Dragon Ball Z

Bardock: The Father Of Goku

Aired Weekdays 10:30 PM Unknown on Cartoon Network

• Probably the best Dragon Ball movie/special.

I've been wondering, is this a movie or just a TV special? Opinions vary, but there's one thing we can agree on, it is absolutely brilliant. This is the first...I'll go on and call it a movie, since so many other here already has labeled it as such. Anyway, this is the first Dragon Ball movie I watched. I actually watched Dragon Ball Evolution before this one, yeah, the less said about that the better. 20th Century Fox, you are more evil than Freeza. But back to this, it rocks, it tells the story of Bardock, the father of Goku and his desperate attempt to change the future. It's not wall to wall battles and Kamehameha's. The action that is here is spectacular and it doesn't take over and sidelines the story.

It's really dramatic and it's filled with brutal violence and true tragedy. It's very downbeat, however there is brief moment that provides a glimmer of hope for Bardock before he dies. Of course we all know that Goku would grow up to fight Freeza. The moment where Bardock has this future vision, on the one hand it's appreciated and makes his death a bit less tragic. However, I would've liked to have seen a bit more, maybe a few seconds of Goku pummeling Freeza.

Out of the few Dragon Ball movies I have seen this is by far the best one, and more importantly it made me want to check out more of the series, and it washed the bad taste of DBE out of my mouth.