DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Carl Barks' Greatest DuckTales Stories Volume 3??? (stories I'd like to see)

ScroogeMcNix

[1]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 6

Well this WEdnesday I purchased Volume 1 of Greatest DuckTales Stories and I will be buying Volume 2. I really hope that they produce a third volume and this is the stories I'd like tos ee in it.

"Only A Poor Old Man". Elements such as Scrooge hiding his money in the lake from the Beagles, the super termites, and the money washing downstreeam were all used in Part One of SuperDuckTales: "Liquid Assets".

"The Sunken City". Elements of this such as Scrooge dumping money into the ocean and encountering fish people, Atlantis, and even simialr design of the city of the creatureswere all usedin Part 3 of "Catch As Cash Can": Aqua Ducks".

"That's No Fable!" This story inspired the episode "Sweet Duck of Youth" but not by much. Poncey De Loon in the comic becomes Ponce De Loon and unlike the episode there really was a Fountain of Youth and and Spanish soldiers became young again by wading across it ansd stayed healthy by drinking it!

"The Second Richest Duck" since this was the beginning of Glomgold in the comics it is neccessary for this one to be reprinted in this volume. The whole thing with thenumber one dime being used as a tie breaker was used again in "Catch as Cash Can" Part 4 "Working for Scales".

"The Money Champ" was the Glomgold comic sequel and the elements of piling money side by side was used in "Working for Scales" except the money wasn't weighed in the comic.

"The Prize of Pizarro" In Part 3 of "Treasure of the Golden Suns": "Three Ducks of the Condor" there is a chiefwho wears a golden bird helmet just like in the comic.

"Son of the Sun" though it is a Don Rosa story has a lot of similrities to "Treasure of the Golden Suns" and would be a nice bonus to the volume.An object that is the golden diskmap that leads the ducks to treasure. It's possible that the Valley of the Golden Suns represents the treasureof the Incas. Just too much to this tale for it not to have inspired the episode...

What do you guys think of this lineup? Seven Barks classics and one Rosa classic!!!

Ty

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SharanMcQuack

[2]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 11

I'm sorry I was rude. I never know when "they" want something to be popular (and it ain't) so they keep pushing it and when OTHERS like it and I just don't get it.

Insane suggestion: IN ADDITION to TRYING to sell them same tired old Carl Banks retreads you've tried to sell before in Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck like 5000 times already, how about making some NEW REAL Ducktales stuff, and not just what-came-before-Ducktales because that what YOU grew up on? (Not that your the only company that puts together reprints of comics that have been reprinted way too often and can't understand why it don't sell!)

Heck, I'd settle for you translating the Foriegn langage Ducktales stuff that was never translated into English! ("Behide Prison Walls", "The Black Pyramid", etc.) There is even some United Kingdom Ducktales stuff that never came to the US, it could be "translated" from English to American. For foriegn distrubution, you could do it backwards, translate USA Ducktales stuff that they have't seen.

Edited on 09/06/2007 8:34am
    Edited 4 total times.

Antiyonder

[3]Aug 21, 2007
    • level: 39
    SharanMcQuack wrote:

Excuse me for asking , Disney, but did the first two books SELL? Or did you overprice them 'till even at a discount you don't have to sell too many of them to make a profit?

Insane suggestion: IN ADDITION to TRYING to sell them same tired old Carl Banks retreads you've tried to sell before in Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck like 5000 times already, how about making some NEW REAL Ducktales stuff, and not just what-came-before-Ducktales because that what YOU grew up on? (Not that your the only company that puts together reprints of comics that have been reprinted way too often and can't understand why it don't sell!)

Heck, I'd settle for you translating the Foriegn langage Ducktales stuff that was never translated into English! ("Behide Prison Walls", "The Black Pyramid", etc.)

Both volumes are $10.95 actually. It's not just Disney, but even companies like Marvel and DC that reprint certain material constantly.

The reason they're reprinting them in this format, obviously to have them a more organized reprint rather than stretching them acrossed the individual comics.

MisterMatthews

[4]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 5

Carl Barks himself had mixed feelings about 'DuckTales'. He thought it was good entertainment, but he thought Disney wasn't *using* the Ducks enough. Instead, they got rid of Donald, the strongest character, and added new characters. I don't think it's fair to reprint Barks-stories with the name 'DuckTales' on the cover. 'DuckTales'-fans will feel cheated and Barks-fan such as me feel it's insulting to the great Barks classics.

I'd rather see NO Rosa-comics in an otherwise all-Barks comic book. Rosa is NOT a second Barks, not by far, and he can't even stand in the shadows of the great master. His stories don't have the same feeling and spirit as the Barks classics. Rosa ACTS like he knows all about Barks, but he knows so very little...

SharanMcQuack

[5]Sep 6, 2007
    I'm going to feel some 'heat' if not flame from saying this...(I'm saying it ANYWAY!). You'ld think after all these years, Disney would forgive Launchpad for replacing Donald. Especially since THEY did it. Especially since Carl Banks, he should rest in peace, seldom depicted Donald as a hero. GET OVER IT!

MisterMatthews

[6]Sep 6, 2007

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    I'm going to feel some 'heat' if not flame from saying this...(I'm saying it ANYWAY!). You'ld think after all these years, Disney would forgive Launchpad for replacing Donald. Especially since THEY did it. Especially since Carl Banks, he should rest in peace, seldom depicted Donald as a hero. GET OVER IT!

Why don't you get over your obsession with Launchpad and let us discuss other things without you turning it into a Launchpad-thread. By the way, as I told you before, the man's name is Carl BARKS and you'd be surprised to know in how many stories by Barks Donald saves the day. I thought Fenton Crackshell was much more a replacement for Donald than Launchpad was.

SharanMcQuack

[7]Sep 7, 2007

That's just the trouble. They kept trying to replace Launchpad rather than selling him. Disney KNEW Launchpad was popular, but they fought it tooth and nail. Which is stupid.

They LET Launchpad be in DW? You mean they thought they were doing him a favor? As if DW was the preexisting character and Launchpad someone brand new they were introducing, instead of the other way around? Don't do Launchpad any more favors, PLEASE!

They demoted Launchpad to sidekick and REALLY made him look dumb in DW rather than letting him be the True Hero he morphed into sans permission. They turned Baloo and Donald into pilots rather than let Launchpad be a hero. They invented Gizmoduck and Bubba rather then let him be a hero. Many times they could of decided to give the fans what they wanted, they decided to do something else. No conspiracy. I NEVER said the word "conspiracy". Just the SAME decisions, NO, over and over again.

Maybe it's high time they tried something else?

I, for one, could not possibily care LESS about Carl Whathisname. The cartoons/comics could of grown on a tree like apples for all I care. I know you want I should care. I don't. I'm not going to, either. Sorry.

And think it's high time Disney got over it's obession with the 1950's. They keep trying to get 3D movies to go over well, and 3D MOVIES weren't even successful for that long in the 50's.

I KNOW the 1950's were golden for Disney, but that was 50 years ago. If I never read the Carl BARKS stuff because they never sold them in candy stores who's fault is that but Disney's?

I've tried to read the Carl BARKS stories recently, but I found them dull, lacking in the sense department, obliviously done on the quick and the cheap....but still a LOT better than the old Richie Rich comics I read. Those were watered down versions often the same rich-to-the-point-of-ridicolusness plots. And they were so simple, they HAD to make sense. VERY little plot. And Harvey sold them in candy stores, just like Marvel, just like DC.

The Harvey plots were so thin they were transparent. The artwork stunk. They don't come CLOSE to quality stuff like Carl Banks. Not even same ballpark. But I GREW UP ON THEM! Harvey sold them where I could see them, where I could BUY them. Disney did NOT bother. (And I don't think they HAD speciality stores in the '60's and the 70's so where WAS Disney /whiman/goldkey/dell selling their comics then, anyway?)

And if Disney will do anything to make money, why won't it sell Launchpad? Why won't it sell NEW Ducktales stuff and not more what-came-before-Ducktales stuff? "Scrooge's Quest" is nice, but I HAVE all the Disney Ducktales comics!

Edited on 09/11/2007 8:35am
    Edited 16 total times.

MisterMatthews

[8]Sep 9, 2007

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    That's just the trouble. They kept trying to replace Launchpad rather than selling him. Disney KNEW Launchpad was popular, but they fought it tooth and nail. Which is stupid.

What is stupid, is that you have a conspiracy theory about an 'evil' Disney Company that FIGHTS way to make money?? Shows how little you know about Disney. If they disliked Launchpad that much, then why did they let him return in 'Darkwing Duck'? Disney will always try all the things they can think of to make money, so assuming they would undermine themselves with this Launchpad-thing is just beyond crazy.

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    I, for one, could not possibily care LESS about Carl Whathisname. The cartoons\comics could of grown on a tree like apples for all I care.

I think that's very disrespectful of you. If you don't care about Carl BARKS, you might as well give up caring about 'DuckTales', since almost all of the characters were created by him, and more than a dozen DuckTales-episodes were based upon his comics. Barks is a legend. He was one the greatest storytellers of all time.

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    And think it's high time Disney got over it's obession with the 1950's. They keep trying to get 3D movies to go over well, and they weren't even successful for that long in the 50's.

They weren't successful for long in the 1950's? Learn some history, will you? Disney fared extremely well in the 1950's. Remember 'Cinderella' (1950), 'Peter Pan' (1953), and 'Lady and the Tramp' (1955)? Those were all successful feature-length movies! The Disney comics, 'Walt Disney's Comics and Stories' and 'Uncle Scrooge' (by Barks!) were at the height of their success, selling millions upon millions of copies: numbers never seen before or after ever again. Disney had a tremendous success with his theme park 'Disneyland', which opened its gates in 1955. And the tv-show with the same name was a big hit as well. Not to mention the overwhelming success of tv shows like 'Davy Crocket' and 'Zorro'.

Yes, the 1950's were GOLDEN times for Disney!

Edited on 09/09/2007 4:18pm

muttley123

[9]Oct 14, 2007
    well who knows if Carl Barks is still around??

SharanMcQuack

[10]Oct 15, 2007

Carl Barks is dead. That's why the books. Since artists are usually only discovered after they're dead, Disney thinks somebody likely to care. Of course, he wasn't an artist, he was a cartoonist and most people think they grow on trees like apples. "You mean somebody draws that stuff?"

Edited on 10/15/2007 10:37am

muttley123

[11]Oct 17, 2007
    You're right!!!!

MisterMatthews

[12]Oct 27, 2007

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    Carl Barks is dead. That's why the books. Since artists are usually only discovered after they're dead, Disney thinks somebody likely to care.

Carl Barks was famous already since at least the late 1960's (after he retired from drawing). Of course, his succes was much bigger and he was much more appreciated in Europe than in the US. In 1994, he did a tour through Europe to celebrate Donald's 60th anniversary, and everywhere he went, he was greeted by thousands of fans and colleagues wanting to meet him. Carl Barks passed away on August 25, 2000, at the age of 99.

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    Of course, he wasn't an artist, he was a cartoonist and most people think they grow on trees like apples. "You mean somebody draws that stuff?"

You mean a cartoonist can't be an artist? Comics are a form of art, too. (At least some are.)

SharanMcQuack

[13]Nov 1, 2007
    Of course he can! But "most" people don't seem to think so!