Drama High: The Making Of A High School Musical

Monday 9:00 PM on ABC Premiered Dec 15, 2008 Special

Drama High: The Making Of A High School Musical Fan Reviews (1)

• Kids at a predominantly white high school in Northern Virginia try to state the black musical "The Wiz."

San Antonio Express News Review Jeanne Jakle - Jeanne Jakle I was really starting to feel the warm holiday spirit with another unscripted offering debuting this week: "Drama High: The Making of a High School Musical" on ABC airing on a special two-hour edition of "20/20" at 8 p.m. Monday, is an inspiration to watch. You won't find a more meaningful piece on TV all month.

Specifically, it focuses on a predominantly white high school's efforts to stage "The Wiz." To keep in step with the original musical, the white kids who do nab a lead are constantly urged to dig deep for "soul" and "funk." The far bigger picture extends beyond color, however, focusing on the individual teens' struggles with their egos, parents' expectations and high school relationships.

Watching these budding young actors deliver their roles and belt their numbers is an uplifting experience I can't begin to describe.

So gather your kids (if you've got 'em) or drink in this beautiful brew by yourself. I guarantee it will take the edge off Monday and leave you singing.