Downton Abbey

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITV Premiered Jan 09, 2011 Between Seasons

JediSnoopy

Downton Abbey Fan Reviews (36)

• SHOW FOR THE LORDS N LADYS...

had to go though 3 seasons given the high this show sucks R GOOD BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN ITS can handle slow plots n storytelling but this show is just melodramatic n be bcoz its british way of getting high rating for their own shows and I SUPPOSE THIS IS TO SHOW TO THE WORLD HOW GOOD n KINDHEARTED N SIMPLE WERE THE LORDS N LADY'S OF ENGLAND, JUST TO DOWNPLAY THE THOUGHT OF 1000 YEARS OF TYRANNY N SUPRESSION...
  • Downton Abbey Season 4

The show is a phenomenal drama show with the addition of Paul Giamatti.

Downton Abbey Season 4 is a show that takes place in 1912 during the sinking of the Titanic. Set on an Edwardian country house in Downton Abbey Season 4, life is idyllic and busting for a family called the Crawley's. The inhabitants of Downton Abbey, Robert, Earl of Grantham, his American heiress wife Cora and their three daughters, along with Robert's mother Violet, haven't lived a particularly tough life living in luxury with the help of a cadre of servants.

• Watch "Downton Abbey Kids"

if you're a fan of Downton Abbey fan videos, watch "Downton Abbey Kids" on youtube, just in time for the season 3 (it's got a nice montage of all 3 seasons)
  • 2013 airings

when does the new season for 2013 start???
  • Downton Abbey is an Edwardian period drama with enough corsets, cravats, repressed passions and stiff upper lips to satisfy any fan of the genre.

Created by adept period film screenwriter Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park, Vanity Fair and The Young Victoria), this series portrays an aristocratic household in the years between the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and the outbreak of WWI in 1914. Set in a scenic English country estate and populated with recognizable characters (saved from stereotype by a very capable ensemble of actors), the story unfolds at an unhurried pace, full of the sort of clever dialogue we have come to expect from the genre: eloquent dinner party repartee across floral centrepieces, declarative proposals of marriage, and snooty put-downs delivered by ladies in large hats. Of course there is lots of intrigue and romance both above and below stairs, as well as some interesting period detail from a time on the brink of a modern world of electricity, automobiles and telephones. But don't expect any harsh social realism; despite the token suffragette and socialist characters (the earl's youngest daughter and the Irish chauffeur) this is a very rose-tinted look at Edwardian class relations. Downton Abbey is at heart an enchanted castle with a romanticised and largely unquestioned social hierarchy from the high king on down to the lowly scullery maid - a fairy tale disguised as nostalgia for a bygone age. Pure, indulgent escapism. Wonderful.
  • Watch Downton Abbey Season 5, Episode 1 live online

5-episode-1-live-online/

5-episode-1-live-online/
  • For mamas, for papas, for girlfriend

Another fantastic show to watch with your girlfriend (even your parents will also love it). I love how the girls say "papaa". To be completely honest although it is not my style it is an incredible show, with very good actors (the grandma is fantastic) and a lot of drama and twists, although after watching the first episode of this new season it seems the drama is disapearing and i have no clue what direction the show is going.
  • Wonderful Show must watch

I wanted to see what the fuss was about ... now I know I am so hooked .love it..
  • Can't wait for next Season...

Just finished last season still going Strong!!
  • Addictive!

Downton Abbey has it all: old fashion England, drama, great costumes, beautiful looking casts, tragic ending love story. Really addictive!
  • NEW SEASON

WHEN it will start?
  • TREMENDOUS

EXTREMELY GOOD. FANTASTIC ACTORS (DAME MAGGIE GETS SOME FANTASTIC ONE LINERS). CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON 3. NEVER FAILS TO ENTERTAIN.
  • Just try the show, you'll probably like it.

This show is not my usual cup of tea, I actually don't know many people who would say that they regularly watch British historical dramas set in the 1900s. After seeing the reception this show received, the huge number of awards it was nominated for, the substantial portion of those awards this show received, I compelled myself to give it a chance.

Very glad I watched it, the amount of character development is amazing, this show is a work of art.
  • its 9.5 if my mother tells me

I do not actually like this show, my mother made me give it a 9.5.
  • Season 4 - Thoughts

I've watched Series 4 live as I've been in the area and despite what some have said I think it keeps up the high standards of series past. I did feel there was one aspect in the series that seemed slightly too contrived but I don't want to give away anything. Suffice it to say I think it resolves well as the series goes along and takes us into an interesting realm.

As for those folks who'll be waiting for Paul Giamatti's appearance, it seems he'll only be in the Christmas Special. So don't hold your breath... I just hope I make it back for the special, I couldn't stand to wait until it's released in the Americas.

Over all I liked this series/season and where it went and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well: They rounded out a few long time characters and gave us some more romantic entanglements as well as new characters to get to know. My favorite being Charles Blake, who's portrayed by Julian Ovenden and is probably best known to American audiences as Andrew Foyle from the ITV program Foye's War.
  • Jolly old England

I love this show because it shows that "I'm better than you" attitude that we just don't see in England anymore; unless you're in the royal family. A great series and great acting for the most part! Some of the characters are highly believable especially Maggie Smith. I just think she's perfect for the part.
  • I'm hooked!

I wasn't certain what to expect when I started watching the opening season of Downton Abbey, but somewhere around the second or third episode, I got hooked. After that first day, I "marathoned" all three seasons in order to catch up.

To me, this is basically a prime-time Soap Opera with continuing storylines, featuring high drama, some comedic lightness, and terrific acting. It's definitely not satirical or tongue-in-cheek (like Desperate Housewives) or overly campy and unbelievable (like Dynasty), but more of a Knots Landing (the best nighttime soap ever!) set in the world of Upstairs, Downstairs, meaning enjoyable stories, a talented ensemble cast, believable characters you care about, and a fascinating historical setting. The locations and sets and costumes are outstanding as well, and the whole series is produced with a top-notch level of quality that only British TV can muster. Although Maggie Smith is a standout among the cast, stealing every scene in which she appears (due, mostly, to her laugh-out-loud one-liners), she's completely surrounded by actors who can easily handle the chore of delivering the own goods each and every episode.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be on the edge of your seat for many of the storylines. Overall, an excellent show thus far! Bully to the Brits for creating such a great series! I can't wait for Season Four!
  • Lovely

The filming is just beautiful. What's also pretty great is no commercials. Never thought I'd say this but yay PBS!!
  • oh yes please, this is my cuppa.

good show mr darcy :P
  • One of the Bests

A very touching drama, its so real when you watch it, I always felt that I'm part of it, and like what RenAlexisCati said " this show makes you want to live a life at Downton Abbey", I sincerely wish they proceeds to many seasons.
  • Best TV Series Ever

I have viewed a lot of TV Series in my life, but none captivated me as much as Downton Abbey. The acting, to begin with, is absolutely stunning; It is a rare Series with one writer and the story lines are fabulous along with great reactions from the characters; The music composition is the greatest in history; the locations are marvelous; the directing is beautiful and last, but not least, the costumes are amazing. If you have not watched Downton Abbey, you are missing out on the jaw-dropping Drama.

• Downton Abbey; Greatest TV Drama Ever!

Absolutely great drama by ITV and Masterpiece! I own all four series on DVD and have watched all episodes. This is a drama that is outstanding in acting, location, costumes, music and everything English. We in America are truly in love with Downton Abbey; I love the character of Lady Mary the best but, everyone on the program is great. lt is a shame that American actors have become only celebrities and not true dramatists; I mostly watch English programs when they are available. Again, great job Julian Fellowes and all.
  • Downton Abbey a class act

In the glorious tradition of shows like Upstairs Downstairs, Downton Abbey does not disappoint. Lady Mary Crawley played by Michelle Dockery is by far my favorite character. She is smart and witty and brilliantly written.

I find myself intrigued by her ability to capture the audience with a single stare. Michelle is fantastic. Who would have believed her success. Isn't this show one of the very greats. I look forward to each episode with enthusiasm. Keep up the great work.

Lonnie
  • Downton is Down Right Beautiful!

Downton Abbey is one the best historic dramas ever made, and has become one of my all time favorite television shows!
  • Emmy deserving in every way.

This show is absolutely flawless. It's exceeds all others because period dramas have been done countless times but Downton keeps it fresh and that it is why it exceeds Hannibal, Homeland, breaking bad and Mad Men. The cast is also supreme - Maggie smith.
  • Excellent Show

Really envy to those people who live in yorkshire. The beautiful scenery, village, etc really add up to the series. Not to mention excellent acting by all of them. Simply the best show ever.
  • One of my two favorite shows!!

The other being The Walking Dead. On the surface they don't have anything in common, but they both have great characters that you love tuning in just to watch and compelling story arches.

I give Downtown the edge however, since I don't have to look through my fingers during any gorey scenes, lol
  • Love it

Love this show, excellent, Maggie Smith is great.
  • Where is it??

What am I doing wrong? Can't find any 2013 airings on this site?
  • Perfect!

THis show is absolutelly brilliant! excelent arcting, compelling story, right balance of drama. Perfect!
< 1 2