Dragnet Forums

NBC (ended 1959)

Superior Dragnet series, '51 or '67?

JonJax

[1]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 18
    Original 1951 Dragnet was the best of the 2 TV incarnations with Jack Webb in my estimation. The second run of Dragnet was not as realistic as the first run. The gritty almost "film noir" look of Dragnet 1951 gave it an distinct advantage against the whimisical and surrealistic Dragnet 1967.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skeeter291

[2]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 60
    I like the '51 series better but alot of the '67 series is just remakes of the '51.

tvking1

[3]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 42

Toss-up. they were both excellent, and were good period pieces. The later series had "The LSD Story" and an episode that showed the officers on edge after MLK was assassinated, wondering when the riot would start. It turned out, LA was spared, on that occassion anyway.

The original had an episode about child molestation, and also had one about drugs, and teen violence. Frat-boy type critics delight in making fun of those episodes. Fools, all of them!

CouchPotatoDon

[4]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 1
    I agree that the first Dragnet was the best. I wish I could find a video of the episode where the cop stars interview an older guy (like me) who shows them a drawing of a Future Earthling which has just a head and saucer-shaped body, sort of a UFO creature. Future evolution goal. Anyone know the episode name or date?