Due South (1997)

The Ladies' Man

Aired Unknown Oct 21, 1998 on CTV

• one of the best episodes ever!

in my opinion this has been the most political episode of "due south" ever. i think it made quite a clear statement in opposition to capital punishment. it wasn't the discovery that a woman convicted to death and going to die was actually innocent that made ray feel guilty, he had felt responsible for her death from the very beginning while he still had been asuming that she actually had killed her husband. the way the officers in the police station behaved, cheering about her forthcoming death, how the only ones keeping their decency were actually ray, fraser (who had never made the slightest suggestion that capital punishment actually might be appropriate) and welsh, made quite a clear point on where the writers of "due south" stood on this subject. this episode was outstandingly well acted, especially by callum keith rennie who showed a facet we hadn't seen on kowalski before in this intensity (it was fascinating to see how much paul gross would take himself back in this episode to give more room to him). it was pinching but then again relieving to watch how he would cry in the end and how fraser would just stick with him, not feeling embarassed but just being there for him. it was great to see a show daring to bring up a subject like death penalty putting human dignity above revenge (something i think can't be found very often anymore).
  • As the execution date for a woman he put on death row approaches, Ray grows unsure whether she is really guilty of her husband's murder.

This episode told us a lot about Ray Kowalski. It showed us his emotional turmoil over "just having done his job". In my eyes, it's one of the best episode of the entire show.

Ray Kowalski is by no means a weak man. That's why it was hard to watch him going through all the anguish and hurt he was feeling. Especially at the end, when he breaks down in his car, it was heart-wrenching to watch.

That scene also showed us once again the friendship between Ray and Fraser - the simple gesture of comforting his friend, the fact that Ray let Fraser accompany him (he could just as well have come alone, done his crying and no one would've known about it) shows how much they really care for each other.