TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Drive Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

9 Unaired Episodes

nolefan32

[21]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 11

In response to the Reuters' article ... there are only six episodes, total - four that were aired, two more that Fox put online. The "nine remaining episodes" Reuters refers to is an error, based on the total original tally of 13 episodes that were planned (the standard number for a mid-season replacement). I guess it's not unusual for mid-season replacements to have most if not all of the episodes filmed before the first one ever airs; I know that was the case with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as Joss Whedon speaks on the DVD extras about how he was able to go back and tweak things in the early episodes even after he was wrapping up Prophecy Girl. But that's not the case with Drive - only six total episodes were ever filmed.

There won't be a DVD, at least not anytime soon. TV shows that flop don't get DVD sets, as there's really no reason for a network to believe that a series that flopped will do any better on DVD. Granted, there are exceptions, like Firefly, but that's generally driven by a crazed producer (like Joss Whedon) or a rabid fan base who just won't let it go. For whatever reason, though, the producers of Drive have moved on and there just doesn't seem to be the level of desire amongst the fans, at least not to the same degree that helped save Firefly.

And even if there was a DVD set, would you really want it? Remember, this was a show that was supposed to last two seasons prior to there being any resolution with this race. Tim Minear has said in interviews that with Drive being a mid-season replacement, 13 episodes weren't enough for him to tell the story he wanted to tell with these racers. So he had intentions to stretch this race out across the first two seasons (and if the show continued beyond that, then each season would be a race unto itself). And also in interviews, he admitted there were even a lot of plot points that he hadn't quite worked out yet, mostly because he still had a season and a half ahead of him before he had to resolve anything. Translation, there's no resolution at the end of the existing six episodes, and there probably wouldn't have been any resolution had they been able to finish all 13 first-season eps.

I saw all six episodes, and the way it ended just pissed me off all the more. That last episode ended on such a cliffhanger, it just made me all the madder that I'd never know what happens to all these characters; not even Firefly ended on the cliffhanger like this one. I know that, as much as I liked the show, this is one DVD set I don't want to own. I know that if I ever re-visit this universe, it will just piss me off all over again that it got canceled.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hulkamaniac14

[22]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 17

Drive had a good fan base and good ratings. But according to fox, in their eyes, the show needed about 10 million viewers a week to finish and be renewed.

Fox has on returning shows that are getting less viewers than Drive did!

Drive should and needs to still be on tv!

In the future when they look back, Drive is the show that needs to be remade, or continued!!!!

to quote Peter Parker "ever since FOX cancelled Drive, it's been one piece of bad luck after another."

Edited on 01/05/2008 3:20am

nolefan32

[23]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 11
    Hulkamaniac14 wrote:

Drive had a good fan base and good ratings. But according to fox, in their eyes, the show needed about 10 million viewers a week to finish and be renewed.

Fox has on returning shows that are getting less viewers than Drive did!

Drive should and needs to still be on tv!

In the future when they look back, Drive is the show that needs to be remade, or continued!!!!

to quote Peter Parker "ever since FOX cancelled Drive, it's been one piece of bad luck after another."

It isn't just about raw number of fans, it's a ratio - numbers of fans tuning in to dollars the show costs to produce. The more people tune in, the higher the network can charge for commercial time, and so an expensive show like Drive needs higher numbers than a cheap show like American Idol.