We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Update Mr. McDuck?

SharanMcQuack

[1]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 11

Often in the comic books, they "update" things to keep the characters from getting too old. The Fantastic Four, for instance, instead of getting their powers by blasting off in a rocket to the moon in 1963  before the "evil" communists could, went to Mars in a spaceship much later.

What do you think of the possiblity of Disney's updating Mr. McDuck in such a manner? Instead of him striking it rich in the Klondike back in the 1920's (which would make him 105 or so), should they change in so he struke it rich in a fictional second gold rush in the Klondyke back in the 1950's- which would make him 70 or so?

They could even just say: "about 50 years ago" with no mention of date so it would be ALWAYS about 50 years ago from "Now".

"Rewriting history" is a "Ducktales"  tradition.

Edited on 06/19/2006 7:19am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MisterMatthews

[2]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    They should never 'rewrite history' regarding to any Duck-character, in my opinion. I see no use in it. A big part of Scrooge McDuck's appeal is his rich and exciting past. Why would you want to change that? He earned most of his money in the gold rush in the 1890's in Klondike and since then he has been on many adventures to increase his fortune. You would have to eliminate all that if you would rewrite his history.

SharanMcQuack

[3]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 11
    Maybe "people" in Earth -Disney can live to Biblical ages? Which might explain El Captain, those lost soldiers of General Rhubarb McQuack and Mr. McD.
    Edited on 12/28/2006 8:31am

MisterMatthews

[4]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 5
    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    Maybe "people" in Earth -Disney can live to Biblical ages? Which might explain El Captain, those lost soldiers of General Rhubarb McQuack and Mr. McD.

That's a good explanation. All comic- and cartooncharacters can get very old, and most of them always stay the same age. Take Huey, Duey and Louie. They never grow up. Also, in an Uncle Scrooge-comic by Carl Barks, there was a fountain of youth. Donald and Scrooge both drank some of the water. Maybe that's how they stay in such good shape?

ScroogeMcD12345

[5]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 26
    MisterMatthews wrote:
    Maybe that's how they stay in such good shape?

I thought it was because he lifts money bags LOL

tone-master21

[6]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 40

ScroogeMcD12345 wrote:
    MisterMatthews wrote:
    Maybe that's how they stay in such good shape?
    I thought it was because he lifts money bags LOL

I believe as seen in the episode Where No Duck Has Gone Before.

Simbaholic

[7]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 3

MisterMatthews wrote:
    SharanMcQuack wrote:

That's a good explanation. All comic- and cartooncharacters can get very old, and most of them always stay the same age. Take Huey, Duey and Louie. They never grow up. Also, in an Uncle Scrooge-comic by Carl Barks, there was a fountain of youth. Donald and Scrooge both drank some of the water. Maybe that's how they stay in such good shape?

I read that Carl Barks responded to some fan letters saying that drinking the water from the Fountain of Youth rejuvenated his body and allowed him to live much longer than expected.

MisterMatthews wrote:
    They should never 'rewrite history' regarding to any Duck-character, in my opinion. I see no use in it. A big part of Scrooge McDuck's appeal is his rich and exciting past. Why would you want to change that? He earned most of his money in the gold rush in the 1890's in Klondike and since then he has been on many adventures to increase his fortune. You would have to eliminate all that if you would rewrite his history.

I completely agree.

Edited on 07/05/2012 8:44am
    Edited 2 total times.