Dragon Ball

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Dragon Ball Fan Reviews (93)

• Dragonball Z's Prequel is a worthy show to view!

Dragonball Z's prequel, Dragonball, tells the story of Goku's childhood and reveals the origins of characters such as Bulma, Chi-Chi, Ox King, Master Roshi, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Korin and even Piccolo! The show follows a pattern of Goku going on a Dragonball Quest then participating in the World Martial Arts Tournaments. Goku's past adversaries include Emperor Pilaf (with his minions Shu & Mai), Supreme Commander Red & the Red Ribbon Army, Mercenary Tao & the Crane Hermit and Piccolo's sinister father, King Piccolo (who is the most evil of the villains before the DBZ era)! I saw DBZ 1st, so therefore saw DB as a prequel; DB is more fantasy oriented then its science-fiction oriented sequel. A great show that I recommend to those who have questions concerning the past of DBZ characters.
  • It was entertaining to watch this show

I just remember watching it as a kid, it was good.
  • Dragonball

I like Dragonball, I think the gang looks cute being teens, especially Goku.
  • An Extraordinary series, one of the greatest animes ever in my opinion.

I'm sure there are people who hate this series but I have never met any of those people. I am not a big fan of the American version, besides the voices. I prefer the original uncut Japanese version with English subtitles. I like to see anime the way it was supposed to be seen, not how America wants us to see it. Dragonball is about the life of a kid from another planet named Goku. I do not want to spoil anything for you so please go watch it and find out what it is about. It is great. After the Dragonball series comes Dragonball Z which is a follow-up from this series. Watch it as well if you haven't. By the way, if you did not know, Dragonball is based on the Japanese comic series of the same name.
  • Absolute Rubbish!!!

0.0
    Wait! Before all the Dragon Ball fans start going nuts you might want to know that I used to be a DBZ fan.

I grew up watching this and I LOVED the show.

Any now about 6 years later I look back and I think.... WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

I learned nothing from that moronic show.

This show is a complete waste of time!

There are better things to do than watch this rubbish.

Change the channel and put on a better show e.g. Futurama.

Hell, I'd rather watch Sesame Street than sit through an episode of DBZ.
  • I HATE THAT SHOW

0.0
    omi gosh that show is so stupid if that show were cookies than nobody would eat them cuz everyone hates dbz as much as i do so....... to the creators of dragon ball z i want you to.......STOP MAKING STINKY SHOWS! cuz you are making me angry and you wont like me when im angry!
  • Boring lame action show.

Danny Phantom could easily crush all of the stupid lame heroes & villians in this show. Why make another Dragon Ball show when there is already one on the air? I guess they just have to torture us with another one because they want to. It's action shows like this that make me sick. Just take it off the flippin' air.
  • Classic 80's anime that spawned a franchise that's still alive and well today.

I love Dragon Ball, it is in my opinion, unquestionably one of the absolute best anime shows ever made, and the sequel series Dragon Ball Z is just as great, or possibly even better than this one. I'm currently watching Dragon Ball GT for the first time, and it's pretty good actually...so far at least, some annoyances, but I'll talk about that when I review that series. Dragon Ball was unbelievably popular when it aired, and still Dragon Ball Z Kai manages to pull in consistent high ratings in Japan and the US. People love the show, while others hate it, one individual I talked to, a die hard Naruto and Bleach fan thinks this is the absolute worst anime ever made, he despises it, however I made him admit that he has a bit of respect for it in the sense that Naruto probably wouldn't exst if it weren't for Dragon Ball, but to each their own. The show has spawned sequel shows, countless video games, toys and other merchandise, so there's no doubt it still has numerous fans all over the world.

Dragon Ball, this first series, is terrific, the adventure/comedy is great, thanks to the fantastic characters. Goku is such a naive, innocent character, I have a problem with other anime shows where the main hero is an obnoxious, full of himself, jerk, Goku is awesome, while still not being smug or annoying. I could go through all the other characters, but there are so many, Bulma is cool as well, Lunch or Launch is one of my favorite characters, too bad she's hardly in Dragon Ball Z at all, Master Roshi and Oolong deliver the perverted comedy that's so common in anime, however, where I had a problem with similar stuff in shows like Keroro Gunso, where the girls are 12-13, here the girls are at least of legal age, at least after my country's rules, so when they have to endure the more humiliating moments, it's not toe-curlingy uncomfortable. They do show a bit of nudity in the show, even uncovered breasts with nipples on full display, but so what? I don't mind kids seeing Dragon Ball, a bit of non-sexual nudity is perfectly fine in my book. Some of the violence however can be very intense, particularly some of the stuff in the last battle between Goku and Piccolo Jr.

The first three seasons expertly balances comedy and adventure, with some action, now I don't think the action is all that great in the majority of the first three seasons, I blame that on the animation, I guess they had a limited budget, it looks dated, of course that has it's own charm, but the action scenes suffer and are stiff and slow. However, the fourth and fifth seasons have some amazing fight scenes that are really awesome. The show is surprisingly consistent in quality and manages to keep things fresh with new surprises and characters. Of course there are some mediocre eisodes and the last five episodes flat out stinks, they're lousy and boring beyond belief, I'm glad Dragon Ball Z is a direct continuation, it would be embarrassing if these five episodes were the last we would've seen from Dragon Ball. Another thing I hate is how big moments and surprises are way too obvious, and then they spend up to multiple episodes having the characters going "who's that?", "what's happening?" and such, they drag it out and they do this a couple of times. Also, the amount of shots of people gawking at something incredible can be a bit annoying sometimes.

Part of the success of Dragon Ball can be credited it's charm, it has a genuine heart and isn't just about the kamehameha's and intense battles. I love it, I mean, I'm not a raving fanboy who thinks it's absolutely flawless in every single way, there are a few faults, but ultimately it's a great series that's well worth checking out.
  • one of the greatest animes to ever be made

dragonball was a huge show it came out in the 90s and i used to watch it all the time. goku who is a sayian and was raised by a man that discoverd him but the man died when goku transformed into a ape. goku and help of others go and finded the dragonballs. he comes across huge and powerful enimes. using his power pole and his kamaiamia wave. and ridsa nimbus clowd. i enjoyed the show it also had alot of comdedy in it which made the show one of the best animes to ever be made i think.
  • Realy cool animation film :)

This is one of that animation films i like. ecpecialy i like first season - Dragonball. The story begins then elder named Gohan who lives in the earth find a starnge boy. He is strange because he have a tail. Gohan give name for the child - Goku. Gohan raised him and trained Goku in martial arts until he died. Until Gohan dead Goku meet young girl named Bulma whos search the dragon balls who can make three whishes. There are seven dragon balls in diferent places of the all world. Together they going to long jurney. I can't tell all story. Story is very long and very cool.
  • The popular adaptation of the manga relies too heavily on fan service, but ultimately is worth a watch.

Dragon Ball is the anime adaptation of the first few volumes of the manga created by Akira Toriyama. Unlike it's more famous sequel Dragon Ball Z, it is more of a comedy series than an action one.

There are many good things to say about Dragon Ball. The jokes are genuinely funny. Even tense fights have a joke or two thrown. Although it has fewer episodes than DBZ, they creators manage to pack in a lot of material into these episodes. Thus, it doesn't drag on and on like Dragon Ball Z. Whether that is a good or a bad thing, you decide.

The shift from Japanese to English has been smoothly done in the FUNImation dub. They kept the original Jap music, which, honestly, can't be replaced.

The bad points, however, have to be noted. Toriyama relies too heavily on fan-service to make the readers - and viewers - alike. In the manga, this led to uncensored nudity of a boy (Goku) and various topless scenes of a girl (Bulma), and while some points have been toned down a little, this is not a show aimed at family viewing. Even the perverseness of Muten Roshi has been grossly magnified to the point of distastefulness, although the numerous references to "balls" are somewhat funny.

In the end, this is a pretty good show to watch. For fans of DBZ, this is worth at least a watch. I am not giving a low score. I think that it deserves a score of 7.5, not a 10, so my review will earn the ire of some fanboys. I think I should clarify that this is an open-minded review, untainted by any fanboyism.
  • one word funny

I got to admit its one of the best show i ever watch and i watch a lot. I like it so much b/c of the jokes and sexual comedy, goku a very strong but retarded kid follows bulma on her ogal for the dragon balls who encounter a lot of danger such as yamcha the bandit (didnt turn out that bad) and the red ribbon army, although later in the series is more with fighting like king piccollo and the tournament with tien and jackie chun is still funny especially the part where they met master roshi the pervert but im not gonna spoil it for ya so watch and i promise you'll laugh your pants off
  • A young boy named Goku is confronted by a hot 16 year old girl and led to collect 7 magic dragonballs. When these balls are all together an eternal dragon rises to grant one wish.

This is without a doubt, the best anime show ever created. Although Dragon ball Z got most of the attention and credit, it is dragon ball that has got the most creativity. All of the Sagas are very strong and entertaining, but what makes this anime so good is the consistent humor throughout. Master Roshi including Jackie Chun are an absolute crack up with him constantly hitting on Bulma and her constantly rejecting him. I think the match between Yamcha and Kami(in a human body) was the funniest thing I have ever seen, poor Yamcha. Just watching kid Goku in his child years was so entertaining, also the enemies were designed so well, with King Piccolo being my favorite. I would recommend this show to anyone who is a fan of an action anime. Also the first Emperor Pilaf saga is not the best but after that its all good.
  • I love this show because of the way it starts the dragonball trilogy.

This shows how Goku met his human friends. By watching dragon ball, you get the idea of whats going on in Dragon Ball Z. Watching Son Goku vs Jackie Chun, Son Goku Vs Kuririn, Son Goku vs Tenshinhan (first time), Son Goku vs Piccolo Daimaio, and of course, Son Goku vs Ma Junior AKA Piccolo Junior, makes you love the series. It never gets old. Oh it'd be nice if dragon ball A f were real. Toriyama sure got lazy and retired from writing one of, if not then the best Japanese manga ever to be writen. Say hello to my favorite trilogy set, Dragon ball.
  • martial artists with supernatural powers journey around the world looking for Dragon Balls.

i like the show because of its creativity and positive influence on the younger generations i like the characters like Goku and Krillin (excuse the spelling) im not a hardcore fan because the battles are so drawn out and lengthy it gets boring. The action in the show is gratuitous and gory and extremely entertaining. and it has great lessons in the story like girls are just as good as guys y'know like theres no sexist influences.the show needs to come back because there is a giant gargantuan cliffhanger at the end of the dang series. so that is my awesome review lol
  • The orignal dragon ball series

Okay dragon ball is even better than dragonball z because it has comedy action crazy super human kung fu fighting more hand to hand combat less and ki attacks. It has it all and one top of that this is when the humans are strong and not forgeten. If you've seen Z but you haven't seen this then watch it this is much better and what I also like about this show is that its more about skill than fighting at insane power levels that should blow up the planet by just charging up. I've watched this anime about 5 times and it never get's old.. so go watch and if you've seen it see it again. Then after you've seen it enough go watch Z but don't watch GT it sucks.
  • This was one of my favorite Anime's. All of the action was great. Wonder when I can see the Series again?

It all started with Goku as a child. He meets Bulma, Oolong, Yamcha, Puar, Master Roshi, Ox King, Chi-Chi, and Krillin. Together they try to find the seven Dragon Balls. Some of the competitions on the show are the World Martial Arts Tournament. Later on they meet Tien & Chiaotzu & enter in another Tournament. As the series continues, Goku fights the Red Ribbon Army & some Androids. Then he meets King Piccolo. Goku travels to Kami's Lookout & battles Mr. Popo. He also meets Kami & learns about the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Later on he enters in another Martial Arts Tournament & has to battle Piccolo in the finals, which he wins. The Series comes to an end & Goku & Chi-Ch- get married.
  • Really cool show.

This show totally kicks butt. It has awesome plots and great animation and good characters and awesome episodes that kick butt. I like this show cause it has fighting adventures and it is really interesting to watch for all ages people would want to enjoy this show alot. I really like Goku and he is such an awesome talented fighting boy who is from another world which is the Saiyan world. Goku is alot like Gohan in Dragon Ball Z and they are like almost twins this is just such a great show 10 out of 10. This is just to good and CN should bring it back as soon as possible.
  • The anime of animes.

I really like this show. Really, I do. Its my first anime. Dragon Ball is about a kid named Goku with a tail who lives in a remote valley. He soon meets a girl named Bulma and they form a partnership to search for seven star balls called dragon balls. If you gather all seven dragon balls, you can get granted one wish. They soon meet friends and enemies along the way of their adventures. One reason I like this anime is that it influenced others such as One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho to be made. I'm not sure we would have them without this.
  • Beginning of the Dragonball series.

A fighting master known as Gohan discovered a strange boy whom he named Goku. Gohan raised him and trained Goku in martial arts until the day he died. The young and very strong boy was on his own, but easily managed. Gohan leaves a special dragonball with Goku. Then one day, Goku meets a teenage girl named Bulma, whose search for the dragonballs brought her to Goku's home. Together, they set off to find all seven dragon balls and make a special wish. An adventure that would change Goku's life forever. See how Goku meets his life long friends Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Master Roshi, Chi Chi, Ox King and many others. Watch his adventures as a boy which all leads up to Dragonball Z and later Dragonball GT. A show worth watching for any Dragonball fan.
  • Dragonball was amazing!!!

Dragonball was an awesome series. It set up so many things that would eventually happen in Dragonball Z. The animation of Dragonball was amazing for an 80's anime. My favorite Dragonball character was Goku of course. He was just as awesome in this series as the rest. For me I saw Dragonball Z way before I saw Dragonball. So I though it was really cool to see a child version of Goku. My favorite saga was the Red Ribbon Army saga. That saga set up and major part of Dragonball Z. The Android and Cell sagas. I enjoyed the battles with all the generals. Another thing I liked about Dragonball was the equal level of fighting. Everyone was on the same level. I also enjoyed the classic world tournaments. It was awesome watching those tournaments. I would recommend watching this series if you enjoy lots of action in your anime.
  • =D

i love dragonball dragonball is basically the prelouge for dragonball z. a young namek travels around the world with his friends bulma and some pig guy while using the dragonball radar to look for dragon balls. they are secretly bein stalked by yamchi and his crew who appear to be bad guys but later turn in2 good guys. this show is about all the adventures that young goku, bulma, and a weird czat or pig i forgot have while lookin for the dragon balls. bak then gokus main travelling method was by his numbis cloud which is the same cloud koenma from yu yu hakusho uses.
  • WOW! I never thought I would ever watch an anime, until I saw Dragon Ball!

I love Dragon Ball! It is my favorite TV Show by far, and even now that it's all done, I still watch it over and over. I love the first in the Trilogy of Dragon Balls because everything in Dragon Ball seems so true and the characters are so different and corky in their own way that it just draws my attention. This is the only anime that I could ever stand watching, and I am so thankful to Akira Toriyama for creating this masterpiece. Dragon Ball is, and will always be the best TV Show out there. Thank You Akira Toriyama!
  • started it all

started it all
    This show is about a kid named goku. At the beginning of the series goku meets a girl named bulma. Bulma teaches goku about the dragonballs.so goku and bulma are on there way to get all the dragonballs and along the way they meet lots of friends. after they made there wish goku gets trained by the martial arts master known as Master Roshi. Master Roshi trains goku for the world martial arts tournament.The Dragon Ball saga just ultimately rocks. There are far less energy blasts here and way more pure martial arts fighting. Unlike DBZ, Dragon Ball also has humor, drama and romance I cant belive how good this show is,this a An adventure that would change Goku's life forever. See how Goku meets his life long friends Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Master Roshi, Chi Chi, Ox King and many others.
  • probably the best of the 3 dragonball series.

This show is about a kid named goku. At the beginning of the series goku meets a girl named bulma. Bulma teaches goku about the dragonballs. when you get all 7 dragonballs you get one wish but after you make your wish the dragonballs will turn to stone for a year. so goku and bulma are on there way to get all the dragonballs and along the way they meet lots of friends. after they made there wish goku gets trained by the martial arts master known as Master Roshi. Master Roshi trains goku for the world martial arts tournament. The rest you will have to find out on your own.
  • The first of the Dragon Ball trilogy remains to be the best.

I remember when I was four, I first caught an episode of Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami. It was where Goku was beating the crap out of Pikkon and Gohan was getting ready to go to high school. This was how I was introduced to the ultimate and awesome Dragon Ball Z series, which tells the story of a man named Goku who is of an alien race, can make himself more powerful by going blonde, and likes to beat the crap out of bad guys. So then I was introduced to the very crappy Dragon Ball GT. But at last I was introduced to the best of them all: Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball features a young boy, who is a student under the Turtle Hermit School, named Goku, who runs around collecting Dragon Balls, making friends, defeating major villains, training, helping people, and competeing in difficult tournaments. Sounds simple? No way. The Dragon Ball saga just ultimately rocks. There are far less energy blasts here (they are still there, though) and way more pure martial arts fighting. Unlike DBZ, Dragon Ball also has humor, drama and romance.

Watch Dragon Ball becuase it rocks!! 10/10
  • hooo good time

I have to say the true....thagon boll is a classic of classic,the king of anime and the simbol and a slogan of cartoon,comics and manga how forget goku,bulma,yansha,crilin and all these classic character that will live for ever,how foget this is one of the best shos ever andthe greatest enmi of faigth.like the ememi like freezaer that was bad.Well this is the story of the young goku went he had like 8 or 10 years all. this is just an introduction of the great show... how forget, theclassic attack like kame-kame-ha or the genkidama. great in all way you can thing. so tell this is really the best show witrh the best faigth in it time.yes for me yes .i remember that i believe in that show. XD
  • How i remember the day...

What great memories i have of Dragon Ball, believe it or not i only started to watch Dragon Ball one day when my mom taped it by mistake.
    When i watched the first episode i thought it was kind of strange because the first thing i saw was little Goku getting shot in the head by Bulma.
    But out of simple curiosity i started watching and soon the fights started, Goku vs Yamcha what a great battle it was and at that moment i got addicted, i started to tape all the episodes and became a serious fan, back in my school everyone was obsessed just like me and we spent all the time pretending to be the Dragon Ball characters:P
    Then came the Budokai tournaments which were the episodes that i prefer from the entire series seeing everyone fight it out, watching Goku and company fight amongst them, and watching Yamcha always get eliminated by one of the strongest opponents made be a fanatic.
    There are a view shows i can say that i was obsessed with and one of them is Dragon Ball, to think that i even tryed to do the kamehameha attack when i was younger lol i sure was crazy.
    Ohh and by the way my favourite characters were Tien, Piccolo and Krillin it's a pity Tien and Krillin lost their potential in Dragon Ball Z...but at least they still fought once in a while so it's not that bad:P
  • Dragon Ball is one of the best television series ever made.

Dragon Ball is just a great anime. It is better than Dragon Ball Z because it focuses more on adventure, comedy and martial arts more than supersonic energy blasts, although it contains great energy blasts like the Evil Containment Wave. Overall, Dragon Ball is just a great series about a boy named Goku who is searching for the Dragon Balls, defeating villains, training, competing in tournaments, and making new friends along the way.

Favorite Arc: Red Ribbon Army Arc (episodes 29-68)
    Favorite Episode: Every Episode of Dragon Ball!
    Favorite Characters: Yamcha, Tien, Kuririn, Goku, Silver

The main characters include Goku, Bulma, Yamcha, Kuririn, Roshi, Tenshinhan, Chaotzu, Oolong, Puar and Piccolo. The villains are Pilaf in Season 1, Commander Red in Season 2, Crane Hermit in Season 3, and Piccolo in Season 4. The arcs are like this:

The Teamup Arc (season 1)
    -Emperor Pilaf Saga (1-13)
    -Tournament Saga (14-28)

The Red Ribbon Army Arc (season 2)
    -Red Ribbon Army Saga (29-45)
    -General Blue Saga (46-57)
    -Commander Red Saga (58-68)

The Tournament Frenzy Arc (season 3)
    -Fortuneteller Baba Saga (69-83)
    -Tenshinhan Saga (84-101)

The Demon Piccolo Arc (season 4)
    -King Piccolo Saga (102-122)
    -Piccolo Junior Saga (123-153)

DRAGON BALL RULES!
  • Goku is the man

It was my brother who talked me into watching dragonball,when i first saw my brother watching this i used to think to myself.This looks weird why doe's that little guy have a tail.Well when i started to watch it myself everything started to come together.If you have never seen dragonball it's basically about Goku travelling the world trying to collect all the dragonballs,so that he can make a wish.But the red ribbon army are trying to collect them aswell,so his task get's made a little harder.On his journey Goku begins to find alot of friends who then decide to follow him in his task to collect the dragonballs aswell.This cartoon is full of action packed fighting and is really funny aswell,that's why it's one of my favourite cartoons.
    thanks moneyman1982