Drive Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Canceled!

maaarin

[1]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 18

Drive has been impounded.

Multiple sources confirm that Fox has axed the Tim Minear creation after less than three weeks on the air. I'll go out on a limb and say the show's crappy ratings were to blame. House encroes will take over its Monday/8 pm timeslot.

There is one piece of good news: I'm hearing the final two unaired Drive eps may get burned off on consecutive Fridays in May.

Developing...

-- Michael Ausiello...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

APPHC

[2]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 10

Yeah thats crazy, I came here, didn't see any new posts from yesterday, went to Whedonesque.com and saw it!

Such a shame mane.  Fox is just ignorant, I mean I can understand a show with low ratings, not making you money, something has to be done... but its been TWO weeks and there was a blackout for much of the show on the East coast.  What did FOX think was going to happen?  Did they really think that word of mouth was going to work after 2 weeks?  In hindsight I think maybe they should have aired the premiere on Monday instead of Sunday cause I do know people that were confused when I called them up and told them to watch ep 3 the very next day.  

You know what really sucks is being right.  I remember telling a friend I was going to tune in and watch the Drive premiere, she said "well the worst that happens is you don't like it."  I recall responding "Actually, the worst that can happen is the show is great and I really like it and FOX cancels it."

I have no love for FOX, I swear to y'all.  Also, I'm kinda confused about them airing two more eps in May you know?  That's weird, there not gonna go ahead and show them now while its fresh, they go to House and then a couple weeks down the road show them?  NBC put the low ratings but much love show The Black Donnelly's on their website to watch the eps.  They are releasing NEW eps on the website and said the show getting picked up would be determine by how many people watched them off the website.  Fox needs to get with the time and do a similiar approach.  If there has only been 7 eps of Drive produced, and we've seen 4 of them I have to assume there's little point in a DVD release unless Tim and the other creator (sorry dude but I never learned your name) just sit in front of the camera for a couple of hours and tell us what all would have unfolded.  

This sucks. 

enervator

[3]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 38
    Well, not surprising, but very disappointing.  I think the serialized drama is more or less dead because no one wants to risk watching these shows out of fear that they're going to get cancelled a few episodes in and long before any resolution is reached.  I hope they broadcast the remaining episodes somewhere and sometime.  Even if they just burn them off at 2am, I can at least record them and find out what's going on.  It's a real shame.

Lighstrike

[4]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 4
    They better not do this to us! Drive is the best show along with Heroes this season already. It's madness not giving it a real chance. The ratings will go up.

MarkJOrmesher

[5]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 8
    I'm sorry, that's just dumb.
    There was an article in USA Today about shows ratings dropping accross the board, because the ratings system has yet to include TIVO and iTunes.
    This just doesn't make sense. Why would you cancel something that has already been made!
    Fox, NBC, ABC and all these other guys need to spend some time actually thinking about thier decisions, instead of looking at thier wallets.

Banjo4321

[6]Apr 25, 2007
    I'm not surprised considering the ratings, but I am very disappointed.

Here's an article about the cancellation:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117963779.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
    Edited on 04/25/2007 2:24pm

boupas

[7]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 11
    That's so deceving !! That is a great show. I like it a lot! Is it a curse or what with Nathan Fillion ?!? Firefly and now this show ... Is a great actor, like many others in this show!

djariya

[8]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 19
    Not a surprise

The ratings were awful partly because noone trusts FOX to keep serials on the air. Also, the expense of this show didn't help matters as well. Most of my colleagues at work had no interest in watching this show because they said "the promos made it look bad" Is that going to be the new scapegoat for serials getting canned...the promos? Now I have to wonder how far ahead they are in the production schedule. I wonder if they have already shot episode 13?

feigenbaum2004

[9]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 4
    If, they show the final two episodes, and everyone gets people to tune in...Im just saying it cant hurt to try.

Buy some postcards, buy some stamps, and mail them to the addresses
    below!

Preston Beckman - Executive Vice President of Scheduling - 10201 West Pico Blvd - Building 100, Room
    4480 - Los Angeles, CA 90035

Peter Liguori - President of Entertainment FOX Broadcasting - 10201 West Pico Blvd. - Building 100,
    Room 4450 - Los Angeles CA 90035

Marcy Ross - Senior Vice President of Current Programming FOX Broadcasting - 10201 West Pico Blvd -
    Building 100, Room 4150 - Los Angeles, CA 90035

Mr. Gary Newman or Ms. Dana Walden - Twentieth Century Fox Television - 10201 West Pico Blvd -
    Building 88, Room 259 - Los Angeles, CA 90035
    FOX Broadcasting Co. (main mail address) - P.O. Box 900 - Beverly Hills, CA 90213

Suzanna Makkos - Manager of Current Programming - 10201 West Pico Blvd - Building 100, Room 4150 -
    Los Angeles, CA 90035

Preston Beckman - Executive Vice President of Scheduling - 10201 West Pico Blvd - Building 100, Room
    4480 - Los Angeles, CA 90035

Craig Erwich - Executive Vice President of Programming- 10201 West Pico Blvd - Building 100, Room
    4511 - Los Angeles, CA 90035

No Drive cannot be canceled, they can't do this to us again, I refuse to bow down to the dumbing down of television- with reality TV, people being weird and idiotic, if I want to see that I'd go to the zoo.

Fans of Drive, lets not loose the race.

APPHC

[10]Apr 25, 2007
    I think what gets me the most (and I'm not a fanboy, I know this affects all the people involved in Drive and not just Nathan) is that Fillion keeps getting these unique and wonderful roles that he makes his own and the shows have great concepts and they just aren't being given the chance. Its not like he's begging for work and picking whatever POS role he can get. The shows just aren't being given the chance, aren't drawing the audience. Drive had a LOT of advertising and promos done for it. If Firefly had had the same I think it would have made a difference. Part of the problem with Drive is because of the suspenseful nature of the show what can they really say? You know its about a race, and that a mans wife has been kidnapped, but I'm not sure anyone who saw the previews really understood it. I heard about through the Browncoats, but I actually went on the net after hearing about it and looked it up and read up on it, and thats part of what got me into the idea. I can easily see how if someone had seen a spot for Drive they would have just forgotten about it if they weren't into cars and racing. I hate he signed such a limiting contract with Fox, but I understand, it is steady work. Hopefully the next show that either him or Minear are involved in will be better received. Will we ever see Fillion break the record of 38 episodes for a tv series? How cool would it be if he was on the new Stargate show? The world needs another eccentric like Howard Hughes, I swear. Someone that if they had the money would be willing to throw the money into whatever they were making because the finished product is reward enough whether it makes its money back or not.

APPHC

[11]Apr 25, 2007
    feigenbaum2004 wrote:
    Buy some postcards, buy some stamps, and mail them to the addresses
    below! ....Fans of Drive, lets not loose the race.

Heh, I understand, and more power to anyone giving it a shot, but I've been down that road and FOX just straight up does not CARE. Do you think they really read the letters? Cause I have my doubts. The show didn't make them richER and thats what it comes down to. If I ever write FOX the BEST they can expect from me is a strongly worded letter (hate to paraphrase Titanic on y'all but if I say what comes to mind I'll probably be banned from the forums).

JmahaK

[12]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 7
    I seriously want to scream so loud right now using a profanity every other word. Ahhh wtf is wrong with fox!?!?!??!?!!!!!!!

paketep

[13]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 2

No surprise, it's FOX's style to cancel the best shows (specially if Tim Minear is at the helm).

Even knowing this was coming, it still bothers me. The only thing I can think is that I hope the b*st*rds at the top of Fox are all fired and never ever get back near a TV.

djariya

[14]Apr 25, 2007
    Don't you guys get it? FOX cancels shows because the ratings suck, not because they are good and want to piss off fans. I read posters saying this all the time and the logic is baffling.

We live in different times now. If a show doesn't get over 10 million viewers, the show is labeled a flop. Networks have so much money riding on these shows that they have to be a hit right away or they are on the bubble.

If McDonalds introduced a new Burger on their Menu and it only sold 5 a month, do you think they would keep it on the menu? Same logic applies to TV. If a show doesn't make money for a network right away, it's done.

Banjo4321

[15]Apr 25, 2007
    Don't blame the networks. Blame the viewers! If a show doesn't succeed, it is because people aren't watching it. Networks air what the majority of the American TV audience wants to see. It is OUR fault, not the networks.

tdhockey8

[16]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 5
    Can anyone tell me a fairly new show today besides heroes to actially survive its firts season on these big networks like Fox, ABC, and NBC. That's all these networks do is cancel shows. The ratings for the new shows they make will continue to go down even more because no one wants to get hooked on the show and then get it cancelled.

djariya

[17]Apr 25, 2007
    Exactly, Blame every single American who has a Nielsen box who wasn't watching. That's why Drive is history.

I get so sick of reading all this "Blame the network" rhetoric that many posters here say over and over.

djariya

[18]Apr 25, 2007
    tdhockey8 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me a fairly new show today besides heroes to actially survive its firts season on these big networks like Fox, ABC, and NBC. That's all these networks do is cancel shows. The ratings for the new shows they make will continue to go down even more because no one wants to get hooked on the show and then get it cancelled.

CBS: The Unit, Close to Home, Ghost Whisperer

NBC: Friday Night Lights, 30 Rock

ABC: Ugly Betty, Brothers and Sisters

FOX: Prison Break

day_dreamer978

[19]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 6
    I'm seriouly crying right now but i knew this would happen seeing FOX canned every serial i enjoyed watching. Come on! just let us see the end of the current arch! they can't drop it like this!

tjaman

[20]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 32
    FOX has a history of putting together shiny new shows with a target audience of, well, me, holding them above my head and making me jump for them (cooing "Catch the pretty! Catch the PRETTY!") and I watch them and eight other people watch them and they chuckle darkly and then take the good shows away and replace them with reruns and crap.

Which is cruel.

So on some level, yes. I'm blaming the network. Someone greenlit these shows knowing all about their strong but limited appeal and then stamped CANCELCANCELCANCEL all over them.

* still wondering how that apocalypse thing shook out in Point Pleasant *