Drive Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Canceled!

LMH68

[81]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 57
    What a pain. I was really getting into this show.

Maybe we can get a movie now too - like Serenity.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Junkyxl19

[82]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 12

GREAT....... just received the news.. so sickening but yea not a suprise at all.. we knew even before this was gonna air it would prolly be pulled off before it got a chance to prove itself.. but hey FOX they so smart.  f*ck them. im never going to watch a new fox show untill its been assured atleast 2 seasons.. really big f*ckin sigh.. I was really starting to like this show and now this B.S. 

..l.. FOX ..l..

GeorgeFergus

[83]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 59
    lemon_accw wrote:
    i should never try new shows again until they have more than a season worth of episodes...

It still wouldn't work. Fox renewed "Tru Calling" for a second season and then canceled it after 5 episodes.

ant4buffy

[84]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 9

Doesn't FOX realise that the shows have to grow with their viewers. I really doubt we'll get a movie out of it cos its only got 6 episodes. Firefly had 11 and a proper mass cult following. Cancelling the show sucks but thats their job. Little B*stards.

chris52579

[85]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 2

This was growing into a very good show.  This is total BS......  FOX  HAS NOTHING WORTH WATCH  NOW OTHER THAN IDOL (WHICH SUCKS THSI SEASON)...

First it was  SAVED on TNT cancelled on us and now Drive  Why bother promoting the shows if you are not going to give them a full run of atleast 10 shows.

tjaman

[86]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 32
    Well, with "Saved" you had the fact that the hip antihero lead was so antiheroic as to be actually unsavory. And it was unrelieved by any genuinely likeable side characters. And that actually ran most of the summer, didn't it? I don't really remember. I watched "The Closer" and then switched off. (I didn't like it)

With "Drive," the good guys and the bad guys were switching back and forth so fast it was making my head spin. Memo to FOX: This is actually a good thing. We don't know anything about these characters but what we see, so we're learning new things all the time and most of the new things we're learning are interesting.

And now, if you'll excuse me ...

* hops into the backseat with Amy Acker *

mathiieedoobas

[87]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    I can't believe they have canceled this after TWO WEEKS! Thats just stupid. 2 weeks isn't long enough to gain a following. I'm so disappointed. I've been telling everyone i know to watch this as well, and its went and ended ALREADY. Not only are FOX a bunch of filthy StinkPigs, but they have made ME look bad.#

FOX is dead to me.

doobas™

JPPT1974

[88]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 50
    Good show that never got a chance due to not finding an audience. That stinks for sure!

tdhockey8

[89]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    The only reason I watch this s**ty network FOX is for 24. Without 24 its the worst network ever

titiembe

[90]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 44
    maaarin wrote:

Drive has been impounded.

Multiple sources confirm that Fox has axed the Tim Minear creation after less than three weeks on the air. I'll go out on a limb and say the show's crappy ratings were to blame. House encroes will take over its Monday/8 pm timeslot.

There is one piece of good news: I'm hearing the final two unaired Drive eps may get burned off on consecutive Fridays in May.

Developing...

-- Michael Ausiello...

OMFG!!! Curse you Fox? What the he11? Drive is an awesome show!

tdhockey8

[91]Apr 26, 2007
    If you are going to cancel the show on us at least have the decency to tell us how the show would have ended and key points. But since your FOX I doubt you will even waste your time on your viewers. I mean FOX actually caring about their viewers... That's funny. I HATE YOU FOX!!!!!!!!!!

SMASHgaming

[92]Apr 27, 2007

enervator wrote:
    Well, not surprising, but very disappointing.  I think the serialized drama is more or less dead because no one wants to risk watching these shows out of fear that they're going to get cancelled a few episodes in and long before any resolution is reached.  I hope they broadcast the remaining episodes somewhere and sometime.  Even if they just burn them off at 2am, I can at least record them and find out what's going on.  It's a real shame.
    The sad part is, it's not just dramas it's any new show. They wonder why no one check out new show any more. One day a newtwork will listen to us and say we will play all (enter number) episodes and will end the show the right way.

The next new show I want to see is Traveler on ABC! Will it get cancel too...

Rack

[93]Apr 27, 2007
    Nathan Fillion (sp?) needs to just NEVER come out on a fox show ever again. Second time Fox has screwed him (and the show he was on).

Next time Fox, just come over to my house and beat me with a cactus instead of getting me into a GOOD show then cancelling after two weeks. Losers.

Pereking

[94]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 3
    djariya wrote:
    Don't you guys get it? FOX cancels shows because the ratings suck, not because they are good and want to piss off fans. I read posters saying this all the time and the logic is baffling.

We live in different times now. If a show doesn't get over 10 million viewers, the show is labeled a flop. Networks have so much money riding on these shows that they have to be a hit right away or they are on the bubble.

If McDonalds introduced a new Burger on their Menu and it only sold 5 a month, do you think they would keep it on the menu? Same logic applies to TV. If a show doesn't make money for a network right away, it's done.

But don't you think that airing all the episodes of a show with low ratings, and then canceling it is more rational then putting re-runs? I don't think "House" reruns will get them those 10 millions... what I do think is that they are trying to see how many people actually watch thte show by taking it off the air in the middle of the story and then looking online for comments and waiting for e-mails. If they will find out that 10 million people commented and sent them e-mails about how much they hate FOX and how much they want "Drive" to return then they will give it another chance.
    And weren't there 13 episodes total? that's what I thought I read...

tjaman

[95]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 32
    What I heard (from NickSeng) is that Minear wrote a 13-episode arc so the show could wrap up in half a season if it wasn't picked up.

Wow was he optimistic.

aaronmcc

[96]Apr 27, 2007
    Shocker.

djariya

[97]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 19

Pereking wrote:
    djariya wrote:
    Don't you guys get it? FOX cancels shows because the ratings suck, not because they are good and want to piss off fans. I read posters saying this all the time and the logic is baffling. We live in different times now. If a show doesn't get over 10 million viewers, the show is labeled a flop. Networks have so much money riding on these shows that they have to be a hit right away or they are on the bubble. If McDonalds introduced a new Burger on their Menu and it only sold 5 a month, do you think they would keep it on the menu? Same logic applies to TV. If a show doesn't make money for a network right away, it's done.
    But don't you think that airing all the episodes of a show with low ratings, and then canceling it is more rational then putting re-runs? I don't think "House" reruns will get them those 10 millions... what I do think is that they are trying to see how many people actually watch thte show by taking it off the air in the middle of the story and then looking online for comments and waiting for e-mails. If they will find out that 10 million people commented and sent them e-mails about how much they hate FOX and how much they want "Drive" to return then they will give it another chance. And weren't there 13 episodes total? that's what I thought I read...

I understand what your saying, but airing a House re-run is guaranteed profit for the network.  I know a House re-run won't get 10 million viewers, but normally they will get around 7-8 million viewers, which is more than Drive has been getting.  Also most if not all House episodes have already made their money back since the ratings have been phenominal after Idol.  This is just extra profit for FOX to recoup losses from the remaining episodes of Drive.  Pretty much every network uses this strategy when their is a flop ratings-wise and nothing to replace it with.  It's better for FOX to air this re-run that some people will actually watch than keep airing Drive which obviously noone is watching at least according to Nielsen.

TakenMisery

[98]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 12
    I am in the Uk and therefore had Drive has not been on UK T.V, for obv reasons but I have been watching it online because it looked interesting. In actual fact, I really enjoyed it... the acting, story etc... and think that FOX has continued with it's dig to rubbishness. I love Prison Break, House and 24 but without those two BIG hits FOX would be nothing, they are up against the likes of Ugly Betty, DH, Heroes etc... and they think that because a show does not hit those rating its needs to go. They are only replacing it with reruns of House which I am assuming does not interest anyone as they have already been seen. They don't get that the show was only on for 4 eps and therefore if it would get a chance then the ratings would get better I am sure. They had done the same to Tru Calling, Point Pleasant, Firefly... I am starting to get sick of FOX, they got rid of Buffy which was picked up by WB and look how that had an afterlife after FOX. I think the managers and runners for FOX need to have a serious think about that fact that you cannot get rid of a BRAND new show just as it's beginning. The story has captured many of us I am sure and if we don't get a series, we want to know how it ends...!!!

Preboomer

[99]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 8

CLICK ON NEWS TAB  ABOVE TO READ  A REUTERS  PARAGRAPH.

There seems to be doubt as to whether  this article is accurate.  I hope it is.

Edited on 04/27/2007 6:47pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Xenor66

[100]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 2

I really think that Fox screwed the pooch with their 2 hour Sunday premier. I mean Sunday night already had people watching shows they've been watching for awhile at either 8 or 9 such as The Amazing Race, Desperate Housewive, & Brothers & Sisters.

I fell into that category, I'm addicted to TAR and although I really wanted to see Drive I had to watch TAR. Which meant that I had to TIVO Drive. And then I couldn't watch the following Monday episode because obviously I'd already missed the first two hours and had no time to watch it before the Monday episode.

So now I found myself with three hours of Drive on my Tivo. With many other TV shows returning from their hiatus at the same time I was only able to watch the first two hours of Drive by the time the Next Monday came around. So guess what, I still couldn't watch and had to TIVO because I was an hour behind.... AAAARGH!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that the Sunday 2 hour premiere seriously interfered with their schedule enough that they needed time to catch up and were unable to watch a show live that they would have watched at that time otherwise. And since TIVO/DVR/Online viewing don't reflect in ratings, FOX probably needed to give viewers like me a chance to play catch up and didn't...

If FOX had any brains at all they probably would have heavily promoted Drive during Prison Break, and 24. Then they should have

A) Started Drive the week after Prison Break ended. They would have probably maintained a decent portion of PB's audience, and they wouldn't have made the PB viewers channel surf for a few weeks risking them getting hooked on another show at that timeslot.

B)  Waited until actual Summer when it's premiere wouldn't be battling established shows. 

Edited on 04/27/2007 3:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.