DuckTales Forums

(ended 1990)

Wouldn't Ducktales reruns still make some money for Disney?

Antiyonder

[1]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 39

I understand, that most of the older cartoons don't air because DVD sales aside, there's no profit in airing them. That said, wouldn't Ducktales still be a suitable show to run from a business standpoint?

I mean, because the cartoon itself is based of the Uncle Scrooge comic books, which are still published (with some Trade Paperback reprinting earlier stories). So if anything, the cartoon would seem to be a good way for Disney to gain more potential customers for the comics. Or is there a factor I'm not considering?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SharanMcQuack

[2]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 11

The Factor that Disney does NOT WANT to make money off of Ducktales.

You Gotta know why I think they don't. The point is: they don't.

MisterMatthews

[3]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 5

Of course Disney wants to make money of DuckTales. Disney wants to make money in every way possible.

But Disney comics are virtually non-existent in the US these days. Some are printed again since 2003, but they're in very limited edition and prices are ridiculous high. Face it: if they sell 10.000, they would be happy. It's not the 1950's and 1960's anymore, when millions of copies were sold.

SharanMcQuack

[4]Jul 27, 2007

Of course it would HELP if they sold them in candy stores where the kids are and not just in speciality stores that 8-12 years olds seldom shop at (and not every area has speciality stores). They also sell them via the internet. Where you need a checkbook or a credit card to buy one.

It would of helped had Disney advertised their comic books during Ducktales, but they didn't. Lord knows how many Ducktales fans were unaware the comic books (TWO Ducktales - Gladstone and Disney!) existed.

Antiyonder

[5]Jul 27, 2007
    MisterMatthews wrote:

Of course Disney wants to make money of DuckTales. Disney wants to make money in every way possible.

But Disney comics are virtually non-existent in the US these days. Some are printed again since 2003, but they're in very limited edition and prices are ridiculous high. Face it: if they sell 10.000, they would be happy. It's not the 1950's and 1960's anymore, when millions of copies were sold.

Like I said, the show would be a way to get more people interested. Much like how some people who watch the Spider-Man cartoons for instance helps to draw more interest in the comics.

SharanMcQuack

[6]Jul 28, 2007

Of course, now the REAL money for comic book characters is in doing a movie of them. Hint, hint.

Inexpensive starter comics printed on newspaper grade paper and maybe even in white and black like coloring books might help get kids interested.

ScroogeMcNix

[7]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    Aren't they reprinting the ducktales comic series in thick graphic novels??? One with magica kidnapping Webby and another with Glomgold taking over Duckburg??? Ty

SharanMcQuack

[8]Jul 30, 2007

You are, I think, referring to "Scrooge's Quest" ALREADY available via internet and in bookstores, I think, in August. Shameless plug.

Love to see some NEW Ducktales stuff, but not if they make my Launchpad look dumb.

ScroogeMcNix

[9]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    Wow after reading the summary where Magica steals scrooge's lucky dime and kidnaps Webby and Glomgold has taken over Duckburg and now has scrooge's fortune that would like an excellent episode of Ducktales! Ty

Antiyonder

[10]Jul 31, 2007
    ScroogeMcNix wrote:
    Aren't they reprinting the ducktales comic series in thick graphic novels??? One with magica kidnapping Webby and another with Glomgold taking over Duckburg??? Ty

What they did was reprint the issues of Uncle Scrooge that inspired the Ducktales episodes.

Micro Ducks From Outer Space for instance, from what I've heard, the comic version of the story centers more around the Micro Ducks. Apparently the shrinking plot was just for the episode. I'm looking to get both trades though.