DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Did the episodes make you think?

GlideMan3

[1]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 1

When I got DuckTales recently, I noticed a lot more things when I see it as an adult and there were things I saw in each episode that made me wonder. I'll post some questions about an episode and you think of some answers. Then post an episode and tell us what you see or thought about that episode.

The first episode is Home Sweet Homer, here comes the questions (Feel free to answer

1. How could something that happened in the past (Homer coming to Ithaquack to stop Circe) also be happening in the present? Maybe it was a paradox or perhaps something in the universe happen?

2. How did Circe get past the army in Ithaquack or manage to take it over? She's obviously very smart in managing to kick out Homer, she could've turned the army into pigs or disguised herself in a coup. Was there even an army there? A king wouldn't leave his people defenseless.

3. The medaillon that Circe has seems to be a mixed blessing for her, it helps her do magic but broken it turns into the animal she likes to turn people to. (I thought it was creative to make her a pig when the Circe in the novel turns people into pigs). Could it come from a lost bet with Aphroducky?

4. Anyone notice Circe while disguised as Ariel seemed a bit miffed when Homer mentioned Ulysses (Probably because he didn't fall for her magic?) Where the heck was Ulysses anyways? Out on a trip or fighting a war?

5. Did anyone catch all of the references from the Odyssey?

Discuss...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ScroogeMcNix

[2]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 6
    It's late and I'm tired LOL. Contact me at nixtyler on Yahoo or tynathan23 on AIM and we'll chat about DuckTales.I most rcently watched most of "Catch As Cash Can" and it is one of the best DuckTales miniseries ever!!!! I also own some of the issues of the comics that were turned into DuckTales stories! Care to pick my brain? Anyone? Ty
    Edited on 08/06/2007 10:24pm

GlideMan3

[3]Aug 13, 2007
    Anyone? Feel free to discuss!

ScroogeMcNix

[4]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 6

In terms of making me think the four parter "Catch As Cash Can" reminded me of the classic Carl Barks Scrooge comcis. Part 3 "Aqua Ducks" takes elements from "The Sunken City" aka "The Secret of Atlantis". That is in the comic Scrooge dumps all the 1916 quarters in the world into the ocean except for one to make it the rarest coin in thw world. In the episode Scrooge dumps his money into the ocean but in both cases it ends up in Atlantis. The frog men look more like Egyptian-like fish men than the frog mn in the episode. In both cases though the creatures are waering those black and green striped shorts. Just that the stripes are bigger in the episode

Also the creatures city is a more simplified looking version of Barks classic. In botthe comic and the episodethe creatures dislike air breathers. Both the comic and the story partially focus on dangers coming from the surface. It's bombs that the Atlanteans are afraid ofin the comic and pollution in the episode. The DuckTales epsiode is an undeniable classic and one of the best episodes of the series and "The Sunken City" is one of Barks best Scrooge tales that I have read!

The fourth part "Working for Scales" takes elements from Barks' "The Second Richest Duck" (first Glomgold comic appearance) and "The Money Champ" (the sequel). In the first comic Scrooge's first dime is used as a tie breaker and in the episode it is used to try to outweigh Glomgold's money pile. The two piles of money stacked side by side withone being Scrooge's and the other as Glomgold's is very similar to "The Money Champ" except instead of being weighed the money is just piled up in the comic.

Glomgold is much more evilon the show than in the comics. In the comics he's mroe like Scrooge's evil twin and they seem to own the same of everything.Glomgold even has his own money bin except with a big fancy F on it. He lives in Soth Africa and has a lion's mane of feathers around his head instead of a gray beard. There's some new info and three comcis defintiely worh reading! Out of the three "The Sunbken City" and "The Second Richest Duck" are thebest!!!!

Ty

SharanMcQuack

[5]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 11
    If you are a permenant 80's fan, what's with the love of Carl Banks stuff from the '50's?

stretchsnodgras

[6]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 2
    The thing I noticed the most about Home Sweet Homer (that I didn't originaly) is how although the nephews spend the whole episode wishing they were like Uncle Scrooge, Scrooge is actually almost incompetent in this adventure. After going through the passage, he gets relatively little done.

The nephews figure out that King Blowhard is allergic to the pollen from the fruit, save Scrooge from the sirens (Pennies, nickles quarters dimes, come to us while there's still time. Golden ducky ever bold, look into our eyes of gold - that's really funny IMO). They also get away from the monster and whirlpool, and defeat Circe.

Guess everyone has an off day. As for Circe, maybe she took over running the city/ country, while leaving Homer as nominal king in the palace. That way everyone would bother him to get her (and she believed he didn't have the guts to seek power). That's why Homer wasn't wary that Circe could have taken the palace when she was gone, she was running things from her cave.

Of course, she could have handled the people, and she did like turning people into pigs. However, this Circe (I guess it doesn't apply to the one in the Odyssey) would rather run a kingdom than a glorified pig farm.

GlideMan3

[7]Aug 19, 2007
    I thought the sirens song was funny. I agree with you that Scrooge didn't really do much in that episode. He seemed so focused on fighting Circe. Then when she reveals herself and then he asks "What's the meaning of this?" after she turns Homer into a pig. How come he didn't dodge the beam? If I were him, I would've dodged it.

I noticed her saying how much she loves her work after turning Scrooge and Homer into pigs. I thought that was funny. What did you mean stretch by a glorified pig farm? It's been a while since I read the Odyssey.

Where the heck was Ulysses? Dead or Away somewhere? Homer is his nephew (That's Latin for Odyessus, the main character in the Odyssey.)

The nephews were the real heroes in Home Sweet Homer.

Home Sweet Homer is one of my favorite episodes next to Back to the Klondike, The Money Vanishes, Maid of the Myth and other ones (It's a long list)

stretchsnodgras

[8]Aug 19, 2007
    Just meant that it's probably more fun to rule a city full of people than a city full of pigs. I read an (abridged) version of the Odyssey a long time ago, and I remember her mo was to turn all the men who came to her island into pigs.

MisterMatthews

[9]Sep 5, 2007
    • level: 5

ScroogeMcNix wrote:
    Glomgold is much more evil on the show than in the comics. In the comics he's more like Scrooge's evil twin and they seem to own the same of everything.

I disagree. In the comics, Glomgold's evil character is carefully built up by Barks from story to story. In the first, 'The second richest duck', Glomgold tries cheating and tricks to win from Scrooge. In 'The money champ' he is even willing to let Scrooge's money disappear to win. In his third and final appearance by Barks in 'So far and no safari', he even tries to murder Scrooge and his nephews by firing at them with his jet plane.

MisterMatthews

[10]Sep 5, 2007

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    If you are a permenant 80's fan, what's with the love of Carl Banks stuff from the '50's?

His name is Carl BARKS, and he is the creator of Scrooge McDuck, Gyro Gearloose, Gladstone Gander, Beagle Boys, Magica de Spell and Flintheart Glomgold!! Without Barks and his amazing ability to tell the most fantastic stories, there wouldn't be any DuckTales and NO Launchpad McQuack, whom you love so much.

GlideMan3

[11]Oct 20, 2007
    It's been a while since I posted here, but I've come across new things I haven't seen before in episodes:

In "Duckman of Aquatraz", did anyone notice the judge might have had a bias against Scrooge when telling him to be quiet?

SharanMcQuack

[12]Oct 22, 2007
    It's possible that people assumed that Mr. McDuck was so rich,Mr. McDcould buy himself off (not that he'd do that. FLINTY would, not him.)and wanted to prove he, the judge, was NOT bias in Mr. McDuck's favor.

GlideMan3

[13]Nov 6, 2007
    Excuse my long absence, I just realized the judge hated Mcduck by the way of his tone. (I guess being the World's Richest Duck can make people hate you)

legion7901

[14]Nov 18, 2007

Here are two that always had me scratching my head.

In "Ducks on the Lam" (the fourth part of the "Time is Money" Bubba intro series) the Beagle Boys take over Scrooge's money bin and kick Scrooge out of it. Now this should have been all over the local news, especially considering Scrooge called in the entire army to handle the problem. Everyone in Duckburg should have known that a trio of crooks were holed up in the money bin of the richest duckin the world. Makes you wonder how every single bank was fooled by the Beagles' imposter scam, especially since one bank secretary states that "Scrooge" was "calling from the direct line from the money bin." The very same bin that the Beagle Boys took over that very day? A little far fetched, but this was the second season after all.

And then in "Liquid Assets" (the second part of the "Super Ducktales" series) Fenton uses Scrooge's number one dime to make a phone call. Why does Scrooge trust a numbskull like Fenton to get the dime back? And why doesnt Fenton wait by the phone for somene to empty it instead of running around town to the phone company and then the bank, only to have to try his luck at besting the Beagle Boys? And since the dime belonged to the most powerful duck in Duckberg how hard would it have been for Fenton to track down someone to open the pay phone for him and get the dime.

GlideMan3

[15]Nov 18, 2007
    Another thing I noticed too while I was watching "Return to Ducky Mountain High", Goldie still seems to woo Scrooge even though they're in old age and he still loves her. It's the part where Scrooge and Goldie were aruging over the land. She then comes to him and passionately strokes his head while he is drawn into her. I was chuckling at that part.

Also, "Til Nephews do Us Part", he confessed his love for her when she came out of the cake.

legion7901

[16]Nov 18, 2007

Scrooge and Goldie do truly love each other. But I cant see Scrooge really going through with it and marrying anyone. That's just not in his character. Additionally for Scrooge and Goldie to really be together one would have to leave their natural enviornment. I couldn't see Scrooge leaving his home, his town, his family, his businesses or his friends like that. If anything Goldie would have to leave her home, and Scrooge knows she doesn't belong in Duckberg.

They love each other dearly, but it's not in the cards.

GlideMan3

[17]Nov 23, 2007
    I read one Rosa comic where Scrooge is offered a chance by a sorcerer to be with him or go back to Goldie (It's implied). I wonder if she'll ever be in future stores. But the Rosa/Barks universe is much different from the Ducktales universe.

Another thing too...Why didn't they use Donald for Season 2? I wished they tried to explain one of Scrooge's sisters came to America and married someone in the Duck family and had Donald and his sister who later married someone and gave them HD+L. I don't think they explained why Scrooge was Donald's uncle.

SharanMcQuack

[18]Nov 29, 2007

I've heard in the original Carl Barks stories Scrooge and Goldie never had a love interest going.

And that said 'love interest' bugs the purists. Did Ducktales invent that idea or del Rosa?

Edited on 11/29/2007 7:42am

GlideMan3

[19]Dec 1, 2007
    Ducktales I think invented that and Rosa's stories made it look like they had a relationship. Funny Rosa could have it gotten it from there since he considers Ducktales an illegal TV show which Scrooge tries to sue the producers but has no luck (I take it he doesn't like it)

MisterMatthews

[20]Dec 2, 2007

GlideMan3 wrote:
    I read one Rosa comic where Scrooge is offered a chance by a sorcerer to be with him or go back to Goldie (It's implied). I wonder if she'll ever be in future stores. But the Rosa/Barks universe is much different from the Ducktales universe.

There is a Barks-universe. There's a Rosa universe. There's no such thing as a Barks/Rosa-universe, because they're mutually exclusive.