Dragon Ball

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Dragon Ball Fan Reviews (93)

• The popular adaptation of the manga relies too heavily on fan service, but ultimately is worth a watch.

Dragon Ball is the anime adaptation of the first few volumes of the manga created by Akira Toriyama. Unlike it's more famous sequel Dragon Ball Z, it is more of a comedy series than an action one.

There are many good things to say about Dragon Ball. The jokes are genuinely funny. Even tense fights have a joke or two thrown. Although it has fewer episodes than DBZ, they creators manage to pack in a lot of material into these episodes. Thus, it doesn't drag on and on like Dragon Ball Z. Whether that is a good or a bad thing, you decide.

The shift from Japanese to English has been smoothly done in the FUNImation dub. They kept the original Jap music, which, honestly, can't be replaced.

The bad points, however, have to be noted. Toriyama relies too heavily on fan-service to make the readers - and viewers - alike. In the manga, this led to uncensored nudity of a boy (Goku) and various topless scenes of a girl (Bulma), and while some points have been toned down a little, this is not a show aimed at family viewing. Even the perverseness of Muten Roshi has been grossly magnified to the point of distastefulness, although the numerous references to "balls" are somewhat funny.

In the end, this is a pretty good show to watch. For fans of DBZ, this is worth at least a watch. I am not giving a low score. I think that it deserves a score of 7.5, not a 10, so my review will earn the ire of some fanboys. I think I should clarify that this is an open-minded review, untainted by any fanboyism.