? ) so I guess he won her over as well. I love it how he is really willing to live a way more simple life without giving up on Lady Mary, knowing she is the total opposite.

Also surprised at how fast Lord Grantham caved in when Edith begged him to ask Sir Anthony Strallan to visit the again. I thought there would be further opposition and Edith would have to struggle a bit more. Now we have another wedding around the corner, whoa! At least we'll have another chance to see a bit more of Sybil.

Loved the whole granny vs granny (Violet and Cora's mother), it was very funny! As it seems Cora's mother won't be able to help either. Are they really moving out of Downton?

I hope that Bates doesn't get in trouble before Anna is able to help him (I guess that finding Bates' ex-wife's missing friend is gonna bring about good news).

Very sad to see that the former maid (the one who had a child with the soldier) is a prostitute now and that she is ashamed of seeking Isobel's help. Or maybe there something more to it?

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 41

SPOILERS:

With regard to the whole issue of Edith's marriage to Sir Anthony, in Season 1, Violet and Cora were both more than keen for Mary OR Edith to marry him, and now, suddenly, Robert is against it? This makes no sense to me. And yes, Robert did cave in far too quickly after being so opposed. I think he was more annoyed with Edith's choice than Sybil's!

Ah yes, the 'I thought you were a waiter' line was priceless, and delivered so perfectly. Laughing I also loved the 'what are you doing in your playclothes?' (paraphrasing). That had me in hysterics as well.

I think Matthew is being unfair on Mary. He seems too stubborn to understand that if Downton goes, so does several generations of history AND all that Mary is used to. This 'nobility' thing regarding Mr. Swire's will is getting on my nerves! Lavinia gave Matthew and Mary her blessing so I think it's time that Matthew grew up. I knew that Cora's mother wouldn't help out, that would have been FAR too easy, and unlike her anyway. Cora's attitude to everything being lost grated on my nerves somewhat, but I think it grated on Mary even more.

I can't be unbiased about Bates because he is my least favourite character. I would have liked him to go to the gallows and THEN have them find that he was innocent. (Nasty me, I know.) I personally feel that Richard Carlisle had something to do with Vera's death, but as I haven't read anywhere that Ian Glenn is making any guest appearances, I'm probably wrong.

It is indeed a terrible shame that Ethel has been reduced to prostitution, but I hope that she doesn't give little Charlie up to that awful father of Major Bryant's as that would be appalling. Hopefully Isobel can help her, but Isobel tends to get more in the way than actually help. *grin*.

boom-moo

[4]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 75
    I think that Matthew has never wanted for the kind of life that Mary is used to and he is partly using Lavinia's death as an excuse to get his way and have them live a more modest life, wealthy enough but with less rules and pomp.

Aww poor Bates! Lol

I really like Isobel and her way of making herself busy by being useful in helping others. She can adapt to all kind of situations and always speaks her mind. I don't think we get to see the real extent of her endeavours though.
    Edited on 09/30/2012 2:50am
    Edited 2 total times.