The Dukes of Hazzard

Luke's Love Story

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 16, 1979 on CBS

• Luke falls in love with the first ever female stock car competitor in the annual Hazzard Obstacle Derby. But the girl's embittered ex-husband intends to see that she never completes the race. Much better than I remembered...

This review contains spoilers.

Until I came to watch it on DVD today to review, I actually hadn't watched "Luke's Love Story" right through for many years. For some reason, it was never one of my favourites – maybe due to the fact I was only about 14 when I recorded it from $ky One way back in 1992, and the romance element was far too slushy for my young taste. But watching it today, I feel I've maybe been a bit unfair on the episode, as it has a good story with some nice scenes, and – as with all of the early episodes – much more variety than the many rather formulaic later episodes.

Although the previous episode, "Swamp Molly", was the first episode broadcast-wise to have been show after the show moved from Covington, Georgia onto the Warner Brothers lot in Hollywood, "Luke's Love Story" was actually the first to be filmed after the move.
    And as such, this episode maybe does have signs of the show finding it's footing here and there. Cooter still displays his wild man streak of the early episodes – at the very beginning of the story, he crashes into the Boar's Nest on a "borrowed" motorcycle, and it is vaguely hinted that he might have broken into Boss Hogg's house to retrieve the trophy for the upcoming race. Speaking of Boss, here the make-up team have toyed with really highlighting a wart on his face, something that is never as prominent again as it is in this episode.

It is also interesting to note that Boss and Rosco feel that Enos stands a chance of winning the derby – albeit with help from a little cheating. In the very early episodes (most notably "Mary Kaye's Baby"), Enos is considered to be a very good driver, but by the second season, he would be one of the worst drivers in Hazzard!
    The Boar's Nest is much dimmer lit than usual, and more rowdy (in the style that the original Boar's Nest was in the pilot, "One Armed Bandits"). I really like that we get to see some of the more colourful locals in this episode; later, we would only generally see well-behaved locals sitting in the background of such scenes.

Anyway, soon enough Amy Creevy appears on the scene. She is perfectly played by Roz Kelly, who had previously played quite a similar character, Pinkie Tuscadero, at the start of the third season of 'Happy Days' (she was rumoured to become a regular in that series, but was dropped after reportedly falling out with producers, trivia fans).
    She is accompanied by her ... "unusual" mechanic, Frankie (Mews Small). With her unique voice and tomboy ways, opinions vary over whether she is hilarious or annoying; I have to say, I do rather fall into the latter camp on this.

It is interesting to see Luke's morals in this story – he fells a lot for Amy, and says that he would like to be loyal to her, but subsequently says that he might not be able to keep that vow; a sign of the more sexually charged early stories, and a stark contrast to the more "clean cut" Dukes boys of later instalments.

In the end, Luke "decides to let Amy win", and off Amy and Frankie head, to take part in a race in another County, never to be seen again. It's a real shame – as with many first season guest characters, I would like to have seen Amy brought back at some point.

Being one of the early stories, this episode feels to have more "polish" to it that the rather production-line style offerings later on, and the feel that more time and care was spent setting up shots. I like that it features more moments of genuine drama (over the slapstick-heavy later stories), accompanied by some very mood-fitting music. These first season episodes were just so much more varied than many of the mid-run stories.

Car fans will enjoy this episode for the sight of several muscle cars. 'The Dukes of Hazzard' did a number of race stories over the course of it's run; my favourite has always been the excellent third season episode "Duke Vs. Duke", but my estimation of "Luke's Love Story" has raised somewhat after watching it again today.

For years, I might have ranked this episode as my least favourite of the first season, but watching it today, I think better of it. I haven't watched "Deputy Dukes" or "Route 7-11" right through for a long time either, so I'll wait till the end of the season as to which episode takes that title. But I enjoyed "Luke's Love Story" enough this time around to give it a decent 9/10.
  • The Hazzard Obsticle Race is bigger than the Christmas party and Boss Hogg just has to win it so he can keep the trophy, only problem is it's up to Enos (he's driving) to do it. Needless to say Boss has no intentions of playing fair.

First things first, the chick that plays Frankie the lady mechanic has got the most annoying kiddie sounding screechy hight pitched voice you've ever heard.

In this episode there is is two seperate scences where first Bo then Luke have almost Father Son type talks with Uncle Jessey who showers his great wisdom on them and makes everything seem all good again.

Emotions run high between the boys as Bo bets the General Lee against Lucifer, thats Amy Creevy's car. Only problem is the General 1/2 belongs to Luke who never finds this out till the end. Bo is sweating bullets as he trys to back out of the bet when he realises what he's done.

Luke has his own problems....girl problems. We learn that luke is every bit the ladies man as Bo in this episode. He has no problem gettin the ladies just a bad case of putting his foot in his mouth when ever he has to get serious with them. He falls head over heals for Amy, and she him. Only thing is he doesn't want to give up chasing other women, and she just doesn't see his point of view.

Funny scene in the beginning when Cooter crashes into the Boars Nest on a motor cycle wearing some kinda goofy get up, and gets sucker punched by the owner of the motorcyle he stole.

Rosco laughs as goofy as usual but still never says "I love it...I love it" yet.

Boss and Rosco sure do work well together as the blind leading the blind. There relationship seems to take a leap forward in this episode toward the idiots they become in future shows.

Bummer for cooter, first he can't race fair and square as Boss threatens to sell his truck to pay his driving fines if he doesn't crash the other drivers to make sure Enos wins the race. Then on race day Cooter never even makes it into his cars and Amy's former mechanic and boyfriend who has a huge grudge against Amy for firing him aims to sabatoge the whole race and crash Amy, so he bonks Cooter on the head and takes his place in his car.

Don't wanna give away to may "spoilers" here just let me say that Luke doesn't get the girls and Boss doesn't get the trophy, and Bo keeps the General.