Treasure of the Golden Suns

Aired Weekdays 4:00 PM Sep 18, 1987 on

• A show ahead of its time and unlike any before or after.

Excitement, Mystery, Adventure, Suspense. These are all words to describe this episode. And while the notion of a five part episode may seem like an avant-garde concept for a children's show, in this case it works out.
    The Treasure of the Golden Suns introduces the audience to Scrooge McDuck a wealthy, but cheap man. Later it introduces Huey, Dewey and Louie and answers the lifelong question what happened to Donald Duck. Although no one wants to claim that their kids are theirs (Donald is their uncle and so is Scrooge) later we are introduced to Webby and her Grandmother Mrs. Beakley (another young duck with no parents (?)). And of course most important but not least we meet Launchpad McQuack. This episode a large set of characters, including arch nemesis Flintheart Glomgold, re-occurring villains The Beagle Boys, and truly sinister character, El Capitan.
    This episode sets the stage for what the series is going to do and where it's going to do. The heart of the show is treasure hunting. The show involves traveling to various locales along with some minor problem solving. Infused with some cheesy humor, likable characters, and great writing this is the beginning of something beautiful, and a sign of good things to come for the show.
  • Very fine pilot!

This episode started a good show called Ducktales and i think this episode was great we learn that Scrooge did'nt always like the nephews he hated them in this episode called them brats and stuff but later when he learns that they were telling the truth about the Beagle Boys they become a team by putting some traps on them and stuff i'll say this is a very good first episode of the series glad this was'nt a bad episode and if you did'nt like this episode then you are not a true DuckTales fan.
  • The all-time greatest episode of any cartoon I've ever seen... Perfect in every way...

I originally saw this episode in it's complete form when it aired for the first time. I was flipping through the channels at my grandfather's house and stopped when I came to a colorful cartoon featuring Scrooge McDuck and his nephews: Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Fortunately I tuned in during the first few minutes (right as Donald was leaving for the navy.) I sat through the entire show and was absolutely blown away. I was only seven years old at the time, but I will never forget that experience, or the feeling I had by the time it had finished.

The funny thing is that I re-watched the pilot on the DVD collection and was surprised at how well I remembered the last segment, "Too Much of a Gold Thing" (Which remains my all-time favorite episode of Ducktales. I must have watched it close to 100 times when I was a kid.) I could practically quote it in my head before the lines were said, and I even remember which music played during which scenes. It's nice that as an adult, I can still watch it and feel the same way I did almost 20 years ago.
  • Scrooge is saddled with the Nephews after Donald joins the Navy. The boys learn that a small ship Scrooge has in his money bin is really a map to a lost city of gold, but first they hust outsmart the Beagle Boys, Glomgold, and the mysterious El Capitan.

I remember back in 1987 when I first saw this in its whole form. All I can say when I look back on those emotions that I got from as it as a small boy is that I never wanted to go on an adventure of my own more. After this pilot, Ducktales became the first thing I looked forward to after school. The rest of the series, although stellar in its own right, only measured up to the adventure of this pilot a few times.
  • A beautiful beginning to a quacking good series that could've challenged Simpsons as America's classic.

DuckTales, the adventures of Scrooge McDuck and his nephew Donald and his nephews Huey, Louie, and Dewey, took off nicely with this pilot episode. Based on Carl Barks' classic and more closely tied with Don Rosa's comic book remake, this episode showed what made the whole series great. It featured great action, hilarious comedy, and a wonderful collection of characters with the right match of voice talents. I can still hear Scrrrrroge McDuck bark, or should I say quack, orders at the mumbling and bumbling Donald Duck. The show became on instant classic with this episode. I wish McDuck was still taking adventures on the tube, burrowing through his money bin like a gopher, diving like a dolphin, and tossing his money up and letting it hit him on the head...