DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Classic Disney Characters

SharanMcQuack

[21]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 11
    MaximillianGoof wrote:
    I agree, they did but that was DARKWING DUCK. This forum is about DUCKTALES.

My point is: if disney made Launchpad out to be stupid(er), they could just as easily drop the "Launchpad is a moron" rountine.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

meleeunbeatable

[22]Mar 25, 2006
    • level: 46
    Your acting like Disney pulls the strings on everything. It was the writers of the show that did it, Disney as a whole had nothing to do with it. Someone higher gives his/her approval and that is that.

ToniMontana804

[23]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 15
    Spaction3 wrote:
    From what you are saying, you seem to be talking about those who were on TV shows, the only classic characters I see are the ones who originally appeared in movies, though Pepper Ann did make a brief apperence on episode one of House of Mouse, though don't you think you should post this on the House of Mouse area of TV.com?

Yeah, but the problem is that the House of Mouse Forum is dead. Also, my question about classic characters involves Launchpad too.
    Edited on 03/26/2006 4:47pm
    Edited 4 total times.

MisterMatthews

[24]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    Whether or not a Disney character gets 'classic' depends on the way Disney itself treats it. Characters like Snow White, Mowgli, Cinderella, Bambi etc. still show up everywhere in Disney videogames, on Disney T-shirts, coffee mugs; you name it. But you will never see any character from a 1967-1988 movie on one of these products. They just don't promote them. Basil, the great mouse detective? Sorry, never heard of him. Bernard and Bianca, the rescuers? Who are they? Oliver and his company? They're dead to Disney.

SharanMcQuack

[25]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 11

MisterMatthews wrote:
    Whether or not a Disney character gets 'classic' depends on the way Disney itself treats it. Characters like Snow White, Mowgli, Cinderella, Bambi etc. still show up everywhere in Disney videogames, on Disney T-shirts, coffee mugs; you name it. But you will never see any character from a 1967-1988 movie on one of these products. They just don't promote them. Basil, the great mouse detective? Sorry, never heard of him. Bernard and Bianca, the rescuers? Who are they? Oliver and his company? They're dead to Disney.
    Which makes sense if the fans do not remember or respond to said characters: if they don't SELL. It's when Disney chooses to "push" something that sold less well (like DW) over something that sold better (like Ducktales) that makes me go "Huh? Why are they doing THAT for?"

The Rescuers and The Great Mouse Detective did well in their day, but have been forgotten. I know Disney would prefer taking advantage of the 80's craze by bringing them back rather than Ducktales...althought I don't understand why they CARE. One fictional character they invented over the other. So what? (Heck, by that logic they should like Launchpad better. Him they made up themselves, not based on fictional characters in books.)

It's kind of a shame Basil isn't better remembered, that was a good movie. I was glad to 'lose" that nerd Bernard who was a tough, burly truck driver type mouse in the books.

STRAYING OFF TOPIC ALERT!

Disney is not the only ones who ae overly pro-geeks and nerds, who "push" them even when it may not be the best idea.

Over at Marvel, FF writers have always pushed Reed Richards too much and they do so WAY too much lately. I suspect FF2 movie sold less well because of that.

At DC/WB, Legion of Superheros always pushed Brainaic 5 too much and I suspect that helped cancel TV show. And hurts sales of comic books.

I COULD be wrong. Such TV shows/comic books are most popular with young males and I'm a 48 year old female. My tastes may be totally different than their target audience.

I don't really care what Marvel, DC/WB does anymore. For some weird reason, I still care about Disney.

END OF STRAYING OFF TOPIC ALERT!

Edited on 09/08/2008 9:06am
    Edited 5 total times.