Due South (1997)

CTV (ended 1999)

mafalada

Due South (1997) Fan Reviews (5)

• How could anyone not like this show?! It's genius. Purely and simply brilliant.

I absolutely adore this show. Paul Gross did a wonderful job of writing, directing and, of course, acting in this masterpiece. I was much to young to understand some of the more subtle humour when this first came out, but even then I loved it. Now that it's being repeated in the UK I find myself just as engrossed in the plots and enchanted by the characters.

Many people say it's not good as the original but I disagree. Sure, it's different but it's just as good. The interactions between Kowalski and Fraser are hilarious. I think the character of Kowalski is brilliant, his erratic and slightly crazy behaviour brings out a side of Fraser that we maybe wouldn't have seen had they not had to find someone to replace Marciano - His slightly more normal side.

Definately a show to be watched!
  • I watched it once again and it is still the same. Best ever.

Whole series is really good, not bloody and with minimum visible violence. It is about kindness, high moral values, friendship and that special bond to the place, where you were born. Paul Gross is beautiful and dedicated in his role of upstanding Mountie and he should be rewarded for his contribution in showing, that honor and respect toward another human being are still alive.
  • one of the best shows ever.

well, maybe seasons 3 and 4 of "due south" (i don't really understand why they would be handled as a different show) weren't as brilliant as season 1 and 2 but nevertheless i still think that they are some of the best show history has ever provided us with and they still are way above the average show level (seasons 3 and 4 would earn a 10 in my opinion and seasons 1 and 2 would go beyond it if it was acutally possible to vote this way). i really liked callum keith rennie as ray kowalski (even though i had been a big fan of david marciano's ray vecchio). they both are excellent actors and i don't think that kowalski's interaction with fraser was worse than vecchio's it was merely different, edgier, less harmonic but by that very interesting and as their relationship evolved sometimes very touching (all the way up to the show's finale: kowalski's sorrow and his feeling of being lost when he believes that fraser is going to be teaming up with ray vecchio again).
  • I guess I could've picked "off the wall" for my classification, but among my friends and me this show is a classic.

People who've read a book before a movie made of that same book will insist that the book is better, and vice versa. I think the same goes with the two Due Souths. Me, I saw the 1997 version first, and so that one is my favorite of the two.

That's not to say that I don't like RayV, because I do. However, RayK completely and utterly stole my heart. He's volatile and talks a lot, but there's such a chemistry between him and Fraser that just makes the whole show so enjoyable.

Even apart from Fraser and RayK, the show, in my opinion, improved in the third season. Fraser's father bugging him from beyond the grave, the way Fraser senses things that are frankly impossible - I guess I could've picked "off the wall" for my classification, but among my friends and me this show is a classic. The humor is one of a kind and I love pretty much every character on the show.

And okay, I'll admit to it - who couldn't resist a happy ending with the main couple (yes, that is my story and I'm sticking to it - I know I'm not alone in that, either) going into the sunset together? ;)
  • Best show out of Canada-Paul Gross is the best actor in the far north and we in the USA should appreciate him more

Best show out of Canada-Paul Gross is the best actor in the far north and we in the USA should appreciate him more. Great joint venture for CBS to air a Canadian show(in concept) in our prime time. I met the cast in 1999 at a convention and they were just terrific people- I wish it had never ended. Thankfully it is on video now too. Too bad the us doesn't appreciate things from outside Hollywood.