DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

the 50's were golden age for Disney, BUT...

  • Avatar of SharanMcQuack

    SharanMcQuack

    [1]Oct 10, 2007
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,071

    So were the 80's, ya dopes!

    FIRST UCKTALES

    Then the whole blaime disney afternoon...you'ld think they be trying to bring this BACK not trying forget it ever happen, trying to "erase it"...

    That would MAKE SENSE!

    Edited on 10/10/2007 10:40am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [2]Oct 27, 2007
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662
    Most of the succes came in the very late 1980's, and their big comeback was only with 'The Little Mermaid' in 1989.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SharanMcQuack

    SharanMcQuack

    [3]Oct 28, 2007
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,071

    Gee, a whole two years after Ducktales! I liked the Little Mermaid, also. Don't care about it now.

    By the way, notice a rash of redheads about then in Disney? Ariel, Hercules, Jessica Rabbit. MY, I wonder WHO started THAT?

    Edited on 11/03/2007 10:14am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Antiyonder

    Antiyonder

    [4]Oct 28, 2007
    • member since: 06/04/07
    • level: 39
    • rank: Fonzerelli
    • posts: 848
    SharanMcQuack wrote:

    So were the 80's, ya dopes!

    FIRST UCKTALES

    Then the whole blaime disney afternoon...you'ld think they be trying to bring this BACK not trying forget it ever happen, trying to "erase it"...

    That would MAKE SENSE!

    Will you please stop trying to force your opinions on everybody?
    Edited on 10/28/2007 2:22pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SharanMcQuack

    SharanMcQuack

    [5]Oct 29, 2007
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,071
    I'm sorry if me having a mind of my own and an opinion of my own instead of liking what Disney decided I was "supposed" to like offends you!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Antiyonder

    Antiyonder

    [6]Oct 29, 2007
    • member since: 06/04/07
    • level: 39
    • rank: Fonzerelli
    • posts: 848

    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    I'm sorry if me having a mind of my own and an opinion of my own instead of liking what Disney decided I was "supposed" to like offends you!

    Having an opinion is ok. Forcing an opinion is not ok. You're obviously calling every here dopes for disagreeing with you right?

    Sorry, but if you want us to respect your opinion, then you have to respect ours too. That means no insulting posts stating "A true Ducktales fan wouldn't read a Carl Barks comic". Here's an example of you forcing/pressuring us to change our opinions:

    :
    If you are a permenant 80's fan, what's with the love of Carl Banks stuff from the '50's?

    If that wasn't intended as an insult, then what was the idea of the comment?

    Edited on 10/29/2007 1:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SharanMcQuack

    SharanMcQuack

    [7]Oct 30, 2007
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,071

    YOUR the one who keep trying to take everything I write as an insult! I NEVER meanth that as an insult! I just want to be able to read or watch new Ducktales the tv show stuff! I CAN"T!

    YOU want to read the Carl Barks stuff, go right ahead! I admit I don't 'get" why you like it when it's '50's stuff and not "80's stuff and was hoping you could explain WHY you like it!

    It's DISNEY I'm mad at for not giving me a choice, NOT YOU!

    Edited on 10/30/2007 8:07am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Antiyonder

    Antiyonder

    [8]Oct 30, 2007
    • member since: 06/04/07
    • level: 39
    • rank: Fonzerelli
    • posts: 848

    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    I admit I don't 'get" why you like it when it's '50's stuff and not "80's stuff and was hoping you could explain WHY you like it!

    Simply because if something is entertaining, it doesn't matter how old it is. It's not even a matter of what I like better, because I enjoy them both equally. I may be a fan of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, but I can still just as easily enjoy Superfriends.

    I also can still be entertained by some of the older Batman cartoons prior to Batman The Animated Series. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's bad, in my opinion at least.

    It's just that some of your comments are worded in a way that they come across as a possible insult. If I shared you opinion on the subject, I would state it like this: "Personally I prefer Ducktales over the comics of the 1950s, but if you like 1950s stuff, that's cool with me. Just don't expect me to like it. Though maybe you could explain why you like it".

    Worded like that, there is no way for anyone to mistake it as an insult.

    Edited on 10/30/2007 9:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [9]Nov 2, 2007
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    People, please don't fight over this! This is a DuckTales fan forum, let's keep it that way by not fighting over things like these.

    If I read correctly, Sharan McQuack wanted to know why I like the Carl Barks-comics so much.

    Well, Sharan, basically because they're funny and entertaining, but most of all because they're fine examples of great storytelling. I take it most of you are familiar with the long adventure stories Barks did with Scrooge, but he also did an enormous amount of ten-page stories with Donald Duck. These are stories that have a depth in them that has never been shown since in Disney comics. Barks painted life as it really is in his comics. He never moralized to his audience, but he told it like it was, and often Donald's misadventures where loaded with sarcasm and sometimes cynicism. Donald was always trying to become somebody in Duckburg, but he always failed miserably. But the way he did it, was always very, very funny.

    When Barks started working on the Donald Duck comics, Donald was merely a cartoon character who was only known for his temper. By the time Barks retired, he had re-made Donald into a complete human being, with real expressions, emotions, nuances, feelings, frustrations, ambitions etc. And he did the same for Uncle Scrooge, a character he created in 1947. The concept of Donald and Scrooge going on long adventures to hunt treasures or to save Scrooge's money from villains like the Beagle Boys and Magica de Spell, as you see often in DuckTales (but then mostly without Donald), was introduced by Barks, too.

    I like DuckTales for what it is: a good tv show, from a time when Disney would still put time, money and creative effort into its products. DuckTales was an original concept, and it introduced Scrooge and the whole family of Ducks to an entire new generation. The show was animated with great care (except it became sloppy in the second season --when Bubba and Gizmoduck were introduced) and storylines, although sometimes bad Barks-adaptations, were creative and exciting. They don't do that at Disney anymore. Instead, nowadays they will just take one of their latest animated movies and make it into a lame, dull tv show.

    I still enjoy watching DuckTales. And yes, I like the new characters they introduced, like Launchpad McQuack. But they have their own 'universe', the DuckTales-universe, and that's different from the Barks-universe.

    Edited on 11/02/2007 8:11pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SharanMcQuack

    SharanMcQuack

    [10]Nov 3, 2007
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,071
    I 'm not familiar with them and I'm 48. Which is considerably older than your mythical average Ducktales fan. Not my fault they were never sold in candy stores like God intended.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GlideMan3

    GlideMan3

    [11]Nov 6, 2007
    • member since: 08/07/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 49
    MisterMatthews wrote:

    People, please don't fight over this! This is a DuckTales fan forum, let's keep it that way by not fighting over things like these.

    If I read correctly, Sharan McQuack wanted to know why I like the Carl Barks-comics so much.

    Well, Sharan, basically because they're funny and entertaining, but most of all because they're fine examples of great storytelling. I take it most of you are familiar with the long adventure stories Barks did with Scrooge, but he also did an enormous amount of ten-page stories with Donald Duck. These are stories that have a depth in them that has never been shown since in Disney comics. Barks painted life as it really is in his comics. He never moralized to his audience, but he told it like it was, and often Donald's misadventures where loaded with sarcasm and sometimes cynicism. Donald was always trying to become somebody in Duckburg, but he always failed miserably. But the way he did it, was always very, very funny.

    When Barks started working on the Donald Duck comics, Donald was merely a cartoon character who was only known for his temper. By the time Barks retired, he had re-made Donald into a complete human being, with real expressions, emotions, nuances, feelings, frustrations, ambitions etc. And he did the same for Uncle Scrooge, a character he created in 1947. The concept of Donald and Scrooge going on long adventures to hunt treasures or to save Scrooge's money from villains like the Beagle Boys and Magica de Spell, as you see often in DuckTales (but then mostly without Donald), was introduced by Barks, too.

    I like DuckTales for what it is: a good tv show, from a time when Disney would still put time, money and creative effort into its products. DuckTales was an original concept, and it introduced Scrooge and the whole family of Ducks to an entire new generation. The show was animated with great care (except it became sloppy in the second season --when Bubba and Gizmoduck were introduced) and storylines, although sometimes bad Barks-adaptations, were creative and exciting. They don't do that at Disney anymore. Instead, nowadays they will just take one of their latest animated movies and make it into a lame, dull tv show.

    I still enjoy watching DuckTales. And yes, I like the new characters they introduced, like Launchpad McQuack. But they have their own 'universe', the DuckTales-universe, and that's different from the Barks-universe.

    Well said. I wish Donald was in more of Season 2.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SharanMcQuack

    SharanMcQuack

    [12]Nov 7, 2007
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,071
    And if Disney printed BOTH, I could read what I like and you could read what you like.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MisterMatthews

    MisterMatthews

    [13]Nov 7, 2007
    • member since: 10/21/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 662

    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    And if Disney printed BOTH, I could read what I like and you could read what you like.

    You're right. But they are printing Barks-comics, but then sell them as if they were DuckTales-comics.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SharanMcQuack

    SharanMcQuack

    [14]Nov 8, 2007
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,071

    Which they are NOT. Which is why I ain't buying them.

    To me, it's like the difference between hot tea with milk and sugar- or the same tea, plain. It's just no fun for me without Launchpad. Sorry. And I think the (other) Carl Barks stories are more long-winded and dragged out. The Ducktales stories cut to the chase.

    Edited on 11/13/2007 7:31am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.