Drive Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Canceled!

spydaweb

[121]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 4

I just posted an interview with Tim Minear that was done before the show was announced to be cancelled.  The cancellation pains me all the more after listening to the upbeat talk in the interview.  He manages to keep so positive about his work, even though the television industry doesn't seem to get him.

You think about all the amazing work he's produced in the past... Wonderfalls and Firefly among my favourite, and you wonder just why someone so original and talented keeps getting the shaft.

If I was a drinker, I'd be drunk right now. **raises bottle of orange juice** to another excellent show. fallen.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djariya

[122]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 19
    I think Tim Minear won't be crying about the show's cancellation. He and his writers and production staff got paid for whatever work they did. It's just a matter if and when he finds another project that has some staying power. I think he needs to look at cable..maybe Sci-Fi or USA.

buffyTVSrox

[123]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 33
    djariya wrote:
    I think Tim Minear won't be crying about the show's cancellation. He and his writers and production staff got paid for whatever work they did . . .

However, unlike FOX, I think Minear cares about more than money. This is his creation. His ideas coming to life. His plans being shattered because no one appreciates him as much as they should.

masterofaeons

[124]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 15
    It's his fault. He's a part of the Whedon curse now! He'll live for cancellation!

kspeto

[125]May 1, 2007
    • level: 2
    no way, i would watch him in just about anything.

BPix

[126]May 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    Buzzwang wrote:

Call the FOX viewer comment voicemail line and leave a message. Be polite and stern, passionate, but polite.

(310) 369-3066

Thanks for posting the number! I called and left a message requesting they post the remaining eps on iTunes. While it's painful to be left hanging mid-arc (like Surface) I loved Drive enough to watch all I can.

The rating system needs a complete overhaul. I'm invisible as I canceled my cable over a year ago (I consider a la carte and time shifting to be "basics" in this millennium). However, so far this year I've spent $180 on iTunes buying episodes. It seems absurd to me that my direct pay-per-view and all the DVR data isn't counted in viewer numbers.

And I agree with folks that Fox didn't give the show enough time. Even showing the 4 eps over a normal 4 week schedule would have given it a greater opportunity to build momentum. I understand the business operations aspects to cancelling, but I can't imagine in our fragmented entertainment world that a network thinks it can catch a zillion peoples' attention in two weeks. If they would at least commit to even 10 episodes and a complete arc (similar to how SciFi did Eureka) it would give viewers a chance to find the show and a complete DVD package for the fans if it doesn't make it.

Edited on 05/01/2007 9:42am

DarkpawT

[127]May 1, 2007

Four episodes is enough to tell if a show will go north or south, and this show was going south. Don't get me wrong, I did like the CONCEPT of the show, but there were a serious amount of flaws with this production:

1. if they used the term "illegal cross-country road race" once more, I think I would vomit. WE GET IT...we got it as of the first episode. They repeated this to death, as if by saying it more it will suddenly attract more viewers. Well, it clearly didn't.

2. it ws pretty blatantly ripped off The Amazing Race. Right from the start, but it was like holding up a neon sign with "ripoff" on it by the fourth episode when they got to do the "fast forward" to skip the rest of the checkpoints. Amazing Race viewers everywhere were likely shaking their heads at that point.

3. not enough actual "chase" scenes. It's supposed to be a race. Where are they racing? The only good race scene lasted less than a minute, with the Charger in it. More scenes like that would certainly have helped the "race" concept.

The show was a good idea, but it was poorly executed. Good acting, but really bad writing. It was doomed to fail before it aired....whoever took this on at Fox should be demoted.

Dwev

[128]May 1, 2007

Australian viewer here who watched via the grey market.  It's a shame that networks don't understand anything about 'the long tail' and how letting things live is beneficial to them.

I'm quite happy to pay for tv, but I can't even get tv from iTunes Store due to licensing restrictions.  I think the most progressive networks right now are the BBC, ABC [Australia], and CBS.  The BBC and ABC are providing many of their aired programs in video podcasts immediately after they air, and the audience grows significantly.  CBS [through Viacom] is going to start putting programs onto the Joost IPTV service, and I'll happily sit through a 30 second top and tail commercial for on-demand content, even if it isn't super high resolution.

Since I have a reasonably fast connection, and my computer hooks up to the TV, I have probably watched about 2 hours of actual broadcast television this year.  Most of the time I'm acquiring content from my favourite shows, or trailling new shows (like Drive).  Since these are only available to me through the grey market, I don't pay for them (although I would if there was a way), I don't see any commercials, and I enjoy them when I like.  Some of the better shows I'll actually also buy the DVD for.

I'm not alone in this, and the sooner networks realise that broadcast television isn't the same business as it was 10 or even 5 years ago, they might actually be able to tap into the thousands if not millions of people like me worldwide, and make a bucketload of cash.  As it is, it's the production companies that have seen this opportunity and are starting to bypass networks all together to distribute their own content via new technology.  At least the production companies will budget for an entire series, and not cancel a show midway.

A previous poster made a comparison to McDonalds, but when you buy your quarter pounder meal, you don't get half a burger, three fries and a cup of ice. 

spydaweb

[129]May 1, 2007

Good comments, I completely agree.

Dwev wrote:

Australian viewer here who watched via the grey market. It's a shame that networks don't understand anything about 'the long tail' and how letting things live is beneficial to them.

I'm quite happy to pay for tv, but I can't even get tv from iTunes Store due to licensing restrictions. I think the most progressive networks right now are the BBC, ABC [Australia], and CBS. The BBC and ABC are providing many of their aired programs in video podcasts immediately after they air, and the audience grows significantly. CBS [through Viacom] is going to start putting programs onto the Joost IPTV service, and I'll happily sit through a 30 second top and tail commercial for on-demand content, even if it isn't super high resolution.

Since I have a reasonably fast connection, and my computer hooks up to the TV, I have probably watched about 2 hours of actual broadcast television this year. Most of the time I'm acquiring content from my favourite shows, or trailling new shows (like Drive). Since these are only available to me through the grey market, I don't pay for them (although I would if there was a way), I don't see any commercials, and I enjoy them when I like. Some of the better shows I'll actually also buy the DVD for.

I'm not alone in this, and the sooner networks realise that broadcast television isn't the same business as it was 10 or even 5 years ago, they might actually be able to tap into the thousands if not millions of people like me worldwide, and make a bucketload of cash. As it is, it's the production companies that have seen this opportunity and are starting to bypass networks all together to distribute their own content via new technology. At least the production companies will budget for an entire series, and not cancel a show midway.

A previous poster made a comparison to McDonalds, but when you buy your quarter pounder meal, you don't get half a burger, three fries and a cup of ice.

Natey168

[130]May 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    Oh my God! It's horrible! I just found out! I hope the petition works.

BlacBeard0

[131]May 1, 2007
    I have just found out! I hate when this happens to a show I want to support. Could FOX have shown the remaining eps to screeners and decided that repeats of House was going to fair better in the ratings?

Networks should, at least, give time for people to warm to a show concept. I had to watch 5 eps of Prison Break (S1) before I got into it.

Or am I not as fickle as most of the US viewers?

HexusOdy

[132]May 2, 2007
    • level: 2

I agree with Dwev and its something Ive said on here before when Daybreak was cancelled in similar circumstances.

What never fails to amaze me is how a network can take a show off air after only 2 weeks or 4 episodes, this must be the 6th or 7th show in the last year thats had the same thing happen (Smith, Daybreak, Kidnapped, Black Donnellys etc) whatever happened to giving a show a chance? After all how many of todays highest regarded shows got off to amazing starts? Most of than began with average figures and became what they are through word of mouth and giving the audience a chance to grow to love the show.

Personally I really liked Drive, I think it had the right balance of character development while give you enough new info about the plot to keep you interested.  Its a shame it wasn't given more of a chance.  A little like Daybreak...cancelled after 6 airings but if you watched all 13 online it was one of the best series this year.

Unfortunately as long as TV networks are all about money with frankly no interest in the entertainment they provide or the customers they serve I can't see anything changing. I just wonder how long it will be until 75% of evening viewing in the US are horrible manufactured "reality" TV shows. Its not far away now.

Thankfully I live in the UK where such a thing has never and will never happen. Once a series starts it gets its full season aired without question.

Mythic420

[133]May 2, 2007
    DarkpawT wrote:

Four episodes is enough to tell if a show will go north or south, and this show was going south. Don't get me wrong, I did like the CONCEPT of the show, but there were a serious amount of flaws with this production:

1. if they used the term "illegal cross-country road race" once more, I think I would vomit. WE GET IT...we got it as of the first episode. They repeated this to death, as if by saying it more it will suddenly attract more viewers. Well, it clearly didn't.

2. it ws pretty blatantly ripped off The Amazing Race. Right from the start, but it was like holding up a neon sign with "ripoff" on it by the fourth episode when they got to do the "fast forward" to skip the rest of the checkpoints. Amazing Race viewers everywhere were likely shaking their heads at that point.

3. not enough actual "chase" scenes. It's supposed to be a race. Where are they racing? The only good race scene lasted less than a minute, with the Charger in it. More scenes like that would certainly have helped the "race" concept.

The show was a good idea, but it was poorly executed. Good acting, but really bad writing. It was doomed to fail before it aired....whoever took this on at Fox should be demoted.

I actually disagree

1. They didn't use it that much, and when they used it, it seemed like the right places.

2. The Amazing Race is a reality show, I have never seen it, but I doubt they have their contestants rob banks for their fast forward. Other than the 'fast forward', which I've said is new to me since I haven't seen TAR, what is a rip off from TAR that wouldn't be included in ANY story about 'an illegal car race'?

3. They are racing to each given destination, but they are also racing to a final finish line (presumably). It's like a war, the mini races are the battles, but just because you win a battle here and there doesn't mean you'll win the war, it just means that you live to continue fighting, but lose and well.... The outside world STILL exists, you can't always drive 100mph and not expect to be inconvenienced every 10 miles. Everything else that could have been revealed as to why each contestant, why race, and all other why questions are down the drain now. Like I said, I disagree with your statements, I think it could have been/was on it's way to being good, the writing was effective in getting you up to speed to the point they cancelled it, they were just never given the chance to get established and then get more creative with some explanations.

FOX is not the viewers friend.

Edited on 05/02/2007 6:40am

aaronmcc

[134]May 2, 2007
    HexusOdy wrote:

I agree with Dwev and its something Ive said on here before when Daybreak was cancelled in similar circumstances.

What never fails to amaze me is how a network can take a show off air after only 2 weeks or 4 episodes, this must be the 6th or 7th show in the last year thats had the same thing happen (Smith, Daybreak, Kidnapped, Black Donnellys etc) whatever happened to giving a show a chance? After all how many of todays highest regarded shows got off to amazing starts? Most of than began with average figures and became what they are through word of mouth and giving the audience a chance to grow to love the show.

Personally I really liked Drive, I think it had the right balance of character development while give you enough new info about the plot to keep you interested. Its a shame it wasn't given more of a chance. A little like Daybreak...cancelled after 6 airings but if you watched all 13 online it was one of the best series this year.

Unfortunately as long as TV networks are all about money with frankly no interest in the entertainment they provide or the customers they serve I can't see anything changing. I just wonder how long it will be until 75% of evening viewing in the US are horrible manufactured "reality" TV shows. Its not far away now.

Thankfully I live in the UK where such a thing has never and will never happen. Once a series starts it gets its full season aired without question.

It was actually the huge following that 24 acquired in the UK which saved it from cancellation. Sutherland told everyone this a couple of years ago. The first season wasn't that well received in the US. 

asmi999

[135]May 2, 2007
    Me too! I am sick of the networks pulling the plug on new shows, just as I get hooked. They seem to always start them mid-season, when people already have their show lineup. Why not introduce these shows in late spring when all other programming is coming to a halt. I am sure that Drive would be a hit if it was given a fair chance!

humpfer

[137]May 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    how do tou start a petation cuz i would love to start it fow is soo stupid and dont know how to treat new shows at all if you wanna cancel a show so much cancel house or 24 or the other **** that people dont watch not drive goddddddddddd!!!!!!!!111

aaronmcc

[138]May 3, 2007

humpfer wrote:
    how do tou start a petation cuz i would love to start it fow is soo stupid and dont know how to treat new shows at all if you wanna cancel a show so much cancel house or 24 or the other **** that people dont watch not drive goddddddddddd!!!!!!!!111

Hey I thought Drive was ok but no matter what your opinion of it is you simply cannot day that people don't watch House or 24. That's just factually incorrect. You're just hurting the cause by saying stuff like that. Drive got about 3million veiwers ish? 24 gets around 10-11 million. Sorry dude but the truth hurts. 

tjaman

[139]May 3, 2007
    • level: 32
    kdot1985 wrote:
    let me know if you agree or disagree with my assessment.

buffyTVSrox

[140]May 3, 2007
    • level: 33
    kdot1985 wrote:
    the girls were decent but not exceptional enough for me to keep watching it. once again, i can bring up bullrun to compare the girls because those bullrun girls are HOT. and they don't talk either so i don't need to hear them say stupid things like the girls on Drive.

Well, that sounded incredibly sexist and small-minded.
    Also, sooner or later you're going to get reported for calling people idiots (it's against TOS).
    Just because people have different opinions doesn't make them idiots. I think Deal or No Deal is a ridiculous show (based entirely on luck and all contestants do is pick cases to open), but I wouldn't call every fan of the show an idiot.

Sooner or later you're going to have to learn to deal with people with different opinions with something other than petty insults.