Drive Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Canceled!

Spongetron_X

[141]May 3, 2007
    • level: 1
    DarkpawT wrote:

Four episodes is enough to tell if a show will go north or south, and this show was going south. Don't get me wrong, I did like the CONCEPT of the show, but there were a serious amount of flaws with this production:

1. if they used the term "illegal cross-country road race" once more, I think I would vomit. WE GET IT...we got it as of the first episode. They repeated this to death, as if by saying it more it will suddenly attract more viewers. Well, it clearly didn't.

2. it ws pretty blatantly ripped off The Amazing Race. Right from the start, but it was like holding up a neon sign with "ripoff" on it by the fourth episode when they got to do the "fast forward" to skip the rest of the checkpoints. Amazing Race viewers everywhere were likely shaking their heads at that point.

3. not enough actual "chase" scenes. It's supposed to be a race. Where are they racing? The only good race scene lasted less than a minute, with the Charger in it. More scenes like that would certainly have helped the "race" concept.

The show was a good idea, but it was poorly executed. Good acting, but really bad writing. It was doomed to fail before it aired....whoever took this on at Fox should be demoted.

Rip-off? You do understand that the race is a plot device, don't you?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

metty69

[143]May 4, 2007
    • level: 8

damn ratings! Why do they keep canceling nathan fillion???

it's firefly allover again.

*barf* 

Maggot666PL

[144]May 4, 2007
    • level: 3

DarkpawT wrote:
    (...)The only good race scene lasted less than a minute, with the Charger in it. (...)

'70 Challenger. It IS a BIG difference.

csigrrrl

[145]May 5, 2007
    metty69 wrote:

damn ratings! Why do they keep canceling nathan fillion???

it's firefly allover again.

*barf* 

LOL.

Sadly, you exhibit my sentiments exactly. I'm so sick of Nathan Fillion being cancelled. He's a good TV actor and I hope we'll get a chance to see more than just a few episodes of him.

*fingers crossed*

wooolf69666

[146]May 7, 2007
    • level: 6
    o m g why oh why did they cancel it? it's very interesting and i was starting to like it (

cathgil

[147]May 7, 2007
    • level: 16
    My brother likes this show and wasn't too happy. fox is dumb it takes more than 3 shows to get a tv show off the ground.

MrsRC51

[148]May 7, 2007

I'm so fed up with TV and all the shows being canceled that we like.  I guess I should be happy that at least three of them are still on.  It is the networks fault as well as the viewers in my opinion.  As far as the nielson boxes,  who the f*&k has them anyhow?  I don't remember anyone ever asking my opinion.  I have to admit that the previews for the show didn't get me interested at first and we watched the first 3 eps online.  DH has a good point though.  You can't have a show about racing and then not have hot cars in it across the board.  I don't know about you but I'm not interested in mini-van racing.  I think I'll start reading more books.  At least they are complete.

houdini65

[149]May 7, 2007
    • level: 4
    Well... It's no surprise to me. I predicted it in my review of the first episode, which has mysteriously disappeared along with my rating of 1.3. A conspiracy?? Studios need to realize that "car based" shows are a no win decision in the traditional series format. Car chases are incredibly hard to pull off in a convincing way, and everyone can tell the difference between the two. Cutting to a bunch of different shots doesn't make a chase and bad ones are just a waste of time and people hate that. In addition, at the rate they were going, it would have been season 2 before the back-story of the main characters were explained. Good riddance!

angelandspike

[150]May 10, 2007
    • level: 66
    I read an interview with Tim in which he said that, if he had to, he could wrap it up in 13, but not in 6. We'll be left with a cliffhanger on July 4 when they air the final 2 episodes that have been filmed.

I honestly don't think they care to hear from us about this show. I believe they have no plans to revive it no matter what we say. Frankly, I don't know why they even picked it up this time. They picked it up and cancelled it twice before this. The second time they picked it up, a pilot was filmed, but that was all. That's what I saw the first 8 minutes of at B3. I tell you, that was fantastic! However, it was extremely expensive and they asked Tim if he could do it for less money. He said he could. I think he just spent more money on it than they wanted to spend even though he reduced the cost.

The reason for my pessimism is that someone wrote to AskFOX and this is the reply he/she received.

:
    Unfortunately the show was cancelled and will return to the FOX schedule one more time only - on WED 7/4/07 to air its final 2 episodes. The cast and crew have all moved on to other projects.

Thanks for writing ASKFOX

It sounds to me as if they have absolutely no interest in this show no matter what happens with the ratings. I'm also fairly certain that they don't intend to order a back 7 to get the rest of the 13 episodes filmed. It's unlikely that we'll even see this on DVD because they won't put out a set with just 6 episodes.

I just don't understand the network way of thinking. I really don't. I loved this show and I wanted to see it make it. I think it could have. There's an audience for it. It just wasn't given the chance to find that audience.

djariya

[151]May 10, 2007
    • level: 19
    I think if FOX wasn't comfortable with the amount of money Minear and Queen needed to make this show, they should have never green lighted it in the 1st place. Especially since it was a mid-season replacement.

Preboomer

[152]May 11, 2007

The characters had already come alive for me .  They had become like new friends and I will miss them.

To quote an old friend  he's "too pretty to die".

Tell all ya'll one thing though I do not want to fit into the mold that most of the programming today is aimed at.

No no no.  I'll take the good partial seasons.  They are better then most that have found success.

HandsomeDead

[153]May 15, 2007

angelandspike wrote:
    I read an interview with Tim in which he said that, if he had to, he could wrap it up in 13, but not in 6. We'll be left with a cliffhanger on July 4 when they air the final 2 episodes that have been filmed. I honestly don't think they care to hear from us about this show. I believe they have no plans to revive it no matter what we say. Frankly, I don't know why they even picked it up this time. They picked it up and cancelled it twice before this. The second time they picked it up, a pilot was filmed, but that was all. That's what I saw the first 8 minutes of at B3. I tell you, that was fantastic! However, it was extremely expensive and they asked Tim if he could do it for less money. He said he could. I think he just spent more money on it than they wanted to spend even though he reduced the cost. The reason for my pessimism is that someone wrote to AskFOX and this is the reply he/she received.
    :
    Unfortunately the show was cancelled and will return to the FOX schedule one more time only - on WED 7/4/07 to air its final 2 episodes. The cast and crew have all moved on to other projects. Thanks for writing ASKFOX
    It sounds to me as if they have absolutely no interest in this show no matter what happens with the ratings. I'm also fairly certain that they don't intend to order a back 7 to get the rest of the 13 episodes filmed. It's unlikely that we'll even see this on DVD because they won't put out a set with just 6 episodes. I just don't understand the network way of thinking. I really don't. I loved this show and I wanted to see it make it. I think it could have. There's an audience for it. It just wasn't given the chance to find that audience.

As much as I hate the phrase: QFT, mate. QFT indeed.

Preboomer

[155]May 17, 2007

After a few weeks to calm down and think about what has transpired. 

I believe that when Minear was called in to do rewriting and re-shooting of the pilot and other eppys that

Fox was trying to save it.  If you look at the original pilot cast there were only about four cast members

who made it to the new shoots.  So Fox is down a lot of money already.  Minear rewrites, recasts, and

tries to save it.  I think everyone going in knew in order for "Drive" to survive it had to hit the ground

with numbers...major numbers.  That in my opinion was why only six episodes were made.  It was going

to get six hours to gain an audience or not survive...it did the latter.  By the time we saw the third and

fourth eppys everyone involved knew it was over and had moved on to other projects.

lrsp

[156]May 18, 2007
    • level: 2
    This show was pretty interesting. I liked it. They should bring it back.

angelandspike

[157]May 19, 2007
    I don't understand how you can think FOX was trying to save a show they never really liked in the first place. If you listen to what Tim said about Drive at the seminar he did at the 2006 Creative Screenwriting Expo, you'll see that they lost interest in it very quickly. The department that is responsible for putting shows on the air had pretty well given up on it before Tim even had time to finish recasting it.

TVObsessee

[158]May 20, 2007

Does anyone know what will happen to the rest of the series?  It would be great if it would be put on dvd or if it was released as webisodes.  I loved the show, and I want it to be available to the few of us that love it.

angelandspike

[159]May 20, 2007
    They'll be airing episodes 5 and 6 on July 4, 2007 back to back beginning at 8/7c. That's all we get. They only filmed 6 episodes and they won't be filming any more than that unless a miracle happens and the show gets 30 million viewers on July 4.

I don't mean that in a snarky tone. Please don't take it that way. Well, I suppose I do mean to have a bit of snark directed at FOX, but not at you for your question.
    Edited on 05/20/2007 9:48pm

CreedP

[160]May 22, 2007
    I saw Fox had announced their fall lineup and thought -- Who cares? If you aren't alerady watching a show (24, Prison Break, House), why would you have any faith in any new show Fox puts on the air?

CREED
    July 4th, hmm? I'm there!