We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Dragon Ball Z Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Official Live Action Movie Discusion Thread (Movie Spoilers)

dom9041543

[521]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 4
    You miss inturpeted what I said, I love great plot movies too, but all dragonball had many plot holes, the story seemed so epic because we were kids, the movie does capture the essense of dragonball, because of the comedy and action.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dom9041543

[522]Apr 4, 2009
    It's missing 30 minutes and it's in low quality, watch it in the theators

edmasterchaos

[523]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 41

Yeah, i lost interest in it after a while, and if it's not full, some scenes that develop others could be missed and i would un-fairly say it sucks.

Btw, was Piccolo's first scene in that airship with the red ball? or did he have something before that that the site didn't upload? or do they simply explain how/why he showed up out of nowhere later in the movie?

From what i saw, i got mixed feelings, the fight was decent, the second was meh, goku is a real douche at parts, chi chi is ok, very much a modern Chi Chi actually, and, they messed up with the nameks, 'they almost destroyed the world about 2000 years ago' only God knew about nameks back then, and they're all peaceful anyway >.>

Still, i find that amusing, Jesus died for our sins, and to kill all nameks

deckzone3000

[524]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 20

I have yet to see a single commercial for this movie on tv. I guess they don't want to make any money off of it.

dom9041543 wrote:
    I personally think the movie was good, it would be great if you don't compare it to the anime, which is hard to do when the movie carries the title, so I suggest that you watch the movie more than one. We are all dragonball fans so we should go see the movie on april 8. PS: You'll hate the movie if you are like, forty (deckzone).
    You have some problem with me? lol And you're way off on the age assumption there.

MoCrovellie

[525]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 11

Let me first start by saying this, i am a big fan of dragonball, and loved the Anime. I even liked the Dragonball GT, even thou it wasn't like Dbz.

But this movie is awfull, just awfull. The story is wrong, Goku isn't Goku, he doesn't get mad. The dialogue was horrible, the setting was awfull, the acting was even worse, exept Piccolo had some credibility. They have taken something good and ruined it, there was a lott they could do, start with a origins story and be faithfull with the Manga/Anime. What's this crap, i am goku, i am Oozaru??? WTF!!!! The fight seens where bad to, and Grandpa Gohan would be better fit to play Roshi, he looks the look.

The worst part is they are thinking of sequels??? Dang this will ruin dragonball.

They should just have made another Anime.

KingofIPirates

[526]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 32
    I completely agree, this was possible the worst adaptation I've ever seen.

edmasterchaos

[527]Apr 13, 2009
    It's kinda funny though, DBK and DBE came out almost at the same time, it's like america and japan got a project to do a cheap cash in:
    Teacher: ok, you 2, DBZ can give you money, you can cash in, use any methods, except another videogame like the thousands we already have, they don't need you.

Japan: ok... let's see, DBZ is based on a manga, which already has a re-print... the anime had to fill tons of things to make time, and was released decades ago... we got technology and HD, and we know exactly what happens in the manga, so... we could re-make the series to make it faithful to the manga by cutting it and making it HD, we don't even need to re-animate, that'll save money, and people will think it's cuz we want to keep it as un-touched as possible, some re-recording here and there, another hit pop song and there we go, a two year long project that will not take that much money to do and will surely give profit!

U.S.: ...i know, i'll make a movie, like with superman, spiderman, hulk and all those guys, i'll hire a random guy to write the script, it's about a japanese kid who can use powers and turns into a monkey while a green guy wants to destroy the world? that's all the info we need... japanese guys look emo, so the main guy will be an emo-ish boy! throw in just enough money so i can have more money for myself! people will love it, and i'll make sequels! oh, and a videogame of the movie!

deckzone3000

[528]Apr 13, 2009

For U.S.:
    Day 1 - $2,125,000
    Day 2 - $1,550,000
    Day 3 - $975,000

I think that qualifies as a bomb. Hopefully that will discourage any sequal.

KingofIPirates

[529]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 32
    Glad to hear this was a bust. And I agree that it will hopefully discourage a sequel by this production group.
    Edited on 04/13/2009 10:03am

MoCrovellie

[530]Apr 13, 2009

They had a budget of 45 milion dollar, i read somewhere they already got back half of the production cost orso from the Asian Markt, i am thinking they will make a profit from it, just becauze every fanboy will want to see it. And they will make a Sequel, James Marsters (Spike from Buffy/Piccolo) says he want to make 5-7 movies if it's possible. I hope they won't, please don't let them ruin it anymore.

What they should have done:

Make an origin story, Goku crashing on the planet, Grandpa Gohan finding him, him with a Tail and changes in Oozaru at full Moon, take of the tail. And then concentrate on his teenage years, when he enters the world fighters tournament. Fighting with piccolo, they get a draw, and he gets attacked by Piccolo outside of the Tournament also. Piccolo sees dragonball, wants to get them all to wish for immortality, and Goku/Bulma/Yamcha and Krillin (where was krillin in the movie?) they fight him and stop him...

That would have been wayyyyy betterrr.

They should reboot the franchise like they did with Hulk, and get a Director/writer who has some good creds, like JJ abrams orso.

I am Goku, I am Oozaru, i have to believe in myself, i have to become both??????? WTF man. And why doesn;t he also have an orange trouser, for his fighting outfit? Instead they use a Black wide ugly pants.

Whyyy God Whyyy? It's like Mortal Kombat 2, and looks cheap. But respect to James Masters, he was the only one in the movie who performed well and made the role himself.

bballm10

[531]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 8
    By far, the worst movie I've ever seen.

dom9041543

[532]Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah it sucks, and lol I don't have a problem with you (not that I know) you seem to have the most knowledge, so I like messing with you that's all, lol.

deckzone3000

[533]Apr 21, 2009

Here's what they had in the movie review section in the newspaper here:
    "Martial-arts legend Chow Yun-Fat stars as a valiant defender of the Earth in a live-action spinoff of the card-collecting game."

edmasterchaos

[534]Apr 21, 2009
    deckzone3000 wrote:

"Martial-arts legend Chow Yun-Fat stars as a valiant defender of the Earth in a live-action spinoff of the card-collecting game."

It's a movie of DragonBall Z, not Dragon-Ball-Oh!
    XD

Yeah, i figured not many people would take it seriously.

MoCrovellie

[535]May 6, 2009
    deckzone3000 wrote:

Lol and Chow Yun Fat wasn't even the "start" Chadwin was the star of the spinoff of the card-collecting game XD. To bad, they should just make Dragonball AF (Alternate Future). The movie could have been great, but they where in it for a quick buck.

Ok now i know why the movie sucks, it's a FOX production, and we all know how FOX is :-S.

And chances for the Movie to get a Sequel are very high, the movie made about 9 mil dollar in the US, but it made almost 47 mil on the foreign markets, grossing a total of almost 56 mil.

Check this site: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dragonball.htm

Edited on 05/06/2009 7:59pm

Iaintgadida

[536]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 7
    Honestly, I don't really understand how they can still be planning on a sequel.

dom9041543

[537]Jul 3, 2009
    Well the answer to that is they are stupid.

The_Last_Ride

[538]Sep 21, 2010
    i think they are currently in pre production for the next movie. It will likely have Nappa and Vegeta in it