Earth 2

NBC (ended 1995)

EKlumppJr

Earth 2 Fan Reviews (20)

• a group of explorers depart Earth in search of Earth 2: the future of the human race

This show was a forgotton Gem of the 1990s. it had a great sci-fi concept and was well portray. It was a true shame that the powers that be disagreed and cancelled it. I really enjoyed the contemporary technology with the future cryosleep tech melded together to for the fantastic show.
  • This was a great show

Why they only made one serie is unbelivable since Earth 2 was a great show that I miss terrible. Thankfully they just released the DVD which I've already ordered. Earth 2 was adventurus, funny, dramatic and had almost everything a good tv show must include. I recomend to everyone to check it out, you won't be dissapointed.
  • Gotta love E2

Earth 2 yet another show that ended before it even had a chance to start. Earth was refreshlying different for the genre, there is plenty if intrgue and plot twist from the first episode to its last... sadly it didn't catch the eye of this fickle generation. Its potential unfullfilled
  • I remember watching the first episode of Earth 2 and being amazed not only at its technical visuals but also amazed by its desire to tell a truly wonderful and captivating story sadly Earth 2 never got to live up to its potential.

Earth 2 begins with a bang literally. They spend very little time on the space station during the orgianal two hour permire. Not that we need to stay on the space station as it has very little to do with the actual show. Earth 2 is a frontier show, a show about exploring the unknown. Its not about a space station.

The forerunners of the colonisits land months before the rest but thats where things go wrong. Their ship crash lands a lot of miles away from the correct destination and because of this they have to journey through this strange planet. What the colonsists discover is that they are not alone on this planet. The Colonists discover that the planet has living beings, Terrins and Grendlers among others. This is where things get really strange. Strange in a good way.

Uly one of the two kids on the show came down to the planet with a sickness from the stations. His sickness is cured magically during the first episode of the show by the Terrins. During the course of the 22 episodes a lot of trust and mistrust are placed upon the Terrins who are very intelligent and very much a part of their planet.

Sadly Earth 2 never got to really live up to its potential. At the end of the only season of the show we are still left with dozens of questions. NBC decided to remove Earth 2 and put on a show that they only kept around for a season as well.

Earth 2 was an amazing sci fi show with very well written characters and plot outlines. There is no telling where they could have gone if the show had been given at least three to five seasons. We would have gotten answers about Gaal perhaps, or more answers about what exactly the stations back around Earth were planning. There would have been a lot more about the Terrins and the Grendlers as well I am certain. Sometimes it is frustrating to not get the answers that you want, and that is the bottom line as to what happened with Earth 2. It shined breifly, but what a shine.
  • Started out so damn good and finished so damn crappy.

5.1
    For those of us that love sci fi television shows, we don't get many good off-world shows, most take place on ships (star trek) or come back to earth (stargate). This had so many possibilies, with a great alien culture (the Terrians) and a great cast and a greater premise. Earth is dying and another habitable planet is... habited. Not only that, but there's millions of sick kids coming its way.

The series (short lived) took us on a wild adventure of mysteries around every corner as our explorers explore a foreign world. Just when things were going good, and future seasons looked promising, the show ended. The last two episodes were cut in from previous deleted episodes and we were left with no ending. The captain of the ship and leader is frozen in deep sleep, the millions of kids are months away, the planet is rejecting its new visitors, the Terrians are less trusting of humans than ever, and that's it. No more. Nothing. Maybe someday someone will make Earth 3...
  • loved E2

earth 2 was the best sf show on tv. Unlike other crap like Star treck and so on, Earth 2 was filled with originality and was more realistic than every other series in the genere. it focused on interpersonal relationships unsderstood to deliver a political message. it was a series like no other. i want it back!
  • Started out with an interesting premise and died!

This show started out with a great premise and nice effects / graphics and went downhill from there.

The show fell into a trap of its own making when it delved into the area of native species mysticallity and then again when it turned out this planet was a secret prison planet.

Can you believe that ANY government would use this high a quality planet for a prison planet!

The real problem I had with the show, is once they landed they became less interesting. I found I could not get "emotionally" invested with any of the characters and ultimetely the stories became repetitive and boring.
  • this show was on of a kind in the early 90's

i loved this show. i never understood why it was cancelled. it was "lost" before there was "lost". it had a wonderful cast, but the writers could have done a better job. i thought some episodes were the coolest ever and could have kept to a drawn out story line. but some episodes just seemed like filler. i guess the chances of it ever making a come back are nill.
  • Life on another planet made this a great show.

i really really loved this show. I fell in love when i saw Danzinger. I really like that character. I thought he was so cute. Everyone in the cast was perfectly matched. I enjoyed how the aliens were treated badly yet still helps uli. I thought it was great that the real threat and enemy were the human corporations trying to monopolize the new world. It was great that theer wsa a dream world and technology waws not super advance htan now. I always felt sorry for the terrians. They were so misunderstood. Then the grendle thinfs were yuck. Ugly. YEt great that they cause so mcuh trouble. I loved how tim curry had a small role. His is always a pleasure to wastch. I wish a tv movie would be made to show hwo everything ended up with the chareacters. THere were so many unansuwed questions.
  • A show set in the future but hankering back to the days of exploration and colonization. Aclever show where \"this time we were the Aliens\". There goal was to et accross the planet to meet up with other settlers who were on their way at a slower pace.

The pilot show was amazing and really set the tone for the whole show.There was a miss match of charecters all flawed but all human(ish) who were trying to survive in a totally alien enviroment with very little,though cool,technology. Their leader was a very stong independant woman called Devon who was used to getting her way and not happy about consantly locking horns with the working class grease monkey who gradually became her second in command.All the charecters went through big and sometimes alien changes as the season went on, the doctor Julia was a very good character who literally turned her life around to be part of the group and Alonzo who had been a committed space pilot began to see a future for himself on the ground. Bess and Morgan were a strange couple but you grew to appreciate what they saw in each other as the season went on and the other side characters were all used pretty well. It was a small cast and had a lot of potential but seeing the plan for the second season from the network I was glad that it never made it to the screen and as a stand alone season, it is one that comes off my shelf quite a lt to be enjoyed again and agin
  • This show had a good premise, but it just didn't cut it.

With a very nice premise, this show could have been a really good one. Outer space is an exciting backdrop to explore on tv, this show just didn't make it happen. It just didn't work out well. It looked really strange, there were a good set of characters, they could have made this an interesting drama, but it was not to be. this show falls short of plot and exciting stories to tell. the pacing was dull, it just wasn't that interesting. but to give the producers credit, the show had a very nice setting. they made it look the environment look so out of this world, but they should have worked more with the plot.
  • Earth is uninhabitable and humans have been living in space stations for generations. To save her sick son, Devon Adair leads an expedition to a distant planet, where they face countless difficulties and dangers.

I can't believe this show was on over ten years ago! I have very fond memories of it. It had a unique story, interesting characters backed by a talented cast, and some real potential. It started strong but seemed to fade toward the end of its run. Still, I think if it was on the air today and given a fair chance to prove itself, Earth 2 might fare better than it did a decade ago.
  • I really enjoyed this show - I was very sad to see it canceled. I remember vaguely watching "Land of the Lost" when I was very little - and this show reminded me of it alot. A nice memory from my childhood...

The Earth II natural inhabitants were what reminded me of the "Slestacks" (sp?) from "Land of the Lost."

I liked the "realism" of this show as far as if we would try to start a colony on a new planet - I thought it was a great representation. It dealt with the natural inhabitations, the harshness of adapting to new climates and such. The communication devices that they used were also interesting. A large part of the story was of these people trying to adapt to their new surroundings. The son of one of the scientist was being “altered” by the planet – by the natural inhabitations. This was all very fascinating.

They only started losing me when they started having flashes from the future of the results of what they were doing now in the present. That all started to get to be a bit much but it was worth sitting through for the rest of the show and what was happening to these people as they tried to colonize this new world.

This show had potential it has been missed.
  • Adaire and her team of travelers crash land on their planet and are expected to reach the site for the new hospital after earth's conditions are not livable for young children with medical issues.

I don't blame the network for canceling this although I liked the show it was just bloody weird!! I mean i never knew what ws going to happen half the time and the other half i was still tring to process what was going on. I don't think overalll i will miss this show too much. My only thing with this show is that at the end of the show they never show you what happens to a main cast member they basicly just leave off with this person being frozen??? I understand why my questions is what with wrong with them than they had to be frozen, however i will probably never know. It should be past as an ethically law amoung TV producers that a show not end until it has finished any major open story lines.
  • Based on the book of the same name by Richard J. Hynes, this is the story of a group of people who leave the stars in search of a planet to call home.

More than a decade after reading the book, and years after the show had ended, I stumbled across this hidden jewel of a TV show. Of all the 'based on the book' type shows or movies that I have seen, this show lines up with the book more accurately than all the rest; in both plot and spirit and doing an excellent job of adding to the story without diluting it. While the book ended with Ulysses' healing, this story continues with the story of how the humans and terrians live with each other, adding the grendlers in for extra trouble.
  • Where did it go? Left me hanging beyond belief!!

From the very first episode I was hooked on Earth 2. I anxiously awaited a new episode each week. Then suddenly it was gone! No closure, no nothing!!! Could they have left me hanging any more than they did? I don't think so. I loved this show, and it had so much potential. Then suddenly it was gone. Where did it go? I can't find reruns anywhere. I can't find videos at my local library, nothing. I was go glad to find this site where I can at least check out some of what was made. If you've never seen Earth 2 before you are warned. It is highly infectious, and will just drop you like a stone at the end.
  • There is some great fan fiction out there that continues where the show left off. Check it out at: http://www.fanfiction.net/tv/Earth_2/

I enjoyed this show a great deal. I didn't get to see the whole thing back when it was on tv, so I'm glad it's been released on dvd. The final episode cliff hanger, is very aggravating! Yet another example of great sci fi that was canceled by main stream television. I agree that perhaps it was better off canceled rather than ruined by money rakers with no love for story. I wish they'd had a bit more patience especially since it won some significant awards in the US and Germany. I enjoyed the casting, the creature effects, and the New Mexico wilderness setting. Too bad it didn't have someone like Joss Whedon to get it turned into a movie like with his canceled series Firefly.

Still, there is some great fan fiction out there that continues where the show left off. Check it out at: http://www.fanfiction.net/tv/Earth_2/

I recommend Arcole's continuation starting from: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4110810/1/Blast_from_the_Past

Don't miss this great series!
  • This was a truly underappreciated show with a great deal of potential.

Tim Curry. Rebecca Gayheart. Jessica Steen. Clancy Brown. John Gegenhuber. These are the actors whose performances made me want to watch this show that features: Earth colonists (who have previously pretty much destroyed the original Earth) have searched out and found new home in outer space; Female leader of the group of colonists; Pre-existing cultures and species; Government conspiracies; Some very interesting technology, too. The story line was multilayered, but pretty linear. There werent' many one-off shows you could just watch and weren't connected to anything else. But I like that. I was sad to see it canceled, but it was an NBC sci-fi show, and cancellation was to be expected, even back in the '90s.
  • A group of people born on space stations in a future where our planet cannot sustain life travel to a new earth and are forced to learn to survive.

This show has everything! There is action, romance, survival, adventure, and suspense. It broke my heart when it was cancelled! I am enjoying rewatching the episodes on DVD now that they have released it. Clancy Brown (also seen in The Shawshank Redemption and Carnivale on HBO) is my favorite character as John Danziger. He is a single father raising his daughter under the harsh conditions that the new Earth offers while looking after the rest of the group as the strongest male. He is a wonderful counterpart to Devon Adair, the group\'s leader. She is optmistic and driven while Danziger is negative and cautious. If you are a fan of sci-fi, I highly recommend you try this show. But be warned...it was cancelled after 24 episodes and ends abruptly. You will forever be wondering what happens next. Even then, it\'s worth watching!
  • In the near future the earth looms behind enormous artificial satellites, a luminous blue ball of hope and despair for those unlucky enough to have been born with the syndrome

Not only a reminder of what has been lost to the millions of humans destined to forever live separated from a world too fragile to accommodate them, but the catalyst for change.

The inherent hygienic nature of life aboard a space station has begun to underscore the desperate Human need for contact with Earth.

Dale is a wealthy and privileged mother, her son Ulysses is 9 and no syndrome child has lived past 10 years old. Determination and desperation have led Dale to defy local authorities in order to save her son.

For the past few years Dale has used her wealth and influence to gather interest in her bold idea - she plans to leave the stations and travel light years across space to an unchartered solar system where Earth 2 lies, a habitable sister planet to our earth.

The Council, the ruling body of Earth has stalled Dale as long as they can - by now the Eden Project has 250,000 syndrome families entering hibernation for the long voyage across space, however, the Council is not without its plans to stop the Eden Project.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

As the Eden Project Crew review their final checks for tomorrows historic launch to Earth 2 preparations are under way by the Council to destroy Dale's ship - the Eden Advance - sent 2 years ahead of the bulk of the expedition so as to establish a working colony, needless to say, the council fails this time.

A catastrophic emergency occurs just as Eden Advance arrives at Earth 2, leading to complete chaos and possibly the end of the Expedition.

This is a story of survival, akin to the pioneers of the Wild West mixed with a mystical world where the local inhabitants seem to be tiny unusual parts of a much larger organism.

While wooden at times Earth 2 is a small triumph - with limited special effects we are drawn into a sci-fi world that is character based affording the viewer a warmer show than one would expect.

Intrigue, drama, mysticism and frivolity are trademarks of Earth 2 and i thoroughly enjoyed all but two episodes.

Recommended viewing for those who like witty drama and who can forgive the overly re-used sets.