DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

"Micro Ducks from Outer Space" episode and comic differences...

ScroogeMcNix

[1]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 6

Well I'm now back into reading my many Scrooge comics and tonight one of the stories I read was Carl Barks' "Micro Ducks from Outer Space". In the episode Scrooge has a surplus of wheat that he needs to get rid of so he sells them to the Micro Ducks in exchange for jewels. When trying to enlarge his other treasures with the enlarging machine the aliens accidentally left behind, Scrooge accidentally shrinks himself, his nephews, and Webby! The gang is sucked up in a vacuum cleaner, thrown in the trash, takeaperiolous journey down a flooded street, through the sewer, a dangerous skatebaord ride, get stuck on a spider web with a big spider, and even fly on pigeons to reach Gyro's barn!

There's a lot more differences with the episode and comic. In the comic Scrooge wants to earn a billion dollars in money sacks so he can seal off the broken window high in his money bin by piling up moneybags. He'd ratheruse money bags than spend a dollar on a new window pane. Meanwhile the SkepticsClubin Duckburg are offering a billion dollars to the one who can present them with a flying saucer with aliens inside. Turns out that a mini saucer that Scrooge mistakes for a bug has come to earth to buy goods (similar attack on the saucer in the episode).Scrooge sells them three tiny bits of brain for a very small amount but he doesn' care as long as he makes money at it. Scrooge forgets to ask them to come with him to the banquet so he win the bigdough! When he runs after the ship he falls off a building but the saucer shrinks him to catch him. Eventually Donald is miniaturized and they try to make it to the banquet! Will Scrooge win the money?

Note that in the comic the gas that is sprayed outof the saucer and can shrink and enlarge the ducks. It can also restore the air of the Micro Ducks. Anyway does anybody else have anything to add?

Ty

Edited on 08/17/2007 6:03am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ScroogeMcNix

[2]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 6
    Hasn't anybody else read this comic? I preferred the comic to the episode because the episode took out a lot of the elements from the comic book such as the Skeptics Club bnquet and the billion dollar prize for bringing a flying saucer with aliens inside! In the 1989 reprint of the story that I own it is mentioned that the story could have been the inspiration for Steven Spielberg's "Batteries Not Included" since Spielberg and George Lucas are both Scrooge comic fans... Ty

stretchsnodgras

[3]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 2
    I bought Carl Barks' Greatest DuckTales stories, so I did read the comic.

Sort of minor, in the show version, the microducks enlarge their jewels to buy all the excess wheat from Scrooge McDuck. In the comics, they use their money (less than a cent)to buy a small amount of wheat, and Scrooge is happy to take it. At the end he even looks forward to their next trip years away.

MisterMatthews

[4]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 5

As always, the comic is far superior to the DuckTales episode. I like DuckTales very much, just not the Barks-adaptations. What's so great about the comic is how it shows so much different sides of Scrooge. He wants to make money so badly, he forgets to ask the Micro Ducks to come with him to the Sceptics Club. He then panics and falls from his flagpole. I love the way Scrooge is calmly thinking: "oh, this started out as such a good day" as he's falling to a certain death. Then he is rescued and he and Donald go inside the flying saucer. Scrooge sees the world as the Micro Ducks see it. Barks gives us a clear view on how mean people can be to pursue their own interests (the villain and the guy from the Sceptics Club who almost kills them with his smoke). Then we see a soft side of Scrooge at the end. He rather loses the million dollars than risking the Micro Duck's lives one more time. That ending, under the one light-pole, gives me the chillings. That's beautiful.

One of Barks' best post-1960 stories, if you ask me.

Edited on 09/04/2007 7:07pm