DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Reference to Launchpad McQuack in "Fantastic Four"

SharanMcQuack

[1]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 11

So,,,I borrowed the movie "Fantastic Four" from the library this weekend. It's the first time I've seen it. (I''m a purist who gets annoyed by things like Alicia Masters being black or Dr. Doom having superpowers. And I'm cheap.)

There was a thinly veiled reference to Launchpad in it. Somebody at NASA did NOT want to work with Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch) on the grounds that "He crashed a flight simuator! A flight simuator!"

Sound familiar? (Seen "The Right Duck" lately?)

Also from "The Right Duck" Launchpad in the water tank at DASA: "This is fun! But I had no idea space was so wet!"

One driller in the water tank at NASA in the movie "Armageddon" : "I didn't know we were going swimming on that astroroid!"

(Which COULD be a coincidence, I admit.)

SURE nobody remembers Launchpad McQuack. OF COURSE NOT!!!

Personally, I think Launchpad is more (personality -wise) like Ben Grimm (aka the Thing): they both have the same sort of "I'm just a stupid pilot" shtick going on.

Edited on 11/06/2007 7:32am
    Edited 6 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tone-master21

[2]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 40
    I have seen the movie but didn't pick on that. Thanks for pointing it out.

darklordavaitor

[3]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 21
    I've seen it, too. I'm not too sure it works, but it's possible.

stretchsnodgras

[4]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 2
    You might not care because it doesn't include Launchpad, but there's a Simpsons episode that rips off "Yuppy Ducks."

It's called "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", I just saw it for the first time in a while a few days ago. In it, Homer visits his half brother Hebert Powell, who owns a car company. Powell has Homer design a car - it looks a lot like the one Huey, Dewey and Louie draw for McDuck Motors. The car is so expensive and unpopular, Powell's company goes bankrupt.

In Yuppy Ducks, the car (as well as the radio earrings and other ideas) of the nephews end up emptying up costing all of Scrooge McDuck's money, but luckily they manage to get it back since it was illegal for them to run McDuck enterprises.

muttley123

[5]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 6
    hopefully The Simpsons got the Copyright apporved by Disney first.

Antiyonder

[6]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 39
    While not as recent, Lanchpad's quote "Any crash you can walk away from" is used twice in Gargoyles.

First by Lexington in Her Brother's Keeper", then by Xanatos in City Of Stone Part 2.

The producer of the show, Greg Weisman, I believe did some minor story editing on Ducktales.

hapat

[7]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 14
    I'm sure Launchpad wasn't the first one to utter those words. You're jsut looking for a connection that isn't there.

Antiyonder

[8]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 39
    hapat wrote:
    I'm sure Launchpad wasn't the first one to utter those words. You're jsut looking for a connection that isn't there.

Greg Weisman himself stated that he was referencing Launchpad. Next time think before making accusations.

SharanMcQuack

[9]Sep 27, 2007

Thank you.

By the way, I've made a similair jumping to conclucions mistakes myself from time to time....

stretchsnodgras

[10]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 2
    "Any crash you can walk away from" is Launchpad's line as much as "What's up Doc?" belongs to Bugs Bunny.

You might be confusing it with "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one?," which I believe is a saying in the USAF.

SharanMcQuack

[11]Dec 26, 2007

Did the mean, cruel and totally unnessacary first flight/crash in "The Astronaunt Farmer" (1) remind anybody ELSE of Launchpad's "crashing" that rocket-on-railroad-tracks in "The Right Duck"?

That's what happen when you try to sabotage somebody: you end up gettin hoist by your own petard. Launchpad learned his lesson, bad guys don't.

(1)Glad to know I'm not the only one who is annoyed at NASA for sending up too many "brave little TOASTERS" (probes) and too few people.

Edited on 12/27/2007 7:16am
    Edited 3 total times.