Dragon Ball Z Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Japanese DBZ or English DBZ

DaVulture

[21]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 23
    Oh tough call, I'll say English dubbing but Japanese music was better. The English version had some of the worse music I've ever heard but the voices were pretty good although 30% of them were done by Chris Sabat.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SuperMeteor

[22]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 27
    DaVulture wrote:
    Oh tough call, I'll say English dubbing but Japanese music was better. The English version had some of the worse music I've ever heard but the voices were pretty good although 30% of them were done by Chris Sabat.
    Meh, I'd agree with that. But the english lines sucked crap. I still like the japanese version better though.

LSSJBroly17

[23]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 1
    english dub voices with japanese dub music
    Edited on 08/25/2007 3:54pm
    Edited 2 total times.

xenherc

[24]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 10
    DaVulture wrote:
    Agree, I like English dubbing because the voices fit to their characters but Japanese music was really better.
    Edited on 08/25/2007 4:00pm

kidbuu23

[25]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 11
    ive compared some eps in jap to english and i have to go wit english.. the music in american version tops japanese, and good music is crucial to a show. and the uncut not uncut stuff really doesnt bother me that much... besides just watch the uncut english ones then... just statin my opinion is all

Slinkgirl95

[26]May 7, 2013
    • level: 15

Oh, this is gonna be a toughy. And these are just myopinions, just like everyone else.

I have to say, I like the music more in Japanese. The English version has always annoyed me so damn much. Some of it is fine, but most of the time, the dramatic music with all the rock and electronic/techno parts just really get to me, and they're so loud, and I just find them annoying. You know, just because it's about guys fighting, does it really need a change in music? In every anime, they feel they need to change the music. I will say, it isn't the best Japanese anime music I've ever heard, it is pretty poor quality, but it suits it better in a way. Also, the music in the eyecatches are really annoying in English, especially the first eyecatch's music, it sounds childish and babyish, as if a baby could make that music. And also, why even bother remake the entire opening with clips from the show? That's not what they should do in anime; the original opening music was better.

Anyways, on with the voices. Some of them fit in English, but most don't. Goku's voice is perfect, his girly voice in Japanese makes me wonder why they gave him a girly voice. It works with Yukito from CardCaptor Sakura having a feminine voice but I dunno with Goku. Most of the others are alright in English, however, I do have one problem; sometimes, they actors sound like they're not even trying, like sometimes I'veheardthem sound a bit monotone when saying stuff that is pretty obvious, Krillin; "Then the earth will be safe again!" Ah, ya think? I dunno, sometimes, their voices just sound half-assed. And why is nearly everyone voiced by the same person? And Gohan's voice really does bother me a lot; it's so raspy. So yes, some of the voices actually do sound better in Japanese, even if most of them sound like girls, but at least Japanese actors can put emotion into the characters they're playing as.

I would like to watch more DBZ in Japanese, since most anime is a lot better in Japanese.

I dunno, just my opinions.

starfish98

[27]May 28, 2013
    • level: 16

Definitely the English DBZ. The voices are just so high-pitched in the Japanese version, I can't take it seriously.

Edited on 05/28/2013 7:39pm