Drive Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Canceled!

quiksilver_16

[21]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 12
    While its too bad to see this show go, as it was fairly good, you have to listen to some of the people who posted before: you may think that FOX is just a big bad show cancelling meanie, this is not the case this time. Drive's ratings were atrocious, it was just time for it to go.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Preboomer

[22]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 8
    tjaman, don't you just hate it when you are right? You usually are too. Fox "Drive" web sight states that the last two episodes will air this summer, but gives no dates.

CjTl2005

[23]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 11

A show needs more than two weeks to work.  I do blame the network for this one.  They can't seem to see past the end of their noses.   Yeah, it was promoted heavily, it's in a big-time slot, and I know they need to make money and stuff, but to introduce a show in the middle of 8 other shows' finales is to set it up for failure.   It takes more than two weeks to catch on.  At least let it finish out its first season for crying out loud!! 

APPHC

[24]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 10

OH PLEASE.

Do you hear yourselves?  "Don't blame the Networks, its not the networks fault, its a business, this is the nature, et cetera"

Don't expect me to jump on THAT LOAD OF BS.  You GD right I blame the network.  I blame the individuals and the corporation as a whole.  Drive did not have great ratings.  Sure I blame all the people that would rather watch Dancing with the Stars than quality entertainment, but that doesn't mean FOX gave it a chance.  Fox wanted it to succeed, thats the only good thing I can say about them.

FOX setup Firefly to be a FAILURE.  They ONLY did it to get another season of Angel (or was it Buffy?  Does it matter?).  Look at ALL the marketing they did for new shows when Firefly premiered, do ya see Firefly among them?  Of course not.  They WANTED Firefly to bomb.  They did not advertise it, they never understood it, and they only let it air at all to placate Joss Whedon.  It doesn't matter what FOX does from now on, including if they cure cancer, I will NEVER forgive them or let them live down intentionally setting that show up to fail.  It doesn't matter that the execs in charge are no longer the same people as they were when Firefly came out, the ones in charge now know how successful the DVD sales have been for them, how MANY MORE PEOPLE ACROSS THE GLOBE are aware of Firefly now, and they didn't make the decision to bring it back, so F*** them too.  

These are the people that canceled Family Guy, that have f'd up the production of Family Guy episodes so horribly there is no consistency to episode amount or airing.  

DRIVE not being a ratings success isn't FOX's fault, but what did FOX do?  They rushed the production on the new episodes specifically to launch at a certain day and time and it caused the whole thing to be moved into fast forward.  Whats amazing is you can't tell from watching the episodes that it suffered from this, but go read Tim Minear's comments on it.  At least they moved Firefly to the Friday death slot so fans could still see it.  Did they announce a move for  Drive after TWO WEEKS?  No, they simply said its done.  They could have moved it to another day and time to see, put it up against programs that weren't so established.  24 isn't beating out the other networks and giving FOX the lead in the ratings, it isn't being pulled.  Its as simple as this, it doesn't matter that 4 episodes were aired, its ONLY BEEN TWO WEEKS.  Throwing 3 episodes at people in two days (how many people might have tuned in on monday after the two hour premiere sunday and missed out on all the setup?) and then showing another episode a week later IS NOT GIVING THE FANBASE A CHANCE to HELP PROMOTE the show.  I can't even count all the people I told to watch Drive, and thats just since Monday.  So now when they go to tune in next week there's a rerun of House instead.  You don't cancel a show you believe in after two weeks, especially when its going up against an established lineup with faithful viewers the other networks have. 

Am I the only one that recalls the only person that wanted DRIVE to be a show on FOX was the president himself?  It's already been in the media that if the show didn't BLOW THE ENTIRE WORLD AWAY AT ONCE IN AN UNPRECEDENTED SUCCESS STORY that the other board members had the power to can it even if the president himself thought it had potential.  And thats EXACTLY whats happened.  DRIVE is NOT a FAILURE, its a VICTIM.  

And SHAME ON ANY OF YOU who are trying to ENABLE and JUSTIFY the BS politics of the FOX network.  

chrishicks25

[25]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 1
    djariya wrote:
    Exactly, Blame every single American who has a Nielsen box who wasn't watching. That's why Drive is history.
    this is the number 1 reason why they should chage the entire ratings system. the neilsen system is outdated and just does not work anymore.

tjaman

[26]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 32
    chrishicks25 wrote:
    djariya wrote:
    Exactly, Blame every single American who has a Nielsen box who wasn't watching. That's why Drive is history.
    this is the number 1 reason why they should chage the entire ratings system. the neilsen system is outdated and just does not work anymore.

Especially since there's a lot more reliable ways of knowing what every pet, fish and human being on the planet is watching at any given time.

Hell, we have the technology to know where everyone's cars and cellphones are at any given time.

Counting everyone who watches every show out there would at least make the ratings accurate instead of ... well, they could still be stupid, but they'd seem less stupid, somehow.

SMGslayer97

[27]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 34
    This bites. What a waste. They might as well have not even started it all. I hate this. Why is FOX is infamous for doing this? Bringing shows on the air and cancelling them when they are barely into their first season. I can't think of one network that does it as often as FOX.

And poor Nathan, twice burned! Oh man, the guy is such a great actor but he just can't seem to catch a break.

djariya

[28]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 19
    I read that only 6 episodes were filmed. That's hard to believe since they have been shooting since January. If only 6 were filmed there is no point of showing the last 2 since the story is incomplete.

tjaman

[29]Apr 25, 2007
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Poor Nathan, twice burned! Oh man, the guy is such a great actor but he just can't seem to catch a break.

Well, he'll make a network comeback soon enough ...

... shoved through a blue door wearing a baby bonnet is my guess. * shrug *

Poor guy.

tjaman

[30]Apr 25, 2007
    djariya wrote:
    I read that only 6 episodes were filmed. That's hard to believe since they have been shooting since January. If only 6 were filmed there is no point of showing the last 2 since the story is incomplete.

Why didn't they save everyone a lot of time and heartache and not show any of them?

gmvail23

[31]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 50
    I gues I should have know better that to watch a new show on Fox. It's too bad I really did like Drive.

tibiazak

[32]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 2

this is really ticking me the **** off! i can't believe that a show comes on that my parents will let me watch (can't watch heroes... dang it) and they cancel it after 2 weeks!

oh, btw, on CBS there's Jericho, and it's at the end of it's second season... 

Leppie

[33]Apr 25, 2007
    Too bad. The show was getting better too. Nathan's character was getting more and more badass.

Banjo4321

[34]Apr 25, 2007
    tibiazak wrote:
    i can't believe that a show comes on that my parents will let me watch (can't watch heroes... dang it) and they cancel it after 2 weeks!

Why wouldn't you be able to watch Heroes?

tibiazak wrote:
    oh, btw, on CBS there's Jericho, and it's at the end of it's second season...

Jericho is in its first season.

NickSeng

[35]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 17
    You know what the sucky thing was? Tim Minear was planning to wrap the arc in 13 episodes, just in case they get cancelled.

I guess he was too optimistic. >

tjaman

[36]Apr 25, 2007
    * kicks a random fox *

tjaman

[37]Apr 25, 2007
    quiksilver_16 wrote:
    FOX is just a big bad show cancelling meanie

Exactly!

jakob_187

[38]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 1

I'm kind of new to the TV.com boards (I'm more a frequenter of Gamespot), but I figured I'd chime in on this, even though my words mean nothing.

I've only gotten to see the first two episodes of this show, as my work schedule doesn't allow me to watch on Monday nights.  Regardless, the two episodes I saw were golden, and I watched them in a recap on Sunday.

Now, for all the people who are saying to blame the viewers, a couple of things for me to spout as you.  Not all of us have Nielsen boxes, so we're sorry that our votes don't count.  We're also sorry that some of us have work.  There are probably more than a few of us that were able to catch this show on the Sunday recap or two that they did. 

For those saying to blame the network, a couple of things for you as well.  First, it sucks that the show is getting cancelled, but the networks all base themselves on what I'd like to call the "money-hungry" plan.  Essentially, they want to make money on a show, and they want good ratings.  Now, when you put Drive and 24 against some kind of super mainstream appealed reality show like Dancing with the Stars...you are going to lose.  It's not that Dancing with the Stars is a good show...it's that it has far more mainstream appeal and ABC really tapped into a good reality-TV-seeking-vein.  Also, realize that the networks may not read your letters, but they see your envelopes, so if we en-masse send letter after letter with our envelopes saying "Bring Back Drive", then maybe they will listen.  I mean, remember...there was another great show called The Family Guy that got the axe from FOX because of poor ratings, and where is it now?  Sitting on top of their Sunday night line-up.

Personally, I think it would be great if Drive were just a summer replacement show along the lines of The 4400 for USA.  That show has seen considerable success, as well as great DVD sales.  I think Drive could do the same exact thing.  This way, people can dedicate themselves to Drive during the off-season in the summer, which can give it a good ratings boost, as well as please the fans.  Summer replacement shows are still a slightly untapped market, as there just aren't enough good ones.  If a show is done well enough...I don't know.

tjaman

[39]Apr 25, 2007
    I don't think your views are meaningless at all. Thanks for sharing them.

The problem with "Drive" as a summer replacement cable piece is the unavoidable expense involved by the very nature of the show. All the cars, all the gas, all the stunts and all of the editing/cameraplay, that is a show that's gonna cost way too much for USA or FX, etc.

Still ... a real shame.

cavanagh15

[40]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 35
    I think it sucks that it has been axed. I thought Vanished was really good too. Fox and ABC are cancel happy.