Dragon Ball GT Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Was making Goku into a kid really that bad of a story decision?

Antiyonder

[1]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 39
    I mean yeah, I understand many of the complaints towards GT, but turning him into a kid didn't seem too bad. If the series was to be rewritten, I could see him being a kid at least up until the end of The Baby Saga. Past that, would be a mistake as they have done.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Honey88foru

[2]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 7

It wasn't really a bad idea. They just didn't do it right. I mean they tried the humorous approach of Dragonball. Instead, they should have kept up with the action of Dragonball Z. Or at least thats what I would have luurrrrvvvved to see

getto_gohan

[3]Jul 31, 2007
    that wasn't bad idea it was horrible idea

Antiyonder

[4]Aug 1, 2007
    getto_gohan wrote:

Could you specify? I mean yeah having him as a kid for the whole series, I'd agree was a bad idea. Having him as a kid during the first half wouldn't have been so bad.

getto_gohan

[5]Aug 1, 2007
    Antiyonder wrote:
    getto_gohan wrote:

Could you specify? I mean yeah having him as a kid for the whole series, I'd agree was a bad idea. Having him as a kid during the first half wouldn't have been so bad.

in any point of the series because if I want to watch Goku as a child i will watch DB

KidMizzle

[6]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 10
    Antiyonder wrote:
    getto_gohan wrote:

I think what made it a horrible idea, was that at the end of DB and throughout DBZ we had seen Goku not only grow but mature as well. The power he was able to develop and wield in his body was one of the reasons the show was interesting, we didn't need to see him as a child again. Having him shrink and zapping him of a majority of his strength and making him sillier than usual made the show tougher to bear.

Ed-Ventures

[7]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 20
    It was a bit boring as we had alredy seen Goku as a kid in Dragonball
    Edited on 08/01/2007 11:25am

Antiyonder

[8]Aug 1, 2007
    KidMizzle wrote:
    Antiyonder wrote:
    getto_gohan wrote:

I think what made it a horrible idea, was that at the end of DB and throughout DBZ we had seen Goku not only grow but mature as well. The power he was able to develop and wield in his body was one of the reasons the show was interesting, we didn't need to see him as a child again. Having him shrink and zapping him of a majority of his strength and making him sillier than usual made the show tougher to bear.

And I agree for the most part, but I'm not suggesting it the way they did it. I mean have him as a kid for the first half of the series, then wished back to his adulthood at the end of the Bebi Saga.

And it's really the writing of the show which I believe was the problem. I'm not looking to change anyones opinons, just want to make sure you read mine fully before responding. Cause it seems like everyone thinks that I wanted him to be a kid for the remainder of the series.

KidMizzle

[9]Aug 1, 2007
    Antiyonder wrote:
    KidMizzle wrote:
    Antiyonder wrote:
    getto_gohan wrote:

And I agree for the most part, but I'm not suggesting it the way they did it. I mean have him as a kid for the first half of the series, then wished back to his adulthood at the end of the Bebi Saga.

And it's really the writing of the show which I believe was the problem. I'm not looking to change anyones opinons, just want to make sure you read mine fully before responding. Cause it seems like everyone thinks that I wanted him to be a kid for the remainder of the series.

I wasn't saying that, I was just giving my opinion on why the whole Goku as a kid idea didn't pan out. (no pun intended) I understand what your saying, I would've wished him back as soon as possible myself, but like you said the writing was far from being up to par.

leodonmikeraph

[10]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 14
    I think it was a great Idea, IMO it freshened things up, and he was an adult at Super Saiyan 4 so i cant complian

Merhimek

[11]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 17

I think it was cool to see SS3 Kid Goku. So no, it's not a bad idea IMO.

Rainvainz

[12]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 17
    I think It was a good idea also. It was fun seeing little goku going around with Pan, especially when she was calling him grandpa the whole time. The bad guys had to be confused.
    Edited on 08/23/2007 7:35pm
    Edited 2 total times.

KidMizzle

[13]Aug 24, 2007
    Merhimek wrote:

I think it was cool to see SS3 Kid Goku. So no, it's not a bad idea IMO.

But that version of the SS3 is the weakest version, he couldn't even sustain it at first. But, I will admit it was cool looking. lol.

Jimmy2007

[14]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 8

I personally was expecting Goku to become an adult again after they found the Dragon Balls but that did not happen so i did not really like it.

Plus why was Goku in DB as a child white and now he had a sun tan or something? He looked indian.

YoungLink89

[15]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 18
    It Wasnt So Bad. Goku Was At His Prime At The End Of Dragonball Z and he would have easily defeated any of the villians making the show not really interesting. when he was a kid it made it more of a challenge for him so it was interesting

bballm10

[16]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 8

Making Goku into a kid instantly ruined the series for me. He just didn't feel like Goku any longer. Here are some basic things I would've changed about DBGT.

- No emperor Pilaf. The whole Goku wished back into a kid thing was stupid IMO. I thought that the series would've been better if Goku were an adult.

- Trunks a CEO? In Dragonball Z Trunks never came across as the type that would lead a business tycoon. He seemed like someone who would be more like his dad and do his own thing. His character changed in Dragonball GT.

- Vegeta has a mustache? Doesn't work, looks stupid.

- Stick to the good ol' DBZ premise of: Villain threatens earth, Z-fighters fight to save the world (and eventually succeed). DBZ was a great series and had tons of fans. Why try to "fix" something that isn't broken.

- SSJ4? Red fur and black hair? Yeah, ok, you got me. It looks pretty cool, but a SSJ has golden hair. They kind of threw that whole concept down the drain didn't they....

Edited on 09/30/2007 5:55pm

pogiastig

[17]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 29

It was so spectacular we see Goku as a kid because in the reason that he can show his more abilities as a saiyans than he is not a kid.

animenhp

[18]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 11
    I din't think it was that bad of an idea

SRP76

[19]Oct 2, 2007
    What's so "bad" about it? Without Goku getting "wished younger", there wouldn't be a series. Why else would they have gone chasing around the universe for the Dragonballs?

Alphrin

[20]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 1

SRP76 wrote:
    What's so "bad" about it? Without Goku getting "wished younger", there wouldn't be a series. Why else would they have gone chasing around the universe for the Dragonballs?

They could have had Pilaf successfully wish to rule the earth for once, only to later get it taken away from him by Bebi. Goku would still need to go searching for the Dragonballs to keep the earth from exploding.