DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Classic Disney Characters

ToniMontana804

[1]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 15
    I'd noticed in House of Mouse, characters like Gadget, Gosalyn, Darkwing, and Launchpad didn't appear since they're not officially classic toons.

What makes them "Classic"? Is it the fact they've been around for 50, 60, or 70 years?

Here's an interesting question. Will characters like Launchpad, Darkwing, Gadget, Bonkers, Kim Possible, Stitch, and Kusco be known as classic toons 40 or 50 years from now?
    Edited on 03/14/2006 1:55am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ScroogeMcD12345

[2]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 26
    I think Bonkers has already been forgotten hasn't it? It was dropped halfway through the series.

Disney has so many classic and popular characters, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy etc, that they will be famous forever. So it's difficult for any other characters to become 'classic'.

SharanMcQuack

[3]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 11
    ScroogeMcD12345 wrote:

Disney has so many classic and popular characters, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy etc, that they will be famous forever. So it's difficult for any other characters to become 'classic'.

Especially since Disney is obsessed about anything from "the good old days" regardless of wheither it's selling or not. Which doesn't make any sense to me, but hey, it's not like I own stock in Disney. If they want to leave Ducktales and Launchpad in Limbo rather than make money by bringing it back, it's better than them bringing Ducktales back and resuming the same old "let's make Launchpad look even stupider" rountine.
    Edited on 03/14/2006 8:15am

ScroogeMcD12345

[4]Mar 15, 2006
    I wouldn't say there are obsessed with their classic characters. They still sell, so why change them? They will always be favorites with the younger generation. Warner Bros. are the same.

SharanMcQuack

[5]Mar 15, 2006
    who said anything about changing them? I just don't see why disney doesn't want to bring back ducktales, that all.

(Somebody's making a He-man movie, for crying out loud!)

STRAYING OFF TOPIC ALERT!!!

As long as Disney is highly annoyed with me anyway- you're right about Donald and Mickey being popular with LITTLE kids. So where does Disney sell their comic books- in speciality stores where 8-12 year old kids seldom shop and on the internet where you need a credit card to buy the comic books. Lovely.

They don't sell them in candy stores like God intended. They don't sell them in toy stores. The only one they sell in supermarkets is Disney adventures, which has become nothing more than a giant ad for Disney movies which Disney wants US to pay THEM for. They can want.

Sell the stupid comics where the kids are!!!!

And don't get me started about how much they COST.

END OF STRAYING OFF TOPIC ALERT!!!

Thank you, now I feel better.

Edited on 03/17/2006 11:04am
    Edited 5 total times.

ScroogeMcD12345

[6]Mar 16, 2006
    Different people in power know

ScroogeMcNix

[7]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    DuckTales is a true classic and how does Disney treat it??? With an average DVD set with no pilot, no bonus features, and lacking sound and picture quality. There's not much respect for the fans who amde that show what it is today is there??? Scrooge McDuck should have appeared on House of Mouse more often because of his days as a comic book star and of course DuckTales stardom!!!!

SharanMcQuack

[8]Mar 16, 2006
    Thank you. That goes for the rest of the Ducktales gang. Especially Launchpad. (So I'm bias.)

ToniMontana804

[9]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 15
    Anyone remember Marvel comics created the Disney Afternoon comic books back in 1995? Man, those were the days. It's ashame it was the last time they had Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers in the comic universe.

ScroogeMcD12345

[10]Mar 17, 2006
    Scrooge is one of the most famous Disney characters thats for sure, but he will always be remembered as a comic book character than as the 'DuckTales Scrooge'.

viewer876

[11]Mar 17, 2006
    • level: 14
    ToniMontana804 wrote:
    Anyone remember Marvel comics created the Disney Afternoon comic books back in 1995? Man, those were the days. It's ashame it was the last time they had Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers in the comic universe.

I have an issue of that comic series. The comic book store said they had that one issue for years, and they were about to throw it out until I came and bought it.

SharanMcQuack

[12]Mar 17, 2006
    viewer876 wrote:
    ToniMontana804 wrote:

I have an issue of that comic series. The comic book store said they had that one issue for years, and they were about to throw it out until I came and bought it.
    In case you're lookimg for more back issues: http://www.mycomicshop.com/megastore/search?pcat=Comics%2DAll&til=1213 Things might have been different if Disney had been nicer to Launchpad, I think. I can't PROVE that, but that's what I think.

Disney could prove it by bringing back Ducktales, being nice to Launchpad, just to prove me WRONG for all I care- and see what happens. If they make an honest effort to be nice to Launchpad and NOT make him look like a moron, why do I care WHY they're doing it?

ScroogeMcD12345 wrote:
    Scrooge is one of the most famous Disney characters thats for sure, but he will always be remembered as a comic book character than as the 'DuckTales Scrooge'.
    Only because Disney refuses to bring back Ducktales. Because they WANT him to be remembered that way- from cartoons I've NEVER seen. Donald, sure. Mickey, a few. Uncle Scrooge? I ain't that old. I'm too old to remember the Mickey Mouse Club and I don't give a patakoota what Disney does to Danald and company if Launchpad ain't around.
    Edited on 03/18/2006 7:39am
    Edited 5 total times.

ScroogeMcNix

[13]Mar 19, 2006
    Launchpad is meant to be on DuckTales for comedy and he's supposed to be dim-witted. There's too many happeings, statements of his, and crashes that show that's the way he is. Launchpad is very warm hearted and friendly but his brains crash more than his planes LOL! I like Launchpad and there would be a hole in the series without him but Scrooge is still "Top Duck" (episode title!)!!!!

ScroogeMcD12345

[14]Mar 20, 2006
    If Launchpad wasn't Launchpad, then he would be dull and boring, and then you wouldn't like him at all.

SharanMcQuack

[15]Mar 20, 2006
    ScroogeMcNix wrote:
    Launchpad is meant to be on DuckTales for comedy and he's supposed to be dim-witted. There's too many happeings, statements of his, and crashes that show that's the way he is. Launchpad is very warm hearted and friendly but his brains crash more than his planes LOL! I like Launchpad and there would be a hole in the series without him but Scrooge is still "Top Duck" (episode title!)!!!!

I'm sorry- but I disagree. Disney made Launchpad stupidier when they should of dropped the "Launchpad is a moron" routine. They zigged where they should of zagged.
    Edited on 03/20/2006 7:29am

MaximillianGoof

[16]Mar 21, 2006
    • level: 7
    I agree, they did but that was DARKWING DUCK. This forum is about DUCKTALES.

Spaction3

[17]Mar 21, 2006
    • level: 28
    From what you are saying, you seem to be talking about those who were on TV shows, the only classic characters I see are the ones who originally appeared in movies, though Pepper Ann did make a brief apperence on episode one of House of Mouse, though don't you think you should post this on the House of Mouse area of TV.com?

ScroogeMcNix

[18]Mar 21, 2006
    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    ScroogeMcNix wrote:

I'm sorry- but I disagree. Disney made Launchpad stupidier when they should of dropped the "Launchpad is a moron" routine. They zigged where they should of zagged.

No it's good that they left Launchpad as the dimwitted, warm hero. A perfect example of just how dimwitted LP is in "Where No Duck Has Gone Before". When the Kronks take the data from his mind to feed into their navigational computer for the directions to Earth notice that the sun orbits around the Earth and the cardinal directions are opposite of each other in Launchpad's head LOL. There's proof that he's not very smart!

I think that few people will disagree with me in the fact that Launchpad's character should not be changed. Launchpad is Launchpad and he has his high points and his low points like all other characters on the show. His high points are his comedy but his low points is when they make him the main character is some episodes and barely show Scrooge LOL.

Sometimes it works and other times it's annoying!!! In "Superdoo!" Launchpad's role as the scout leader works well expecially with his biggest fan Doofus by his side but with "Hero for Hire" even with Scrooge the episode tends to drag. I don't know if the reason is Launchpad as the star or a lack of Scrooge!!!

SharanMcQuack

[19]Mar 21, 2006
    Spaction3 wrote:
    From what you are saying, you seem to be talking about those who were on TV shows, the only classic characters I see are the ones who originally appeared in movies, though Pepper Ann did make a brief apperence on episode one of House of Mouse, though don't you think you should post this on the House of Mouse area of TV.com?

What do you think "Treasure of the Lost Lamp" was? What do you think 'Treasure of the Golden Suns" was?

[QUOTE="ScroogeMcNix"]
    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    ScroogeMcNix wrote:

No it's good that they left Launchpad as the dimwitted, warm hero. A perfect example of just how dimwitted LP is in "Where No Duck Has Gone Before". When the Kronks take the data from his mind to feed into their navigational computer for the directions to Earth notice that the sun orbits around the Earth and the cardinal directions are opposite of each other in Launchpad's head LOL. There's proof that he's not very smart!

Hello? Launchpad said afterwards, when he saw they Kronks had gotten hopelessly lost:"That's using your head." Launchpad "Fed" the Kronks mis-information ON PURPOSE!!!!

I think that few people will disagree with me in the fact that Launchpad's character should not be changed. Launchpad is Launchpad and he has his high points and his low points like all other characters on the show. His high points are his comedy but his low points is when they make him the main character is some episodes and barely show Scrooge LOL.

Launchpad SELLS. Get over it. Mr. McD sells, too-(and there owned by the Same company, so why are you acting like they are competitors? They ain't.)just better when Launchpad is around. Get over that, too.
    Edited on 03/23/2006 9:01am
    Edited 4 total times.

SharanMcQuack

[20]Mar 21, 2006
    ScroogeMcD12345 wrote:
    If Launchpad wasn't Launchpad, then he would be dull and boring, and then you wouldn't like him at all.

Have you read my fanfic stories at fanfiction.com? I like to think I've dropped the "Launchpad is a moron" routine without making him dull, boring, or the slightest bit un-Launchpad.