Drive Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

FOX managers,executives should be fired.. they are crazy and dangerous,indeed !

aredo3604

[1]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 6

How can managers mantain their position if they keep cancelling shows that just started and the viewers just couldn't be there because practically no one but a few know a new serie ?!

FOX managers are totally out of mind, they deserve to be fired. FOX needs to go bankrupt, these people have some serious issues along with CBS, ABC and the others. They keep cancelling high quality shows of any kind, they have no respect for viewers nor producers and the staff.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sarah10106

[2]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 16
    FOX is the wrost about cancelling shows. But I don't think they should go bankrupt, simply because of House and Bones. But they really made a mistake on Drive. A big one.

djariya

[3]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 19
    Oh boy another one of these rants again.

First and foremost, you cannot keep shows on the air that noone is watching!! Noone was watching Drive!! Color bars and tone would have gotten higher ratings than this show.

Also, networks cannot put shows on the air without selling ad spots. Since the ratings stunk, no advertiser wanted to buy spots on this show. If this show costed 3-4 million per episode to produce, that's alot of spots you need to sell to profit.

Networks first have to cater to advertisers so that their shows can make money.

yrag2005

[4]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    but how do we know the rating systems were right? what if everyone was downloading the eps?

djariya

[5]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 19
    Illegal downloading and watching the show on myspace isn't going to help the ratings....It's all about Nielsen.

angelandspike

[6]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 66
    They track it when the episodes are watched on their MySpace page. Still, that's not what they use to measure a show's success. It's the antiquated ratings system.
    Edited on 07/16/2007 9:44pm

downthehatch

[7]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 2
    IMO, Fox should have waited until the Fall or Summer season (if they even have one) Starting this type of show, which is expensive, in April when shows theat have loyal viewers are winding to their conclusion probably wasn't a good idea. Wasn't this up against some really big shows? I dunno, just my opinion. This was a "test run" of a series, unfortunately. Again, had they wiated till Fall and done a run of 13, this would have found an audience. Oh well at least we got the last two. Since I won't be watching 24 next season, I probably won't watch another Fox show for a while.

angelandspike

[8]Jul 19, 2007
    I agree with you. It was definitely a death sentence to use this show as a mid season replacement. It wasn't up against anything huge, though. Most everything had already gone on hiatus for the season by the time they aired it.

Aeronomer

[9]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 4
    It may be about the money but I'm still left with two great shows (Firefly and Drive) that FOX got me hooked on and then dropped. I will NEVER watch another new show on FOX. It's a shame there's not somewhere we can go to watch this kind of programming. American TV is dominated by what I consider to be crap. Surely there must be enough people like me out there to support a network that puts out decent action/adventure/scifi/fantasy/horror/etc. And don't even mention the SciFi network. They're too busy playing cheesy movies about giant bugs to show anything good (Battlestar being the notable exception).

gunnar189

[10]Aug 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    Fox is to be blamed... and not.

I liked the show, so I don't understand how they can cancel a show this good, but not enough viewers makes them can it rather quickly.

I don't know exactly how they could do it after just 3 episodes, but maybe the show had just that low rating? Whatever we do, it won't come back, sorry guys.

Though I dislike Fox for doing this, I'll still watch House, Simpsons, Family Guy, Bones and probably New Amsterdam and Sarah Connor Chronicles this fall aswell.

I don't care about the network, aslong as the show is good!

SoylentYellow

[11]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 21
    aredo3604 wrote:

How can managers mantain their position if they keep cancelling shows that just started and the viewers just couldn't be there because practically no one but a few know a new serie ?!

FOX managers are totally out of mind, they deserve to be fired. FOX needs to go bankrupt, these people have some serious issues along with CBS, ABC and the others. They keep cancelling high quality shows of any kind, they have no respect for viewers nor producers and the staff.

It was definitely mishandled, but I was never in love with this series. Hopefully the basic concept will be used again some day, its not a bad one; make it more like DEATH RACE 2000 - make it a real time 24 hour race across the country set in the near future.The rating plumetted right out of the starting gate and was very expensive to produce (lots of location shooting) and thats why it was cancelled. Id rather see TRAVELER brought back than this show.

Quality has little to do with whether a series gets the axe or not. Its all about RATINGS.

tennisrobe26

[12]Aug 14, 2007
    • level: 22
    they should go to like idk... i hate them.

nolefan32

[13]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 11

yrag2005 wrote:
    but how do we know the rating systems were right? what if everyone was downloading the eps?
    Hey, I liked Drive as much as anyone else, it was a good show. And it was great to see Nathan Fillion back on the small screen. The show wasn't quite as good as Firefly was, but it was good.

But that doesn't change the fact that it tanked in the ratings. The show started off in the red and steadily went downhill from there with each subsequent episode. True, this means that a whole lot of people missed out on a great show, but they still missed it and that's where the bottom line is.

You speak of the ratings system being antiquated, maybe people were watching it online. Maybe you're right, but you have to understand, the ratings system isn't really about measuring how many people are tuning in to watch a particular show, it's about how many people may potentially see a particular ad air. The bottom line is the money, and the networks get money by selling ads during shows, and they can charge more money for an ad during a particular show if they can show more people are tuning in to see that show and thus will potentially see the ad. If people are watching the show online, guess what, they aren't watching the ads, and so it doesn't matter if every living man, woman and child on this planet tunes in online - no ads viewed, no money for the network.

So the system works, it's just not measuring what you think it does or what you want it to.

And for everyone wanting to string up the Fox execs for cancelling this show, much as I hate them for their treatment of Firefly, they actually treated Drive right.The advertised it heavily for months prior to the first episode (to the point I almost didn't tune in because I was already sick of it, just from the ads). They made the premiere night into a two-hour event. And they paired it with their single most successful action show for its regular timeslot. Mind you, there are those that whine that 24 was declining in quality and that House or American Idol are far more successful shows, but they aren't ACTION shows like Drive - they don't have the same core audience as Drive did, whereas 24 does.

angelandspike

[14]Aug 26, 2007
    I disagree with you about the current system working. It doesn't. I usually get up and do something else while ads are on during a television broadcast, but I don't do that without pausing what I'm watching when I'm viewing something online. Since there's no way for me to skip the ads when I'm watching online, I see every one of them. The fact that they play the same ads over and over during an episode rather than having so many different ones is also a plus for the company that purchased the ads. I remember what's being advertised.

They didn't handle the advertising campaign for Drive very well at all. All you have to do is compare it to what NBC is has been doing for the last 2 months advertising their new shows to determine that. FOX started too early and made people sick of seeing the ads for something that was so far off in the air schedule, they were looking past the ads for it by the time the air date got close and was inserted into the ads. You admitted that yourself and I know you aren't the only one who had that reaction to it.

I'm not saying this stuff because FOX has cancelled several shows I like. I'm saying it because I can see how their ad campaigns are failing to reach their target audiences. As you said, it's about money and how many people will see the ads during a show's broadcast. If the networks don't change what they're doing, more and more shows will fail to pull in the viewers. The way we watch television and films is changing. The networks need to keep up with that. Sadly, FOX is behind the pack with almost everything. Serialized dramas will have a hard time making it on that network at this point in time because they choose to cater to those who like reality television instead. I know that's about money also. There's more money to be made with a show like American Idol because it costs so much less to produce than a show like Drive does. It's just sad. This show never really had a chance.

36th_Phantom

[15]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 9
    ever since drive was cancelled i havent watched a single episode of the simpsons!!! thats true!

TVObsessee

[16]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 6
    I was just on my Firefly kick when I remembered this. Honestly, I think Nathon Fillion is a magnet for stuff like this, and I think Fox has a very specific thing that they want, and when they don't get it immediately they get all pissy and cancel the good show. It's rough, especially with Josh Whedon coming out with his new Fox baby and all of us waiting in fear that it will become the next Drive or Firefly. I is scared.