DuckTales

Magica's Shadow War

Aired Weekdays 4:00 PM Sep 28, 1987 on

• Magica brings her own shadow to life in order to steal Scrooge's lucky dime. The shadow frees itself of her influence and wants to bring all the shadows of the world to life.

I love the opening sequence in this episode. Magica calls out a checklist for her latest spell while Poe, her raven, opens various vials. He winds up caught in a tornado and burned by dragon's fire.

This is a pretty interesting story. Magica treats her shadow with such disrespect, once it fails to steal Scrooge's #1 dime, that it breaks free of Magica's influence and becomes more powerful. It then plans to set free all the shadows of the world.

The story gets even better when Scrooge tries to trap the shadow in the lights of the baseball stadium, but winds up creating twenty more shadows of Magica DeSpell. Again, I do not quite understand why Scrooge's #1 dime has magical powers.

Magica rents a house near Duckburg in this episode. She never uses this house in subsequent episodes, she continues to operate from Mt. Vesuvius.

This is a great episode and one of my favorites.