The Dukes of Hazzard

Daisy's Song

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 02, 1979 on CBS

• When Uncle Jesse sends the boys to Atlanta to investigate after Daisy is conned by a crooked record publisher, they end up taking on music pirates, Boss Hogg, the syndicate, the Sheriff AND the FBI. A great second episode, and one very special to me...

After the excellent start to the series in 'One Armed Bandits', things are followed up by another very likeable episode in 'Daisy's Song'.

This is another solid Georgia-filmed episode; as I said on my review for 'One Armed Bandits', although I love all periods of 'Dukes', I feel in a way they lost something when they moved from Georgia to the Hollywood lot after completion of the fifth episode.

The story is quite noticeably different from what would become 'Dukes' norm – but that's why I love these early shows, so much more variety; as much as we all love 'Dukes', I think we can pretty much agree that it became somewhat formulaic later on.

There is little of Rosco, Enos or Cooter in this one (though we do learn that Cooter is a mechanic, something that wasn't mentioned in 'One Armed Bandits'), and relatively little of Boss Hogg himself (something that was the case in several early episodes). As much as I love those characters and 'Dukes' is very much an ensemble piece, it's nice to see them facing other, more varied challenges than the standard "Rosco sent after Dukes for X trumped up charge" that we would so often get later on.
    Also of note is that there are no General Lee jumps in this one (something unimaginable in later episodes), though the story doesn't really suffer for it. Besides, the great chase through the junk yard (they sure liked junk yards in these early stories!) more than makes up for it.

And as with the other Georgia episodes, things play more of a gentle comedy-drama than an all-out comedy; some witty moments, but a more serious story. I love the scene between Uncle Jesse and Daisy (they didn't have any direct scenes together in 'One Armed Bandits'), with Daisy sitting on Jesse's knee and asking him how he got to be so wise, to which he answers "What are old men for". It's nice to see the nearby Atlanta used for filming in this one, a nice chance to the standard town sets that would be used from mid-first season.

Ronnie Schell is a great guest star as the crooked Lester Starr, and it's a shame that the he was never used again in the series, as I think the character had more mileage left in him.

Again, being one of the very early episodes, there is a more "adult" element in this one than would become the norm - in this case, a wagon full of prostitutes that the Dukes use as a distraction at the climax of the story. They are never out-and-out said to be hookers – they're termed as "party girls" – but even so, this is the sort of thing that we would never see by the second season.

By the way, in a rarity for the series, Bo wears a red shirt for much of this story instead of his usual yellow one; so Bo and Luke DO have other clothes after all!!

This episode is also very special to me personally; after discovering next-door's stray cable signal coming through the wall (see under my review for 'One Armed Bandits' for more on this!), by this second week of 'Dukes' being shown on $ky One, I had come up with a much stronger set up, and even hooked it up to the family video recorder to record! 'Dukes' originally finished it's UK run on BBC One in 1987 or so, and bar a couple of fifth season episodes that I had recorded on audio cassette for some reason, this was the first solid 'Dukes' I had had in five years!! I must've watched 'Daisy's Song' back about twenty times that week; I literally know every word of this one!

'Daisy's Song' is a great second episode to the series. For a few years my interest in it slightly dipped compared to the other four Georgia-filmed episodes (probably a result of having watched it *so darn much* back when I first recorded it!), but in more recent times, I've come to really appreciate it again. I love the feel and it's many great moments (and wish, as I say on many of these early reviews, that the series could have kept this vibe going), and for that give 'Daisy's Song' 10/10.
  • Not as good as the others but still very good!

This time the Dukes are after a fake that will not give Daisy her 50$. Daisy made a song and entered it in a contest and her song won but they will not give her the money she won. Bo and Luke are after that 50$. In the end they get it and the fakes get locked up in the state Pen.
    This Episode was the 2nd ever Dukes episode and was good but there are better so I am going with an 82 for this one. This is the start of where the show gets good and they dont steal like they do in the 1st one.
  • Great show and slowly but surely becoming a hit!

Daisy writes a song and that it would pay her
    $50 bucks if she got it recorded. Now that isn't a lot of money but to the Dukes, it is!
    So the FBI tries to find out who is trying to make uncopywrighted songs
    Of couse, Boss and Roscoe are behind the whole entire thing in order to what else? Make a buck!
  • The boys figger Daisy's out $50 when one of her songs turns up on the radio that she wrote and paid to have published. Digging a bit deeper it turns out record pirates and Boss Hogg are behind the whole scam, and the Dukes aim to set it right.

Simple plot and car chases moves this episode along nicely. Let me say if you like Daisy, this is a good episode to catch her in a skimpy outfit.

Not much Rosco and Enos, but alot more Boss Hogg than the 1st episode. The characters are coming along nicely and all play their parts well.

Daisy sends in $50 from an add she see's in a magazine to have her song published by a big time country singer. Turns out it's published and sang by crooks. Record pirates who have sound-a-likes sing the tunes that no one could tell the difference from the real thing. The boys suspicious that Daisy ain't gettin no royalties or recognition decide to investigate and find out Boss Hogg is behind the whole thing to make a quick buck.

About 1/2 and 1/2 General Lee and the yellow car here, and plenty of city shots and driving on paved road, which seems to disapear pretty much all together later on in the serious. Also no smash ups between Rosco and Enos at all in this one. Just some FBI guys gettin the short end of the stick.

This episode seems a little less family oriented with the working of a RV full of traveling prostitutes in to the plot, but it ain't that bad.

Daisy sure is sweating bullets, and so is Boss Hogg when it comes to the point that Daisy really has to sing, luckily the RV of girls distracts the whole situation and Daisy never has to sing. The FBI move in, all the bad guys are caught, Boss Hogg gets off scott free as usual because the Dukes blow up the recording studio, Daisy's still out her $50, but her song does get recorded and sung by a real big time county artist.
  • This episode was one of my favorite episodes in the first season.

I loved this episode and it was what the dukes were really about... gettin into trouble as often as the general lee jumps. Also on CMT they had taken out the best line in the episode *sob* \\\'\\\'Breaker one breaker one call me crazy but i ain\\\'t dumb. Crazy Cooter comin at ya any one home on the Hazzard net.\\\" I hated that they could of taken something else out but not that.
  • Great episode with the usual "Dukes Fun". Perfect example of what the Dukes are all about.

Funny, filled with mad action and of course very revealing shots of the sexy, gorgeous, "hottt" Catherine Bach.
    The plot is very simple. Daisy looses fifty dollars in a music piracy scheme. Duke and Bo come to the rescue. The man behind all the illegal activity is of course Boss Hog. Daisy goes "undercover" pretending to be able to imitate famous singers voice's and all goes to hell when the FBI tries to arrest everybody.

It doesnt get any better than this.

The Dukes come out on top again.