DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

This will be a weird topic, but here it goes...

GlideMan3

[1]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 1

I've been catching up on reading the Barks and Rosa comics recently. I found a French website that has all of the comics. I caught Dime Enough for Luck on Youtube yesterday. I had my Duck fix for a few days.

Then something came to mind...

What if you had different writers writing Ducktales or a Scrooge comic?

I always thought it would be interesting to have Frank Miller (wrote The Dark Knight Returns a Batman story and the Sin City stories) write an episode of Ducktales or a comic? I think it would be neat, but it would be very adult of course and Disney doesn't do that. (C'mon, you can find a lot of innuendos in Ducktales episodes. Look at Home Sweet Homer for crying out loud, the cumma fruits and the cleavage shown on some of the female characters like Circe, King Blowhard for a name, need I say more?)

What about Alan Moore writing a Donald Duck comic? Joss Whedon? Devin Grayson? Doug Moench? Jim Lee?

Jeph Loeb could also write a neat storyline for a few issues.

I'd like to see Frank Miller also do Darkwing Duck since they did that episode set in the future where DW was similar to Batman in The Dark Knight Returns.

I had a sugar craze so I'm a little hyper when making this post. So excuse my weird question...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SharanMcQuack

[2]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 11

OK, maybe I can't speak for anybody but me, but i wouldn't WANT to read a ducktales comic that's too "adult'. For one thing, there's no shortage of "adult" stuff elsewhere, Lord knows.

And I LIKE childish stuff because I get sick and tired of that sort of thing. and because sex and or violence and or depressing is considered 'adult". Not to mention 'french".

4 letter words, mindless sex, mindless violence and people who are bound and detertined to be misable strikes me as more immature than mature.

I'm not convinced it even SELLS, just that "they" WANT it too. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before, i'll be wrong again, no big deal.

Remember a movie called 'Runaway Brain' that Disney quickly- and wisely- sweeped under a rug?

Maybe it's a matter of WHO it sells to- and under what circumstantances. i don't think Disney could get an 'adult' ducktales to sell without going all 'fritz the cat' and I HOPE they don't want to go THAT far.

As somebody who writes fanfic, I find it more fun to work within the limitions: to use double-entendras, corny jokes and have FUN and be silly.

Edited on 02/09/2008 9:14am
    Edited 4 total times.

GlideMan3

[3]Feb 10, 2008
    I was thinking the same thing too Sharan, there's no way Disney would do it unless a writer was spoofing it.

Although I'm chuckling at what if Frank Miller wrote and directed a Ducktales episode. I mean I watch Ducktales now and I see a lot of things I've never seen before.

MisterMatthews

[4]Feb 11, 2008
    • level: 5
    Well, Don Rosa alsready has made the beloved childrens comics way too 'adult' (do not confuse with 'mature', because for that, they're not sophisticated enough). Have you read the sexual innuendo in his story "The prisoner of White Agony Creek"? It's sickening how he suggests Scrooge and Goldie having sex in his cabin. He has for ever discredited himself as a Duck-artist.

GlideMan3

[5]Feb 11, 2008
    Which page was that MisterMatthews? I reread it somewhere and I couldn't find it.

You know too MisterMatthews, I'm enjoying the Barks comics more than Rosa's now.

SharanMcQuack

[6]Feb 13, 2008

I VERY much doubt Disney actually showed them 'at it', merely implied something might have happened "off panel".

sort of like that episode of "StarTrek" (free no prize to anybody who knows which one!) where Kirk is romanicing a girl in one scene (what, AGAIN?) and PULLING HIS BOOTS ON in the next scene. Ahem.

MisterMatthews

[7]Feb 29, 2008

GlideMan3 wrote:
    Which page was that MisterMatthews? I reread it somewhere and I couldn't find it. You know too MisterMatthews, I'm enjoying the Barks comics more than Rosa's now.

You can read the sexual jokes here: http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?id=66&p=1

Rosa has been hailed for the last 15 years as Barks' one and true successor. In the past, I have been a fan of Rosa too. But in recent years, I have realized this emperor has no clothes. He makes sequels to Barks' stories and he often references them, but he hasn't understood what made Barks' stories so great. This is all only my opinion, of course.

The forum I have linked to is called 'McDrake', a combination of 'McDuck' and 'Drake' (after Drakeburg, Ludwig von Drake etc.). Maybe you find it interesting to join the discussion going on there? It's mainly about the Disney-comics.

WAVY10

[8]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    GlideMan3 wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing too Sharan, there's no way Disney would do it unless a writer was spoofing it.

Although I'm chuckling at what if Frank Miller wrote and directed a Ducktales episode. I mean I watch Ducktales now and I see a lot of things I've never seen before.

Frank Miller. Wasn't his Dark Knight Batman the one that looked almost like he was on steroids?

GlideMan3

[9]Mar 10, 2008
    I didn't see that Mr. Matthews, what's worse: Barks' racial stereotypes in his comics or Rosa's sexually suggestive themes in his works? I'm talking about issues like "Darkest Night in Africa and Voodoo Hoodoo" although he drops the stereotypes in later issues.

To Wavy10, yes in The Dark Knight Returns, it looked like he was on steroids, but he was also slow having not fought crime for 10 years. It was just a wacky thought, Miller writing Ducktales.

MisterMatthews

[10]Mar 15, 2008

GlideMan3 wrote:
    I didn't see that Mr. Matthews, what's worse: Barks' racial stereotypes in his comics or Rosa's sexually suggestive themes in his works? I'm talking about issues like "Darkest Night in Africa and Voodoo Hoodoo" although he drops the stereotypes in later issues.

I say Don Rosa's playing with the supposed 'sex-lives' of the Disney Ducks is worse. See, Barks' racial stereotypes were a product of his time. Just look at the Hollywood films of that age: you see them all the time. Even in Disney films they did it, with the African Americans in 'Song of the South' and Indians in 'Peter Pan'. But make no mistake: nowadays society hasn't changed much and neither has entertainment. Today, it are mostly Arabs who are vilified, e.g. in 'Aladdin'.

My main argument is, that Barks was doing something that was a habit in his time. But his Ducks were always in tone with the Disney spirit and they were always suited for children, without any soap-opera-like sexual undertones.* Rosa does something which is not a habit and he's shoving his sexual perversions down the readers' throats.

Look, I'm by no means a puritan. Overall, I even think society is still too prudish. But I don't think Disney's Ducks are suited for sexual gags.** And certainly Rosa shows little respect for Barks.

(* Although Western Publishing censored 3 pages from the original 'Back to the Klondike'. The saloon fight and kidnapping of Goldie was cut out, because it raised the question "what did he do with her at night?" with the editors -although Barks had not suggested anything.

** Although in one Disney movie sexual undertones are far more obvious, 'The Great Mouse Detective', where a strip-act is shown.)

SharanMcQuack

[11]Mar 19, 2008
    If Disney wants to do something more 'adult", why not let some of their fictional characters marry and have kids? And NOT just to get divorced and "forget" about the girl, neither. Or the endless bithering on sit-coms...some 'real life" give a little, take a little.

Simbaholic

[12]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 2

MisterMatthews wrote:
    Well, Don Rosa alsready has made the beloved childrens comics way too 'adult' (do not confuse with 'mature', because for that, they're not sophisticated enough). Have you read the sexual innuendo in his story "The prisoner of White Agony Creek"? It's sickening how he suggests Scrooge and Goldie having sex in his cabin. He has for ever discredited himself as a Duck-artist.

MisterMatthews wrote:
    I say Don Rosa's playing with the supposed 'sex-lives' of the Disney Ducks is worse. See, Barks' racial stereotypes were a product of his time. Just look at the Hollywood films of that age: you see them all the time. Even in Disney films they did it, with the African Americans in 'Song of the South' and Indians in 'Peter Pan'. But make no mistake: nowadays society hasn't changed much and neither has entertainment. Today, it are mostly Arabs who are vilified, e.g. in 'Aladdin'.

My main argument is, that Barks was doing something that was a habit in his time. But his Ducks were always in tone with the Disney spirit and they were always suited for children, without any soap-opera-like sexual undertones. Rosa does something which is not a habit and he's shoving his sexual perversions down the readers' throats.

Look, I'm by no means a puritan. Overall, I even think society is still too prudish. But I don't think Disney's Ducks are suited for sexual gags. And certainly Rosa shows little respect for Barks.

SharanMcQuack wrote:
    If Disney wants to do something more 'adult", why not let some of their fictional characters marry and have kids? And NOT just to get divorced and "forget" about the girl, neither. Or the endless bithering on sit-coms...some 'real life" give a little, take a little.

This might sound extremely weird, but I like to believe that sex doesn't even exist in the Disney cartoon/comic world, no matter what's implied. (Who knows, Scrooge and Goldie could have been just cleaning up the mess they made during their fight.) As for when they have kids... that happens by magic and only to married couples who want them. Yes, I'm prudish and I know it, but the idea of ANY Disney character having sex is far too disturbing to me. Besides, since when is Disney realistic, anyway?

Edited on 02/19/2013 9:46am
    Edited 3 total times.

Cruella1989

[13]Apr 28, 2014

No that doesn't sound weird at all. Personally I like to believe that sex deosn't exist in the Disney universe too. I think that Scrooge and Goldie were so tired after the fight that they fell asleep and slept in. It honstly never looked much like a sex scene to me.

Simbaholic

[14]May 1, 2014
    • level: 2

Cruella1989 wrote:

No that doesn't sound weird at all. Personally I like to believe that sex deosn't exist in the Disney universe too. I think that Scrooge and Goldie were so tired after the fight that they fell asleep and slept in. It honstly never looked much like a sex scene to me.

I like the way you think. I never picked it up either until I read fan commentary on the Internet.
    My brother insists that they were sitting against opposite walls, breathing heavily and pointing guns at each other. XD
    Also, I recently read an essay by Don Rosa about why he quit, and he says near the end that he doesn't consider himself a professional; just a fan who writes stories about his favorite characters. So his work is pretty much published fanfiction, and we don't have to believe it if we don't want to. Still, I think his work is excellent except for that one part of that one story.

Edited on 05/01/2014 9:34am
    Edited 2 total times.

Cruella1989

[15]May 1, 2014
    Simbaholic wrote:

Cruella1989 wrote:

I like the way you think. I never picked it up either until I read fan commentary on the Internet.
    My brother insists that they were sitting against opposite walls, breathing heavily and pointing guns at each other. XD
    Also, I recently read an essay by Don Rosa about why he quit, and he says near the end that he doesn't consider himself a professional; just a fan who writes stories about his favorite characters. So his work is pretty much published fanfiction, and we don't have to believe it if we don't want to. Still, I think his work is excellent except for that one part of that one story.

Yeah, we'll never know what Rosa's true intent with that scene was. But, in my opinion, even if it was his intent to have an implied sex scene, it doesn't look a thing like one. And if somebody wants to believe that Scrooge and Goldie had sex while they were together, that's their business. But, it's never made sense to me to "twist" this scene, that looks nothing like one, into a sex scene.