4kids and Nicktoons ruining the dub

DaVulture

[1]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 23

I was watching the Nicktoons dub, and I have to admit it was awful. The voices were good, the animation was not as great as they promised, but the thing that really kind of ticked me off was the heavy editing. The scene where blood drips off of Piccolo's arm after it gets cut, or when Piccolo kills Raditz have all been edited so much it ruins the integrity of the show.

Why is it that Naruto can have a TV PG ratings but they only allow DBZ Kai a TV-Y7. The show is on an 8:00 PM Eastern, why do they have to make it so kiddie friendly. What do you guys think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

condeigor

[2]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 30
    Actually, no, it's not Funimation's fault this time. Dragon Ball Kai itself was heavy edited so characters won't show so much blood or serious injuries. I was too wondering why, but it seems Dragon Ball was often criticized for sex content and gore, so maybe now japan producers didn't want to take full risk this time.

getto_saiyan

[3]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 8
    They just wanted to piss old fans off....

condeigor

[4]Jun 3, 2010
    I don't think they wanted to do that. DBKai is trying to reach kids, and so, they have to show a more clean series with no disturbing images.

DaVulture

[5]Jun 5, 2010
    condeigor wrote:
    I don't think they wanted to do that. DBKai is trying to reach kids, and so, they have to show a more clean series with no disturbing images.

I got the Bluray today, I don't know man they definitely had blood and were swearing all over the place. The version on Nicktoons however is completely watered down, the blood from Nappa's face are turned into bruises. I mean the dub gets ratings mostly from 9-14 year old's, but they should still be able to show a little blood at 7:30 PM at night. It's just ridiculous.

OutwarLackey123

[6]Jun 5, 2010
    • level: 1

For starters, as it was said, FUNimation is doing the dub for this.

Second, Dragon Ball Kai in Japan is edited down from the original DBZ because Japan's TV rules are stricter today compared to back then. The problem is that Japan releases their DVDs and Blu-Ray exactly the same as what aired on TV.

This means you don't see things like Goku's hole in his body after Piccolo blasts him with the Makankosappo. (I love that FUNi are using the original attack names this time around.)

The only reason you're seeing even more edits is because obviously it's on Nicktoons. But just be glad it isn't Disney XD, Viz, and Naruto Shippuden where they cut out almost all mentions or sorts of death. I personally find it more acceptable compared to how most anime ends up on TV over here.

As for most blood cuts, it's easier to just cut out the blood instead of editing it down.

Edited on 06/05/2010 10:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.

IchironForty

[7]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 1

Dragon Ball Z KAI isn't all that bad on nickToons. I was surprised they talk about death and etc there. If it was on Disney XD, you'll be hearing "the next dimension" over and over again like the Ocean dub. If you pay close attention, you can see some blood on the characters on TV. But overall it's still great. Just be happy that it's on TV at all, and NOT dubbed or edited by 4Kids.

sonyds13

[8]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 6
    OutwarLackey123 wrote:

For starters, as it was said, FUNimation is doing the dub for this.

Second, Dragon Ball Kai in Japan is edited down from the original DBZ because Japan's TV rules are stricter today compared to back then. The problem is that Japan releases their DVDs and Blu-Ray exactly the same as what aired on TV.

This means you don't see things like Goku's hole in his body after Piccolo blasts him with the Makankosappo. (I love that FUNi are using the original attack names this time around.)

The only reason you're seeing even more edits is because obviously it's on Nicktoons. But just be glad it isn't Disney XD, Viz, and Naruto Shippuden where they cut out almost all mentions or sorts of death. I personally find it more acceptable compared to how most anime ends up on TV over here.

As for most blood cuts, it's easier to just cut out the blood instead of editing it down.

So how do they remove the blood so easily?????

sonyds13

[9]Jun 9, 2010
    By the way, what is "Ocean Dub"?

LostSasuske

[10]Jun 10, 2010
    sonyds13 wrote:
    The original seasons 1 and 2 dub.

DaVulture

[11]Jun 17, 2010

LostSasuske wrote:
    sonyds13 wrote:
    The original seasons 1 and 2 dub.

That's really explaining it well. When DBZ came out in America around 1996, a Canadian production/distributor was contracted by Funimation (The company was has the rights to DBZ) to do the first 53 episodes (It was really 67 but they cut it down for editing purposes). It used to air on Fox from what I remember then it got canceled, got saved from the Grim Reaper moving to Cartoon Network then Funimation used an in-house team from Texas to dub the voices. The rest is history.

However it should be noted that at around episode 103 or so, Ocean Dub continued dubbing DBZ to run simultaneously with the Funimation version. Ocean Dub also did GT as well, but I was reading on tv.com, episode 54 (The In-House Team's first Ep) aired in like September 13th, 1999 over a year (53 aired in like May 3rd, 199, so this change almost never happened. It's really a matter of opinion which you like, I prefer Funimation but Brian Drummond does a better younger Vegeta then Chris Sabat (although Sabat's older Vegeta is much better).

Edited on 06/17/2010 10:33pm
    Edited 2 total times.

DBZAOTA482

[12]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 7

It's an attempt is to introduce a new generation of kids to dbz,just like they did for us.Look at us now,we adore the franchise,I'm even willing to touch the less attractive GT.

DaVulture

[13]Jun 26, 2010
    DBZAOTA482 wrote:

It's an attempt is to introduce a new generation of kids to dbz,just like they did for us.Look at us now,we adore the franchise,I'm even willing to touch the less attractive GT.

GT Yuck! Do you remember how awful that was?

DBZAOTA482

[15]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 7

DaVulture wrote:
    DBZAOTA482 wrote:

It wasn't that bad,though it did make a fewunecessary changes,I'd stillchoice it over Naruto......not really,but it's beats all the trash Cartoon Network puts on today.

DaVulture

[16]Jul 1, 2010
    DBZAOTA482 wrote:

DaVulture wrote:
    DBZAOTA482 wrote:

It wasn't that bad,though it did make a fewunecessary changes,I'd stillchoice it over Naruto......not really,but it's beats all the trash Cartoon Network puts on today.

I disagree with you dude, I thought GT was awful like something a 5 year old could have thought up of, I dislike Naruto but it was probably better then GT.

Toonrater21

[17]Jul 24, 2010
    • level: 19

I agree with you but I say most of the voices are just as bad. Especially what they did to Bulma. They made her TWICE as irritating.

condeigor

[18]Jul 29, 2010
    I'm still waiting for the new intro sequences from the Freeza saga to appear...

wdprince

[19]Aug 15, 2011
    • level: 21

IchironForty wrote:

Just be happy that it's on TV at all, and NOT dubbed or edited by 4Kids.

apparently, you weren't paying attention. 4kids is even in the title

Thunder113

[20]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 5

I'm honestly surprised your surprised that the content was heavily edited. From the moment I heard Nicktoons Network's announcement that it will be airing DBZ Kai I knew it was going to be edited off the wazoo.Undecided Nick and 4Kids are, of course intended for kids; the newer generation of kids. So it should come as no surprise that the content would be edited so much. If ol Toonami was still around, maybe DBZ Kai wouldn't even be on Nicktoons Network nor would it be edited as much; but unfortunately that's not the case. One of the edits I find pretty funny though, is the fact that they made it so Master Roshi isn't such a pervert like he was in the original.Tongue out I will say, though, that surprisingly the DBZ movies aren't really edited as much as the actual episodes. Like in Fusion Reborn for example, they showed the blood gush from Goku's shoulder after Janemba cut him, as well as bloody bruises and scratches. Yeah, the movies are still edited, but it doesn't change the quality of the series much (though I would really love for them to show the Majin Buu saga). Nevertheless though, just grin and bear it and watch the show as is...or go out and grab the uncut dvds. Both ways work. Laughing