Dragnet Forums

NBC (ended 1970)

Why no season two DVDs?

tvking1

[1]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 42

It's been over two years since the release of the "complete" first season (the show began in mid-season, so it was actually half a season). What's taking so long for the release of season two? If and when it does come out, I hope it will have better special features than season one. The only special feature on season one was chapter selection, which is a good feature, but I like more, things like background info.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KentAllard911

[2]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 14

I too am waiting for the further adventures of Friday and Gannon on DVD. From what I have read, as well as what I can glean from various websites including tvshowsondvd.com, Universal has a strict policy that if one season of a DVD does not sell well, then they won't pony up the rest of them. The same problem exists with Adam-12, whose DVD has only seen season 1.

Emergency, which saw season three released on 2/14/07, seems to be the only one doing well of the Mark VII productions. However, the season three DVD of Emergency was not as nicely put together as the previous seasons were. I hope I am wrong, but I see it as the shape of things to come. Universal is pretty quick to let the axe fall on DVD production if they don't sell well.

Incidentally, I am still waiting for the Six Million Dollar Man, but I ain't holding my breath.

tvking1

[3]Jul 28, 2007
    That doesn't sound too encouraging. Maybe season one of Dragnet and Adam 12 would have sold better if they had better special features, but try telling Universal that. Come to think of it, I just might do that.

ReclusiveWriter

[4]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 13

I hate the way Universal is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow with releasing new DVD's. I'm also waiting for season 2 & 3 of Dragnet, and seasons 2 & 3 of seaQuest DSV.

Look how abysmally slow they are at releasing the Law & Order series, when people are salivating for those!

ReclusiveWriter

[5]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 13

OUTSTANDING NEWS!

SHOUT! Factory has taken over release of Dragnet from Universal, and Season 2 will be hitting store shelves on July 6 of this year! Dum-de-dum-dum-DAHHHH!!!!!!

Joe Friday and Bill Gannon are BACK, baby!!!!

TheHitDog

[6]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 1

Season three will be available with a release date of December 7, 2010 as listed on Amazon.

tvking1

[7]Jan 23, 2011

Can anyone who has Season 3 tell me about it? I've heard different things, like some episodes were chopped (edited). I hope this is just a rumor. If not, I'm not sure I want to spend any money on it.

Edited on 01/23/2011 8:15am
    Edited 2 total times.

bmoshier

[8]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 46
    The only reason to buy season three is because you're a fan of Dragnet. The box set is a JOKE!! I did a two star review of it on Amazon.com.

You'll find the producers CUT the episodes.

The transfer quality is HORRIBLE. The colors washed out, color bleeding, and lack of sharpness.

Finally, there are NO sub-titles! Many Dragnet fans are hard of hearing, deaf, or simply like sub-titles. I know the sub-titles exist, as my local TV station showing Dragnet daily has them.

Those are the three reasons hopefully, some day, someone will do a better version of season three. Should you buy it in the mean time, well, it is up to you. I bought mine and will keep it, as the present TV.com editor for Dragnet, I feel I should have it around so I can review and verify information.

tvking1

[9]Mar 1, 2011

Thanks, Bmoshier. Since I am indeed a fan, I caved and went ahead and ordered Season 3, even though it doesn't sound good. I remember Shout factory's Season 2 release getting good reviews, even though it didn't have subtitles or chapter indexes like Universal's (half) Season 1 release did. It had some okay special features, but other than that, I thought Universal did a better job, inspite of all the criticism it got.

Edited on 03/01/2011 5:54am

bmoshier

[10]Jan 13, 2013
    • level: 46

tvking1 wrote:

Thanks, Bmoshier.

You're welcome.

I'd like to add something else as a FYI: When I bought seasons 2 & 3 from Amazon.com, they also added the online version to my Amazon.com Video Library automatically. I find myself watching the past episodes at home and when at the home of friends and family members, it really is convenient having access through the Internet.

Personally, I prefer owning a movie on physical material over having it online. When I can have both physical and digital access, well, that is the best of both worlds!! As for why I prefer owning the physical material:

With a physical disc you have a legal right to access the material (game, movie, TV episode, etc) FOREVER and can give it away, sell it, etc. With an online version, you have NO rights to access the material beyond the life of the provider. While I'm sure Amazon.com, Playstation Network,and other firms selling online access to digital material don't plan on going out of business fact is something could happen tomorrow and your purchase is NOW a liability NOT an asset!

Also should something happen to the Internet ... well, some would say in that case you're having access to movie, game, etc really isn't important, but . . . having something to take your mind off of the hardship, well, that would be valuable!

Digital access is wonderful in concept, but the implementation lacks big time, especially when it comes to a person's rights when a company goes through hard times. I'd feel much better if Federal law said a person had the right to access the digital material forever and the owner had to make it available either by "spinning off a copy," or via some other method. Well, I'm old school and feel when you buy something you should use it - FOREVER. (OK, and I agree nothing is forever, but when I say forever I mean forever in your and your families lifetime - say 150 years).

Bert.

Edited on 01/13/2013 2:39pm
    Edited 2 total times.