DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Is El Capitan the ship's captain?

ScroogeMcNix

[1]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 6

I mean I know this is a cartoon but how is it possible for El Capitan to be the original captain of the stolen treasure ship?  I mean DuckTales explains the many mysteries featured on the show but never fully explains El Capitan's origins.  This seems to go against the rules of the show.  Was it really El Capitan who stole the treasure ship from the two explorers and left them stranded with one golden sun coin or was it just one of El's ancestors?  There are parts where El Capitan says "My logbook!" and the nephews say "Boy that guy acts like he sued to own this ship!"  He's constantly saying "MY gold!" and in the finale he says that "I've been waiting 400 years for this!" and Mrs. Beakley says "You're mad!" (mad as in crazy) and El Capitan says "I'm mad for gold!"

So it's weird and doesn't make much sense that El Capitan could be that old when you compare this to the other episodes where mysteries are explained the idea of El being the actual captain doesn't make a lot of sense.  When he says he's been waiting 400 years I think he may be referring to how his ancestor lost the ship 400 years ago when it sank and never got it back.  Now El thinks that since he's a relative the ship now belongs to him!  I guess Disney wanted to leave it up for interpretation.  What do you guys think?    

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tone-master21

[2]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 40

Like you said, I don't think that El Capitan is the real ship's captain but just a relative who thinks that the gold should be his.

SharanMcQuack

[3]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 11
    He's probably a decendant of the ship's captain who went mad from "gold fever".

HipK

[4]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 8
    I thought El Capitan really was 400+ years old, because he was questioned as to how he stayed alive that long, and his response was "sheer will power".

ScroogeMcD12345

[5]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 26
    Also El Capatain says he get the gold even if it takes anothert 400 years! (or was that Scrooge?!)

tone-master21

[6]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 40

ScroogeMcD12345 wrote:
    Also El Capatain says he get the gold even if it takes anothert 400 years! (or was that Scrooge?!)

I think it was El Capitan.

ScroogeMcNix

[7]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 6
    ScroogeMcD12345 wrote:
    That was Scrooge who said that it would take El another 400 years to dig up the gold in the dirt filled valley. This was afetr the great erruption buried the gold. I guess El Capitan dies as he digs in the dirt becaus he is never heard from again throughout the series. If El would have discovered the gold Scrooge would have found out about it. Though it would have been really cool if El Capitan would have dug up the gold and became richer than scrooge. But the only problem is that there's a curse on the gold and he loses it all in the same trench he lost the treasure ship back in 1987! Why didn't Disney bring abck the cool character! I'd rather see him return than the lackluster DuckTales the Movie which had no Glomgold or Beagle Boys! that was a big mistake and very un-DuckTalesish!!!

DenverFan

[8]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 1
    He is a great character! one that loves Gold and too bad he did not return in another episode.

SharanMcQuack

[9]Dec 18, 2006
    For some reason, a crazy old man with a blunderbus did not impress me that much. I would of rather seen more of the Phantom Blot.

MisterMatthews

[10]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    HipK wrote:
    I thought El Capitan really was 400+ years old, because he was questioned as to how he stayed alive that long, and his response was "sheer will power".

Exactly what I was thinking.

SharanMcQuack

[11]Dec 27, 2006
    He did SAY that and he seems to believe that- I just think him being nuts is an easier explaination.

MisterMatthews

[12]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    He did SAY that and he seems to believe that- I just think him being nuts is an easier explaination.

Yes, but it's more exciting if he really *was* the captain.

ScroogeMcD12345

[13]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 26
    He must have something to do with the ship, otherwise how would he know about the treasure?