Earth 2 Forums

NBC (ended 1995)

Official EARTH 2 Discussion Thread

BiZzZzaaR

[1]Jul 1, 2006
    • level: 5

What did U'z guys think of this show? i just found it the other days. Watched the 1st 2 episodes, and thought it was pretty good. Funny a SCI-FI show on NBC that lasted more than 1 season. Or did it?
    Edited on 08/08/2006 3:49pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

swampape

[2]Jul 3, 2006
    It got cancelled after the first season I believe. I would love to know what the writers had planned for season 2. Just as I started watching it, it got cancelled then my daughter and I caught it on some reruns a few years ago. Now I have the DVDs and am anxious to enjoy it again. Shows like this, Space:Above and Beyond, Firefly, never got a chance to really find their audience and I think networks just dislike them sometimes. A shame.

LtAgathon

[3]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 3
    I loved this show. I too wonder what was in store for a second season. I know that Devin Adair's illness was only brought into play because Debrah Farentino got pregnant, so I wonder what other storylines they were cooking up. I also wonder how long (Series wise) it would have taken them to reach New Pacifica.

BiZzZzaaR

[4]Aug 4, 2006

You know what i noticed, almost all Sci-fi Shows that aired on ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. They dont last past the first Seasons, sometimes a second but rarely. Earth 2 is one, same with FIREFLY, Space: Above and Beyond. Also with just a few shows that were canceled last year. INVASION and SURFACE.  I enjoy the out of the ordinary Shows. Im starting to get sick of the same government shows and such. they need something new that will stick and not be canceled!

EKlumppJr

[5]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 23

Thanks, BiZzZzaaR, I changed the title to make it the official Earth 2 discussion thread and made it sticky. I'm glad there's finally some discussion for the show.

It was cancelled in it's first season, and aired out of order, as was Firefly, but at least the order wasn't butchered as much in Earth 2.

I loved this show, and I wish that it had gone on to air for a few more seasons.

bmoshier

[6]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 47

swampape wrote:
    It got cancelled after the first season I believe. I would love to know what the writers had planned for season 2. Just as I started watching it, it got cancelled then my daughter and I caught it on some reruns a few years ago. Now I have the DVDs and am anxious to enjoy it again. Shows like this, Space:Above and Beyond, Firefly, never got a chance to really find their audience and I think networks just dislike them sometimes. A shame.

When the series started I knew I'd love it but felt NBC would cancel it.  NBC is not a sci-fi friendly network.  Yes, I know they own the Sci-Fi channel but I'm talking about their broadcast schedule.  The show disappointed me for awhile as it went real slow in developing the story line, but it really picked up towards the end.  I'd love to see more about the Earth-2 "universe."

Space Above and Beyond was really cool and I miss it.  Basically, the series is WWII in outer space!

MacBeth_668

[7]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 12
    The X-Files is the only modern show labeld Sci-Fi to really be a successful show. Lost is complete Science Fiction but if the creators came out and said that no one would watch the show. For some reason people view Sci-Fi as if it were the plague. I personaly didn't like any of the Sci-Fi shows from two seasons ago; Invasion was another show trying not to look Sci-Fi but completely was which was the only reason it lasted two seasons, Threshold was just lame and a rip off of Sphere, and Surface just didn't interest me at all. The only Sci-Fi show within the last few years to be a moderate success is The 4400, but it is only a success compared to other cable shows not network shows.

bmoshier

[8]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 47
    Isn't Stargate SG-1 (and even its spin-off) a modern sci-fi success story?  Its going to run 10 (or maybe it is 11) seasons.

MacBeth_668

[9]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 12
    bmoshier wrote:
    Isn't Stargate SG-1 (and even its spin-off) a modern sci-fi success story? Its going to run 10 (or maybe it is 11) seasons.

SG-1 is a success for the Sci-Fi channel, the Sci-Fi channel has fairly low raitings and doesn't have high expectations for its shows, as long as they are cheap and can get sponsors it doesn't really matter what the raitings are.
    Edited on 10/25/2006 1:15pm

cesarjose1979

[10]Oct 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    I just finished watching this show finally after starting it some 12 years ago... I remember it as a teen watching the commercials for it for weeks before it started. Then I watched the first episode after that I lost track of it till recently I decide to look up to see what ever happened to this show. I don't understand it this show deserved atleast a second season. It seems networks dont give sci-fi shows enough time to find their audience. Its sad I really enjoyed watching it from beginning to end the last 2 weeks all my free time has been to watch this.

I was very disapointed when I finally finished watching the last episode. It really dawn on me that this show was over for ever.

kdtfiles

[11]Jan 1, 2007
    this forum is rather dead.

but here goes.

this show was sooo good, sure it started out slow, but it got better as it went along. it sucks that NBC never gives it's sci-fi shows much of a chance.

some of the things i would have liked to see:
    Devin is cured - as in "Boy who would be king", the ep set in the futur she was there.

spend season 2 getting to the colony site, during their trip Cameron is killed (didn't realy like his character, heck most of the time he didn't even get credits), the Terrians must take the boy for several weeks to begin his training.
    as in season 1 they come across a plant or something that has an affect on their minds, but this time it causes them to get very agressave and untrusting, they split off into two groups, and spend some time apart, as the affects ware off they get back together. other things and hardships. plus at some point Alonzo goes off to join Yule with the Terrians to keep his human contact strong. and for season finale they get to it and the last shot is of them breaking ground. it could also work as series finale.

season 3, setting up the colony, but things are hard, discover more bad creatures, struggle to find material to build, and live off.

MacGyver46

[12]Jan 18, 2007
    • level: 28
    I watched this show when i was just a littlin. Must have been about 10 or so... but i remember that I liked it. Don't think theres much chance of getting the dvd here in Aus so I wonder if ill ever get to watch it again now that im a biggin

pksomewhere

[13]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 2
    These links are worth a look, they're two interviews with Clancy Brown who played Danziger. He talks about some of the story ideas proposed for season 2 and how Devon might have been cured. They give at least some insight into what the writers might have been planning http://www.scifi.com/transcripts/scifi.con2.0/ClancyBrown.html

http://www.geocities.com/skipperytoo/CBFCissue3.html

DreamCruise

[14]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 13
       Loved this show, was attracted to it for different reasons.  It reminded me of a trip I took to New Mexico years ago. Travelled sixty miles by horseback, camping out, no provisions except what the wagons carried.  Took one shower (maybe two) had no tent (should have, but didn't).  At the start of the trip we were twenty or so strangers, but by day two we were a family.  I'll never forget it.  Earth 2 has all those elements.  My favorite line (forgot which episode) is one of them saying "My sleeping bag had ice on it this morning"..........because on the trip I would wake up with frost in my hair. Glad I forgot that tent or that never would have happened.   As for the DVD set, has anyone else had problems with the discs ?  I'm on my second set (from Amazon) and a couple of them slow down, the picture is distorted, and eventually my DVD player shuts itself down.  No other DVD's have done that, and I have rented several movies from Blockbuster, Family Video, etc.  Thanks for any feedback.

EKlumppJr

[15]Feb 16, 2007
    DreamCruise wrote:
    Loved this show, was attracted to it for different reasons. It reminded me of a trip I took to New Mexico years ago. Travelled sixty miles by horseback, camping out, no provisions except what the wagons carried. Took one shower (maybe two) had no tent (should have, but didn't). At the start of the trip we were twenty or so strangers, but by day two we were a family. I'll never forget it. Earth 2 has all those elements. My favorite line (forgot which episode) is one of them saying "My sleeping bag had ice on it this morning"..........because on the trip I would wake up with frost in my hair. Glad I forgot that tent or that never would have happened. As for the DVD set, has anyone else had problems with the discs ? I'm on my second set (from Amazon) and a couple of them slow down, the picture is distorted, and eventually my DVD player shuts itself down. No other DVD's have done that, and I have rented several movies from Blockbuster, Family Video, etc. Thanks for any feedback.

I've had no problems with my DVD set. I've watched all the episodes all the way through with none of these problems.

DreamCruise

[16]Feb 23, 2007
    • level: 13
    EKlumppJr wrote:
    I've had no problems with my DVD set. I've watched all the episodes all the way through with none of these problems.
    Thanks for answering.  I'm thinking it must be my DVD player because I loaned one of the discs to a friend and he said it played fine for him.  Guess I'll have to go shopping !

DanialCarroll

[17]Aug 8, 2007

I have to say, I watched this showback in '95 when it first aired here in Australia and for some reason I really liked it. I was a little annoyed that it only lasted 1 season, but as everyone else has pointed out, it's rare for a sci-fi show to last very long. I was tempted to buy the DVDs but they didn't get a Region 4 release,and I couldn't justify the $50 cost for the Region 1 version. Anyway, I recently got pay-TV and have been watching them on Sci-Fi andfound that I still like them. Unfortunately Icaught itat Ep. 12 (Better Living Through Morganite) so I'll have to wait for it to come back aroundbefore I canwatch the first 11. As someone else mentioned, I would love to see something else created with the Earth 2 "universe", but I doubt I ever will. Shame really.

P.S. For those theorising about the possible future of the series, I found a site that had the following statement about the shows cancellation:

"Earth 2's producers were fired by Universal in hopes of changing the show to fit what the mass population wanted to see. A promo was created by Universal for a second season, but this was rejected by NBC and the show was cancelled.A promo tape was found and shown at the first Earth 2 convention, New PacifiCon 1996. No one had seen it before, not even the cast members, and after viewing what the second season may have been like, everyone was generally glad the show wasn't renewed. The proposal was not what we would want for a second season. In essence, they dumbed the show down, until it would have been almost unrecognizable as the one we had grown to love."

So perhaps it's better that it ended, leaving us with the positive memories

TerrianKing

[18]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    This was a good show but because of the constant preemptions during it's original run on NBC, I didn't see all of the episodes until the SciFi channel ran them several years back. The episodes were edited and sped up to accomodate commercials. The DVD release let me see the episodes in their entirety for the first time since the original run. E2 had a good premise, memorable characters and in spite of a slow start, it ended with some good episodes. Too bad it also has a cliffhanger from hell that was never resolved. I wonder why no one connected with the series ever thought to write a novel? There were three books written about the series and one would think a fourth one to resolve the cliffhanger would have occurred to SOMEONE.
    I've seen the promo,BTW, and it is, in a word, awful. There also used to be a differtent gag reel on line than the one included with the DVD set. The site that carried them is no longer available.

crawford47

[19]Jul 10, 2009
    • level: 4
    This is my second favorite science fiction show ever.My favorite is "Lost",but 'Earth2" was the first show in that genre I loved.It opened me up to the science fiction genre and I could never have appreciated "Lost" had "Earth2" not been on."Earth2" was amazing show that only lasted one season on NBC but I still watch it tol this day I even own the complete series on DVD.It was a groundbreaking show not only visually but was team lead by a female "Devon Adair" played brilliantly by Debrah Farentino.Iloved this show so much when it was on,Ialways wanted "Devon Adair"and "John Danziger"to get together.It was a one of a kind show and one of the best ever in this genre.

Eway_basic

[20]Nov 20, 2010

Just started watching this series and these kids are already getting on my nerves. They might keep me from watching the whole thing.