Duel Masters Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

How many people think this is a rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh?

just_joking96

[1]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 5
    C'mon it's a RIP-OFF OF YU-Gi-Oh!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mangafreak15

[2]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 19

It has the same basic idea, sorta, but it is quite different in it's own ways. Have you ever seen a yugioh character make fun of the episode creators, for example? That's a classic move in DM. And Shobu's quest is ultimately to become a master at the game, while Yugi's is to find out about the pharaoh's past and all that. (He only becomes the "king of games" in the process...that wasn't what he truly aimed to achieve.)

Personally, I don't think it's a ripoff at all. I think it's weird, unique, and funny--a show that's not half bad, or at least not given enough credit if nothing else.

But I can see how a lot of people don't like it, I guess. It is a very abnormal show.

gaara257

[3]Dec 11, 2006
    I hate this show its retarted rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh I dont care what the wikipedia says it is a rip off of Yu-gi-oh belive me I hate this show shows like these should be ripped off the air I mean Shobu Uggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate him he makes me want to kill someone plus rikuda sounds like a f*cking baby that purple haired girl(I dont even care for spelling her name at all)is like Tristan overall im gonna make a review on how much this is the worst anime ever.

mangafreak15

[4]Dec 11, 2006
    gaara257 wrote:
    I hate this show its retarted rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh I dont care what the wikipedia says it is a rip off of Yu-gi-oh belive me I hate this show shows like these should be ripped off the air I mean Shobu Uggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate him he makes me want to kill someone plus rikuda sounds like a f*cking baby that purple haired girl(I dont even care for spelling her name at all)is like Tristan overall im gonna make a review on how much this is the worst anime ever.

So you don't like the show because Rikuda's voice is bad and you hate Shobu for some unexplained reason? Please be more specific...

gaara257

[5]Dec 11, 2006
    mangafreak15 wrote:
    gaara257 wrote:

So you don't like the show because Rikuda's voice is bad and you hate Shobu for some unexplained reason? Please be more specific...
    I hate this show because it's a rip off of yu-gi-oh thats why not because rukida sounds lika f
    *cking baby and shobu is stupid I hate it because its a rip off of yu-gi-oh.

knuclear2005

[6]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 18
    Not sure of the ripoff part, but I think its only trying too cash in on the TCG business. Its like the Pokemon/Digimon thing. Pokemon came out in the US first then they get Digimon in here. Also duel masters dub has a lot of questuionable "trying-to-be-funny dialogue that Yugioh doesnt have i think. just like the above.

FalconPain

[7]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 13
    Technically, the card game itself is a ripoff of Magic: The Gathering. That is, if it can be considered a ripoff when it's made by the same company.

I strongly believe that the original anime was a Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters ripoff. The rescripting, on the other hand, was largely done to mock the genre.

ShadowRoxs

[8]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 7

That's what I thought when I first saw the show!

Two minds think alike, eh?!

timcouchIV

[9]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    it is partally but it is also amix of magic the gathering and pokemon as well.

FalconPain

[10]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 13
    Thanks to the recent LittleKuriboh parody, I finally heard about Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters.

This is interesting. An American-produced season. That revolves almost entirely around the protagonists of the main series and ignores most of the other characters. That takes place in a world where the monsters on the cards are real and coexisting. In which the characters must complete multiple "trials" based on various elements. And ending with a sequence where the characters combine their "powers" (actually belonging to their monsters) to stop an evil plot concocted by a group of five villains.

It feels really good to be able to ask this and mean it.
    Did Yu-Gi-Oh! just rip off Duel Masters?

benb15

[11]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 20

Personaly,I think this is a comedy spoof off of Yu-Gi-Oh.

tvmasterdoodles

[12]Aug 21, 2007
    • level: 30
    of course it is!

shurikenfreak

[13]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 5
    Actually, it was not originally a comedy spoof, it only seems that way because of the heavy changes in the script from the japanese episodes to the english ones, with a lot of pop culture jokes and such added to make it a parody-like cartoon for american audiences, to push it away from other tcg animes.

_fleur_delacour

[14]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 1
    i diagree