DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Article on Scrooge and Indiana Jones...

ScroogeMcNix

[1]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 6

This is the best source of info on Scrooge's connection to Indiana Jones. This includes info on the famous scenein Raiders of the Lost Ark taken from Uncle Scrooge #7! This article wastaken from an issue ofUncle Scrooge Adventures that I ownfrom the late '80s.

It's called "Wind from a Dead Galleon" by Geoffrey Blum.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vathek/Wind.htm

Ty

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ScroogeMcD12345

[2]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 26
    Dead link tyler!

ScroogeMcNix

[3]Jul 31, 2007
    It certainly wasn't a dead link last night. Do yourself a favor and type in the title of the article. You should be able to find a copy of it online. Post the link if you find one! Ty
    Edited on 07/31/2007 4:01pm

tone-master21

[4]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 40

ScroogeMcNix wrote:
    It certainly wasn't a dead link last night. Do yourself a favor and type in the title of the article. You should be able to find a copy of it online. Post the link if you find one! Ty

Here is the link to the article:

http://home.earthlink.net/~vathek/Wind.html

SharanMcQuack

[5]Aug 5, 2007
    • level: 11

Well, I never actually saw the movie and I don't like Harrison Ford ( I liked Luke Skywalker better and got annoyed when they made him and Leda siblings so that she'd be interesting in Hans...and if they were the ONLY two guys in the galaxy and she HAD to like one or the other....)

but I remember Launchpad being compaired to Indiana Jones:

"Snakes! I hate snakes! No, wait, that's somebody else. I sorta like snakes."

ScroogeMcNix

[6]Aug 6, 2007
    Yeah LP didn't even know what he liekd until he thought about it. Yep he's a dim bulb but he works much better like that! "These creatures have tiny minds full of fear and ignorance. Incapable of holding a single train of thought. Ummm what was my point?" There's LP plain and simple! Part of what makes him likable is his stupidity! Every show needs comedy and though it's not always laugh out loud it gets the job done! Unfortuantely the episodes with him as the main character don't always turn out so good... "Launchpad's Civil War" "Hero for Hire" I rest my case... Ty

SharanMcQuack

[7]Aug 7, 2007

Hey, if Disney WANTS to go on missing out on the money they COULD be making by SELLING Launchpad as the True Hero he OUGHT to be, why do I care? They've been making THAT mistake for over 17 years now!

SOMEBODY is stupid around here and it's not my Launchpad, neither.

As to why you didn't like "Hero for Hire" or "Launchpad's Civil War"- maybe you did not think them making fun of Launchpad,and telling kids they were supposed to laugh at him was funny, either.

Edited on 08/07/2007 11:33am
    Edited 2 total times.

ScroogeMcNix

[8]Aug 8, 2007

No the reason I'm not too fond of "Hero for Hire" and "Launchpad's Civil War" was because they didn't have Scrooge in it and didn't feature a treasure hunt or money recovery. LP doesn't entertain me enough to have whole episodes centered around him. Yeah he's funny but next to Scrooge he's the size of a pea. I thought "Launchpad's Civil War" was pretty wordy and too historical for my liking with no treasure hunt. I've dozed off through both episodes but after several watchings of each it's better but it's no "Sweet Duck of Youth", "Aqua Ducks", or "Too Much of a Gold Thing". These episodes had LP in nice spurts of humor and not hogging the spotlight from Scrooge lol. Classic adventure stories as well!

Now back to the main topic: Indiana Jones and Uncle Scrooge!!!!!

Now compare the two logos for Indiana Jones and DuckTales. Almost the same color and letter styling! That was a tribute to Indiana Jones and to reflect the adventurous style of the show! Anybody else notice this? I think it's also a thank you to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg for using an Uncle Scrooge comic for a scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"!!!!

Ty

Edited on 08/07/2007 11:46pm

SharanMcQuack

[9]Aug 8, 2007

Sigh. Disney turned Baloo into a pilot rather than sell Launchpad. Disney turned Donald into a pilot rather than sell Launchpad. Disney invented Gizmoduck, Darkwing Duck, Bubba and Gene the Genie rather than sell Launchpad.

Why am I BOTHERING to TRY to talk sense into these nimcopoops? I LIKE Mr. McDuck, Launchpad is NOT competing with Mr. McDuck, they've done stuff with Mr. McDuck since Ducktales (while trying to bury Launchpad in limbo since DW)....YOU can sell BOTH of them, you chowderheads!!!!

Edited on 08/09/2007 11:04am

ScroogeMcNix

[10]Aug 17, 2007
    These topics almost always have ended up having to do something with Launchpad. The thing is he should have never gotten full episodes based around him that don't feaure Scrooge at all! These episodes hurt the series and made me literally fall asleep! LP is comic relief and is not interesting or entertaining enough to be the star of the show! LP is best handled in spurts and not too much at once! He doesn't have a money bin, he doesn't search for treasures, and he crashes all the time! LP is funny but gets old after a while. I thought that the interaction with Scrooge though was some of the funniest aprts of the series! LP on his own just doesn't work as well... Ty

SharanMcQuack

[11]Aug 18, 2007

Who else from "Ducktales" has been forgotten since DW? Mr. McD? Donald? HDL? I don't think so!

Besides, it not just Launchpad. Disney has a pro-geek, anti- good looking guys attitude problem that I think is costing it money and opportunites in general.

SharanMcQuack

[12]Aug 24, 2007
    Don't blaim me, blaim shopping.com for the following:

Disney's Ducktales - High-Flying Hero

Launchpad Mc Quack, an "Indiana Jones" type of adventurer, is spotlighted in two adventures that... More

Straying off topic...or am I?

The trouble with being a hero is you can't be a hero without risking being the goat. If anything goes wrong, you're the one they blaim wheither it's your fault or circumstances beyond your control. Worse, they LAUGH at you.

If there is anything most people fear more than being hurt or killed, it's LOOKING SILLY. Why do you think people may want to be a hero- or rather, want the fame, attention, glory that a hero gets- but choose to play it safe and not make waves and not get involved? It's easier. It's easier to not and say you did.

Edited on 08/25/2007 11:41am
    Edited 3 total times.

MisterMatthews

[13]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 5

ScroogeMcNix wrote:
    These topics almost always have ended up having to do something with Launchpad.

Yes, it's very annoying. The DuckTales-board has turned into a venting board for 'Sharan McQuack' for her stupid obsession.

However, if I remember correctly, scenes from both Uncle Scrooge comic's "The seven cities of Cibola" and "The prize of Pizarro" inspired Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to do Indiana Jones. Both comics were written and drawn by legendary comic book artist Carl Barks, who created the character of Scrooge McDuck.