Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman

CBS (ended 1998)

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman Fan Reviews (37)

• Bad Writing!!!!!

I remember watching a fews shows of this when it was first on. I quit watching after a few episodes because of poor acting and bad scripts. The show was very cheesy. I enjoy westerns, but this show was very bad. I tried to watch during season 5, but it was not intersting.
  • What happened to historical accuracy?

3.6
    Okay, admittedly, I'm not the best historian in the world, far from it. However, I highly doubt that plastic surgery was performed in the era depicted in Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Neither was breast cancer diagnosed and treated with a mastectomy. Even today, breast cancer is not always diagnosed early, and we know to do breast self-checks and have mammograms. Which would mean by the time she diagnosed cancer (assuming she could), it would be too late for a mastectomy alone to be any good and guarantee survival. Especially without chemo. If I'm wrong, feel free to call me on it (I'm always willing to correct my misconceptions). I just don't recall certain techniques that they show being used at that point in time. The lack of historical accuracy bugged me to the point that the show was hardly enjoyable. It just didn't work for me.
  • I tried to like it. But no dice.

7.1
    I try to watch this show. And I try to like it. But it does not feel right. I cannot figure out if it is due to bad writing or dialogue. But the show seems too predictable at times. It may also be due to bad acting. The pacing seems off. And sometimes I think that Sully is not quite the man he should be… Shrugs. The character of Doctor Mike does not seem realistic or something. I think this show is intended for an audience of women, but the problem is its just too sappy. Here are a few more words to get around 100.
  • This show is great as a familyshow.

5.1
    I remember back in the days when me and my family used to watch this together. Everyone enjoyed it.

And that's just what's good with this show. It's a true familyshow. It got at little of action, romance, comdedy, yes, everything.

But as I mentioned, that was back in the days.
    Nowdays I would never sit down and watch it by myself, and I wouldn't ever even think about buying it on dvd. Sure, some episodes are really good. But as a series it's not that good actually.
    Maybe it's just me growing away from all the moral-speeches or something, I just don't enjoy it as much as I did when I was a kid...
  • Dr. Quinn, a good show...

i think that dr. quinn is under appeciated. it is definetly not the best western, i guess it's not really a western but it takes place in the old west. it ran for six secussful seasons. the star, which i can't remember her name right now, and she's not on the cast up at the top, anyway, she latered went to recurring star on Smallville's fourth season. i seen her on tv the other day. i like Hank because he has the same last name as me: Lawson. it hink that it had good stories, and was a terrific show for the 90's. later.
  • Good show.

The acting is what stood out for me. I have to admit that it was a bit intense sometimes with the drama, especially because I was real young to understand what was happening. Some of the things on the show bored me to death, but overall it was quite interesting. I liked the fact that it was set in the late 1800's. The setting was quite interesting and very much fun to watch. The action was a bonus and the drama was a plus. The acting was decent and the storylines were good. The thing I didn't like were all the gross scenes. Thank you.
  • Too bad there's not any shows like this anymore :(

This has been my favorite show ever. I have all of the episodes on DVD. The show's stories teach good values and lessons. There's no foolishness of 5 people living in a tiny apartment as a "reality" show or fools having sex with every person they meet. The characters have flaws, but it shows that most of them are truly good at heart. The love story is clean and shows a relationship based on getting to know each other and deciding if they really want to be together forever before getting intimate. More shows should teach this value with all of these young girls having babies with men they break up with before the child is even born and children grow up without a father or with a part-time mother. The show also shows different sides of conflicts in the west.

I only have a few complaints about the show. The last season was not as good as the previous ones. Sully being in hiding while every one else's life went on and by some miracle he was allowed to live free again didn't seem too realistic and was less appealing to the type of people who watched the show compared to the types of stories in previous seasons. I read that they put more violence into the last season to get more viewers and it probably made them lose viewers who liked the way it was. The small town feel of Colorado Springs should have lasted until past the 4th season. I think they made the town feel a lot bigger at the end and it made the town less appealing. The "progress" should have been slower. I also didn't like the actress change for Colleen. The first Colleen looked like she fit in with the family and had the country girl look and personality. The second Colleen had red hair and freckles, which looked nothing like anyone else in the family. I don't think her character fit the role as well as the first Colleen. The producers should have paid to keep her because she did such a good job.

Overall, the show is very good. I felt bad when they canceled it because if they kept the stories like the first 5 seasons, it would be the type of show that should have been able to continue for many more years showing the family expand and the children growing up as the town slowly grows. Too bad they don't make any Westerns anymore that show what life was like many years ago. I bet "the west" would look amazing in HD. There's not even any shows for adults whose characters live with values. This may be contributing to a decline in our society with so many social problems.
  • Michaela Rocks!

Medicine woman is a show the whole family can watch. It spurs the imagination to a time before modern conveniences. A time when a doctor must have been seen as almost barbaric. The show features love, war, pride, and honor. Which are a few things we could use more of these days. Also you can win an entire season of on DVD at endedtvseries-com
  • After this show's cancellation, the remnants of "family TV" were all but gone.

If I had to pick my absolute favorite show from when I was in high school, this show would be it! Nearly everyone of my teen-aged girlfriends loved this show. Every Monday we would get to school and talk about what happened on DQMW on Saturday night. The family environment of the cast really drew me as a viewer into the life on the frontier in Colorado. Jane Seymour and Joe Lando to this day remain my favorite on-screen couple; their chemistry was amazing!

I recently re-watched the entire series on DVD (the sixth season I watched for the first time), and despite the fact that I now the show would have no place on TV today, I wish that it was still around. It reminded me of a simpler time in my life and of what TV was like at one time. While there are still shows on today that I do enjoy, it saddens me that my own children will not be able to enjoy quality family TV shows.
  • A wonderful family show that you can watch over and over again!

This show was absolutely wonderful and I wish it would not have ended so early. The network made a big mistake canceling. There was so much more story to be told. The characters, the story lines, the town, the love, the friendships...all of it was written with passion. Season 6 ended with Robert E and Grace\'s family beginning, Jake newly married, Colleen and Andrew starting a life together, Cloud Dancing and Dorthy\'s relationship blossoming. So many things that were not addressed in the movies. It was a wonderful family show! You certainly didn\'t have to worry about whether or not your kids could watch it. Make another movie at least!!
  • A very good story set in the old west. It had a love story that melted so well with the chemistry of Joe and Jane (Sully and Mike) you would think they were lovers IRL.

I always enjoy catching episodes of this show with it\\\'s homourous side, as well as a love story and the more serious episodes I cry laugh and want to go back for more. hank you to Lonestar station for continuing to play dr.quinn. With the sexy Joe Lando playing Sully he definitly makes the ladies swoon with his romantic side saving Dr. Mike in more than one episode. And even her saving him. They make a great pair and for this alone I highly reccomend it of you like a good love story. And they do really well with the set and costumes making it loook very authentic. And even throwing in famous names from that time period (ie they met General Custer).
  • A good show that pretty much the whole family could watch.

Dr. Quinn is a female doctor back when there were not many female doctors.

She inherits three children and sets up a small practice in town.

Doctor Quinn eventually falls for a man who lost his wife, and now lives with Native Americans.

Dr. Quinn helps heal the town with medicine and love week after week.

The town's folk are some real characters. A reverend, a store owner, a bar owning pimp, and a a very nervous postmaster.

• Classic Country

I love old shows like this that show what it was like in olden times living off the land and without the modern technologies of today.
    The fact that Doctor Quinn is a woman back in those times and showing peoples reactions to a women doctor and how she deals with it shows that she is a very strong character.
    She is grown to be a loved member of the community and the childern who she looks after who are not her own but treats as if they were.
    It is a lovely sweet show that provides plenty of drama throughout the series.
  • It's such a heartwarming and sweet thing to watch and it's a shame these types of shows are hardly made any more.

This was the show i use to like to watch if I was off school ill when I was little. I recently remembered this by chance and thought I'd look it up on youtube to see if I could see any clips, but the full seasons were uploaded to my delight. Over time I have been watching all the old episodes and it has been lovely thing to watch. I have been amused to see Brian growing throughout the show and the relationships between all the characters.

In the beginning Dr Mike was not having an easy time, as women did not generally have medical degrees or any important qualifications of the kind, but she was determined that she could fight to be accepted into a small town. After a woman died she was asked to look after her three children, Matthew, Coleen and Brian. Dr Mike had no knowledge of how to look after the children, but it's be fun to watch her in the first season getting used to it. Over the seasons they become a very tightly knit family, resulting in them seeing her as their mother. The children mean everything to Dr Mike and Sully and have saved them on many occasions.

Coleen has developed a love for medicine and has helped Dr Mike on many occasions. As she got older she decided to follow dr mikes footsteps in medicine, but it proves difficult once she tries to get a job due to the sexist views at the time. Dr. Mike and Sully have had chemistry since the beginning, however it had taken them ages to accept their feelings. They have come across many obstacles in their relationship, but when things get rough they have always looked after on another. This show is sweet on many levels and its hard to see things like this anymore. It is nice to watch with many interesting events that unfold in the episodes. Well-worth watching for all those who is a romantic like me :D
  • great show about a doctor trying to survive in the wild west and starts a family.

7.8
    The story got my attention when it first aired on tv but the female doctor trying to survive with three kids was not enough. The woman Michaela Quinn inherited 3 children, Matthew, Colleen, and Brian. Michaela is a woman doctor and moves out west with her children to find a job.
    It was complete when they entered the cowboy - indian aspect with Sully as a love interest for Dr. Mike. The town peoples reactions to the indian were realistic to what the reactions would have been in those times.
    It is a realistic show because it shows the predjudices that were around in those times, like the fact that women couldnt be doctors.
  • Sully! <3

Sully was the best! I grew up w this show!! <3

Sully was so hot & always bad ass! I saw him in a new show in a suit & short hair...I didn't know how to deal w it!

But I love their love story! Even if they drew out their marriage 4 to long to be jerks!

But sersly! this show had everyone! The old man (who's on Desperate housewives now!) the towns pimp & him prostitute. Town weirdo who said a prostitute..Ass holes like their 'mayor'

Great show all around! They were historically correct on a lot of stuff too! :)
  • This show was a classic, family oriented program!

This show was a classic, family oriented program that paved the way for shows like "Touched By An Angel" and "Joan of Arcadia." I remember watching this show with my mom every Sunday night, and the storylines were always engaging and dealt with modern themes like racism, pregnancy, and even homosexuality. This show was ahead of its time and brought many families together on Sunday night. Though the scripts didn't contain sex, violence or otherwise "engaging" aspects of many television programs today, the show brought classic family values back into the home. Towards the end, the show began to taper a bit, but in my opinion, the show finished strong and remains influential today.
  • great show

I still seek this show out when ever I can, it is a true classic.. it had values a good storyline.. enjoyable and loveable charecters.. I wish it would of lasted a lot longer, but at least I have reruns.. I wish that there was more shows like this one still on TV
  • A personal escape

For six years, 'Dr. Quinn' aired every Saturday night documenting the goings-on in a fictionalized Colorado Springs, centring around female doctor Michaela "Dr. Mike" Quinn's struggles to be accepted as part of a profession dominated by men. At the same time, she went through various other struggles--a relationship with mountain man Sully; raising her adopted children Matthew, Colleen, and Brian (and, later, her own birth daughter Katie); being an active member of the town (in more ways than one); and, of course, treating the townsfolk of their various ailments. It also found time to be socially conscious, getting into topics like the suffrage movement, the mistreatment of Native Americans (particularly the Cheyenne, who figured prominently in various episodes), alcoholism, drug addiction, the death penalty, and the like.

For me, this show was an escape of sorts. During the time the series first aired on CBS, I was going through a very rough time. While this was on, however, I was able to direct my energy toward the various characters and the plotline of the week.

The cast and crew poured themselves into this series for as long as they could; and it showed. While it may not have garnered a lot of critical acclaim, it still managed to leave a very deep mark.
  • Gentle, sympathetic and positive

I think that the best part of that show was the values it carried - I am just so tired of all those usual comedies, series what have no moral - for that this one was a great exception.

Great characters, moving story, though-provoking cases. Little town with it's own superstitions, a female doctor with three children, non of her own, and that doctor changes the life of this down so much - changes their thinking, their way of seeing around. And I am sure - she also changed me - my way of seeing things, thinking, and told me that if you want something, then be ready to fight for it and in one level, it is more about who believes more... that one will get what she wants.

Absolutely fabulous show and I am sure - one of my favorites
  • Dr. Quinn on GMC Channel

I am watching Dr. Quinn on GMC (May, 2012) Love the Show!!!!! But disappointed because they only went as far as Season 5 and now back to Season 1....skipping Season 6 completely..I am sure I am not the only one disappointed with this....they ended Season 5 last week and started again with Season 1. Why would they do that? Also Monday, May 27,2012, they are having 10 hours of shows that Sully is in.....callling it Sully thon....looking forward.....hope that they show Season 6!!!!!! Any chance of a 3rd movie?
  • One of the greatest family shows of the 90's. It will forever be a cult Classic, that people can not get enough of!

I was only about 5 years old when this show first aired in 1993, but it somehow become very intergrated into my childhood memories. I remember as a child watching Dr. Quinn with my mom and it almost become a comfort as I got older. We live in a cruel, unfair world, but I know that I can always turn on Dr. Quinn and watch her fight to keep life as fair and safe as she can possibly make it. I love how history was incorporated and yet the show did not feel "period" because the issues they dealt with are still very real and prevelant today. Dr. Quinn taught us how to deal with loss, racism, broken hearts, and of course, illness. Jane Seymour is a fabulous actress, and made Dr. Quinn all the more wonderful. Perhaps, the best part of the entire series is the enduring love between Sully and Michaela. They loved each other through thick and thin and showed the world the real meaning of True Love.
  • A Western Family Drama set in Colorado Springs during the 1870's. The show's main character is a Woman Doctor named Michaela Quinn who, after her father's death, moves from Boston to a small town where she knows no-one to start her own practice.

Dr Quinn Medicine Woman is a show that ended much too soon. The romance between Michaela and Sully was a personal favourite. Episodes like The Abduction, Point Blank, The Race, Ladies Night, Where the Heart Is, A Washington Affair and Was*hita are so well written and the acting is topnotch. The show addressed all things from racism to homosexuality and let you make your own mind up on what was right or wrong. You could learn a lot by watching this show and yours truly has learned all sorts of things from anatomy to American history just by watching DQMW one hour every week.
  • Love this show as a kid!

I loved this show as a teen to an adult
    It was like Little House on the Prarie
    But for the 1990's instead of the 70's & 80's
    Sadly they don't make shows for the family
    They like choose quanity over quality
    It is sad but it's true though
    Loved the acting and the writing
    Too bad it was yanked off the air after six years
    But glad it is in reruns
    It will always be that way as well
    Even after the actors are gone!
  • The best series ever, no kidding. A great show for the entire family, complete with amazing acting and great storylines. Everybody should watch it!!!

Dr. Michaela Quinn set out for Colorado Springs, Colorado from her comfortable life in Boston to bring her medical skills to the people of the Wild West. From high society to rustic, she must learn to make a new life for herself, along with the three children she has inherited. Along the way, she meets Byron Sully, a rough mountain man who teaches her everything she needs to know about living in the west, along with more.

This show is one of the most diverse shows I've ever seen. It can have you laughing hysterically one minute, and bawling your eyes out the next. Jane Seymour's Michaela Quinn has been called one of the most influential TV characters of all time, and Joe Lando's acting is magnificent. And unlike so many other shows, the supporting cast is more than phenomenal.

Even if you don't normally watch shows like this, I would highly recommend checking it out on Hallmark or on DVD. It is well worth it.
  • A classic family show surrounding the town of Colorado Springs in the Wild West. The show follows Dr Michaela Quinn, her adopted family and other members of the town.

One of my favourite shows, I've been watching Dr Quinn since it began in 1993 when I was just six years old. Sadly I now have to watch the re-runs but the episodes are still as great as ever. 'Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman' although not a show everyone would enjoy, has a mixture of everything necessary for a good drama. Although it is interesting in its historical context, it also has a range of characters that viewers care for. The show also isn't afraid to deal with social issues of the time such as racism, sexism and social conventions. Altogether, 'Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman' is a classic, original show, and is definetly one of a kind.
  • Dr. Michaela Quinn heads out west on her own to practice medicine in the Wild West. Along the way, she adopts a family of children, falls in love with a mountain man, and earns the respect and admiration of the Colorado Springs community.

I really liked this show when it originally aired on TV, and I bought the DVDs recently, and like it even more the second time around. It was fun to watch the relationship between Dr. Mike and and her mountain man love, Sully, progress. I seems rare for a show to actually allow a romantic relationship to progress from the very beginning to a mature relationship.

The "messages" contained in each show were always well done. The show was an example how how television can be entertaining without being shocking or abrasive - one of my gripes about much of what's on TV. The chemistry between Jane Seymour and Joe Lando was fantastic. I'll never get tired of seeing these two together. An excellent ensemble cast rounded out the show, and the writers did a good job of including story lines that involved each of the characters.
  • I loved this show,it was and is a decent show that everyone in the family can watch together. As far as I know the show did pretty well universally but to satisfy the demands of adverstisement companies, CBS cut the plug off on the best show ever on the n

Dr.Quinn is a marvelous story about family, friendship,love,morality, basically about the human condition with some references to histroical events.In several episodes,the show projected the inhumanely ways the native Americans were treated,the hardships African Americans faced following the reconstruction period in the States among other relevant social issues.The show isn't the average good versus evil western show with good old cowboys chasing dehumanized indians rather the show depicts the complex human nature which is not so clear cut.On many levels the show has a class of its own,and it is a damn shame that its not still running.
  • Good western

Dr. Quinn was one of the first show that I really got into. I started watching the end of the 5th season and was hooked. Unfortunately it was prematurely cancelled at the end of the 6th season. Likely I was able to watch the older epsiodes and began to like it even more.

While at times Dr. Quinn could be a bit preachy it showed light into period and the ways of the old west. Supporting characters helped even out the storyline and the actors all worked well on screen together.

It really was unfortunate that CBS decided to cancel this jem. We did however get the horrible "Revelations" to the decent "Winter's Heart" wrap up movies but what Dr. Quinn needs is a movie to tie up everything the way it should of been. Perhaps some day.
  • Dr Quinn (INSP)

Why was Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman replaced by Jag now showing on INSP?? I hate this. Loved the afternoon shows & also the 9 PM showing. Why change such a good thing. Please bring it back even if it is at another time!!
< 1 2