Earth: Final Conflict

CTV (ended 2002)

Earth: Final Conflict Fan Reviews (20)

• The storyline was a strange tangle of confusion and mystery...

4.2
    For the life of me, I just couldn't understand why this show was so hugely popular at the time. The storyline was a strange tangle of confusion and mystery and to be honest I was curious for a long time as to where the plot was going. That's why I watched it... The story never seemed to go anywhere and it always ended on a strange note. It was always unresolved - I like finality and that's why I never could watch this show and be satisfied about it. The show always seemed to DRAG on for hours - I never could enjoy it.
  • Spaceships land on Earth, bringing beings who are humanoid, but not human. They have technology that is significantly advanced of mankind's, and offer to share it with us. But the aliens have their own agenda...

The program, Earth: Final Conflict, was a masterfully done piece of work. Being an extension of the master, Gene Roddenbury's, work, it was produced by the very intelligent and versatile Majel Barrett, his wife.
    Earth: Final Conflict had an entirely believable plotline in which aliens land on Earth and are supposedly benificent. It is later discovered that they, of course, have their own agenda which is not altogether altruistic. The special effects, such as the heads-up control displays, have become increasingly widely used. Stargate Atlantis uses them in the Ancient ships called puddle-jumpers, and they were used by Keanu Reeves in movies as well as device.com using the same concept in their current tv commercials. The protagonist to antagonist conflicts were well developed, in both the Taelon society as well as the human, with "good guys" and "bad guys" in both.
    Unfortunately, as with many series of this nature, the amount of unique plots for an ongoing series wore thin and it became necessary to resolve them and bring the series to a close. I, and my wife, both thoroughly enjoyed this series and were disappointed when it went off the air.
  • Another great sci-fi from Gene Roddenberry.

Great show in the beginning, but went downhill at the end. The storyline for the first two seasons was great, stopped watching it after. Although if you have really bad taste the other seasons are good to. I suggest just buying the first two seasons. Now for the actors, the actors much like the show are better in the first seasons. By far the best actors and characters are the guys who play Boone and Sandoval. The costume design is also pretty good, and the makeup artists did a crazy good job. In the end this is a well rounded show over all.
  • This series actually "*went* downhill fast!", after a stunningly brilliant 1st season.

Please note that the rating of 7.5 is for the entire 5-season run of the show. However, this series started out like a house on fire! From the archives of Gene Rodenberry, and spearheaded by his widow, Majel Barrett, this show gave us innovative ideas for a science fiction television show, intriguing long-term story arcs, with really interesting characters and a great cast of humans and aliens. Set in the present day, Earth: Final Conflict began to tell the story of an alien race, the Taelons (who came to be called "Companions") come to the earth with designs to make our lives better: ending crime, curing illness, feeding the world. A blessing some would say; but others on earth, unafraid to look a gift horse in the mouth, looked at this with skepticism, and sought the ugly underbelly of such beneficence. And they found it. Thus was born the resistance. It was all the more attractive, as this story *could have happened* in our lifetime! I truly looked forward to entering the world the writers were developing. By the first season finale I was a die-hard viewer and had dragged along several friends who didn't even *like* the science-fiction genre, in general.

Then on to season two: I was disappointed from the start, what with the replacement of the show's lead (Kevin Kilner) for a younger, but less talented and less interesting fellow, trying to attract that special demographic. But I kept hope alive that the show would be set back on track, as the marvelously crafted aliens were still intact. There were rumors abounding about the show's creative/production staff being divided on how to present the series, and it showed in the episodes. The third season was bad, the fourth season was worse, and the fifth season? Totally different series altogether, perhaps in preparation for a spinoff series! I cannot even recommend that viewers watch the show on DVD, as the 2 best seasons (1 & 2) are not available in any format as of this writing in early 2007.
  • The concept and characters of season 1 were the best I've seen on tv, up to date ^_^

The concept, storyline and original characters were the best I've seen in a show. This show was my religion in elementary school, I started watching it after I caught a glimpse of the 4th episode at my cousin's place. The character of Da'an instantly drew me to find out what this show was and when it was on. Leni Parker is up to date my favorite actress, thanks to that role, and both her and Anita La Selva did a great job. Their biggest mistake however was killing off Kevin Kilner's character, I would have loved seeing how things would develop if he stayed in the show. Basically, the show went downhill from there, season 2 was intresting, thanks to Liam; but later on his character completly changed to worse, and the the main course of the show became really bad, even though the episodes themselves had intresting storylines. The character of Renee Palmer was the most pointless wannabe character I've ever seen in a show; An unknown, unoriginal, boring character taking over the whole show, it completely ruined it. By season 4 things were as bad as they could be, the characters have gone astray, things were getting hopeless, and the only reason I kept watching was Da'an. Season 5 was a joke. The episodes with Boone's and Zo'or's comeback were a disgrace to the memory of two great characters, probably added due to the show losing viewers quickly.
    I've seen a lot of bad endings, but I am yet to see one as bad as having two races completly dying out, and humanity being portrayed as bad as it could be. It truly couldn't have been any worse. All in all, I choose to remember EFC for it's greateness, it's concept, characters and all the great things season 1 had to offer, instead of a show that went downhill as bad as it could. It is up to this day, a show that had the biggest influence on my childhood, and I choose to remember it for the good, because when it started it was the very best TV series, ever.
  • It's rare to see a TV series start so strong and lose its way so quickly.

The first season of this series was great and interesting, and I found myself anticipating it as a must-see. Then, characters left or got killed off, and others not so good (and mostly one-dimensional) appeared. Generally, the whole show started a very depressing slide to the point where I would avoid watching it, because it had turned from thought-provoking to downright pap. No wonder that nearly none of the characters in the cast actually stayed for the entire series (just Sandoval, who wasn't a shining example of humanity, although capably rendered by Von Flores). For some reason, the creators kept getting rid of the good guys, making them mutate or die. Vacuous non-ending to something that started out with so much hope. If you need to watch this series then i recommend season 1 and possibly 2, after that forget it.
  • It's rare to see a TV series start so strong and lose its way so quickly.

• This might sound a bit confusing...

Season one was really great. I really with it could have stay like that. Sure the other seasons had some great episodes but they just didn't compare to the first. So many bad things happened to the show, they kept taking people away, changing the story line, until the fifth season where it was a completely different show. I didn't even watch that season. I wish they could bring it back to the season one greatness and actually there's a website that did write their own episodes from where season one ended. But the great parts were fabulous so I still heigh recommend people to watch it.
  • A strange looking show.

I first saw the commercial of this show expecting another cool sci fi series, instead I was dissapointed with it and didn't follow up the show. I stopped watching it and stopped caring about it. This show looked really weird, the effects were great, the premise of the show needed some kind of rewriting. The concept just didn't jive with the sci fi genre very well. Perhaps it's under developed. The strangeness of the show prevented me from watching it any further, this show lacked the must see factor and the plots were getting stranger as the show went on. Overall, this show just didn't do it for me.
  • This show was an innovative idea by Gene Roddenberry. I wish this show had alot more success then it did. I met Leni Parker and Bob Leeshock at the huge scifi con here. It was a pleasure meeting them both. I wish the show was still on air.

Earth: Final Conflict, was an incredible idea with its ta'lons, and other aliens, and threats to the Earth. I fell in love with Lilly and Da'an. Lilly, the robust female cop with the killer shape. I loved her. Da'an, the sexy ta'lon who stood for good, but could not compete against her spoiled-rotten bad fruit of a ta'lon whose name is..."tsk I cannot think of her name". She became a formiable villain and fans adored her.
    The problem I found with this series from the beginning, was that the aliens were feminine/masculine in their appearance, but they all were played by women and so their voices and mannerisms were feminine. I suspected that the male audience in tvland did not catch on to this very well; but this new alien portrayal was effective enough for me.

The "Hagel being" was good, strong and lethal. The last season was so sad, and changed all of our beloved characters. I could hardly watch it. Oh well, maybe in the near future, some brave soul will buy the rights to this show, and do it the way it should have been done. My fingers are crossed!
  • Loved this show in the 90's!

This was not a bad show at all
    I love this show, especially from Gene Rodenberry the Star Trek creator
    It is about an ailen race trying to come for "peace" but has more evil agendas
    At first Police Captain William Boone assinged as a protector to the ailens then Liam Kincaid
    I liked Liam more than William because though jerky at times, Liam was more human and had more of a sense of humor
    Didn't see the fifth season that much as Liam left and so did the show go out the window.
  • Unrewarding, flawed and lacking in the consistency department.

2.8
    Sci-fi fans beware: this show is a waste of time. Expect flaws; character flaws, plot continuity flaws and a total lack of basic science.
    Then there's the huge changes from season to season, including the cast, the story and even the special effects. I could *almost* forgive all that, if it wasn't for the dead ends. There are a lot of exciting areas that could have been explored, it feels like vital plot elements are introduced then forgotten about a few episodes later. What ever happened to the bio-surrigates, the nano-technology? Why aren't we exploring ID space after the Taelons are gone? The twist at the end of the fourth season was like one plot ended and another, completely different show had started. The creators of this show should stick to period dramas.
  • Should have ended at the end of the 4th season.

When I first saw EFC on my TV I thought it was the best show ever. Season 1 was great, very original storylines but not too farfetched, great acting by Kevil Kilner as Commander Williams Boone and Von Flores as FBI Agent, Ronald Sandoval. This show had the potential to become the best ever.

Seasons 2-4 saw the disappearance of almost all the original characters, Boone, Lily, Augur, Jonathan Doors, were all gone. However the introduction of other memorable characters like Liam Kincaid, Renee Palmer and Juliet Street made up. These three seasons however, did not live up to the expectations of EFC fans. It seemed that the show's originality was gone and EFC was just one more Sci-Fi show. Season 5 was disastrous and should have never been created.

EFC though still remains a classic and a trendsetter of future Sci-Fi shows.
  • EFC was a great series which I can recommend to anyone who likes good SciFi with twisted plots,good drama and great action. Earth: Final Conflict is definitely an underappreciated series.

Earth: Final Conflict is about an alien race that happens to find Earth and they land here. After their landing they have "companions" sent to each of the major countries and they also have a mothership in orbit around Earth.

EFC is all about the crooked plots and plans of the Taelons. Also there's a human character called Sandoval who is actually the only character to be there for all the 5 seasons. The cast of EFC changes a lot, but the changes are usually acceptable.

About Sandoval though, even though he is working for the Taelons, he does have his own agenda going on and that deepends the twisted plotlines of EFC. Also the music of EFC, the humor of it, and the action is indeed excellent.

I personally like all the seasons of EFC, but I have to agree with many here that season 5 is the low point of the series. Seasons 1-4 are excellent.

After season 4 the series totally changes.. not some small cast changes but the setup of the series changes. It's not about crooked plots and all that anymore, but it's more dark and straightforward and a lot of action. But it's OK even in season 5. The same thing didn't happen to EFC that happened to Andromeda, which declined to total crap. EFC is still very much worth watching in season 5, although the greatness of the previous seasons is long gone.

However the character Sandoval continues to stay alive and the fate of that character alone is worth watching season 5. Sandoval continues his own agenda in season 5 and that's a pleasure to watch even though other things have degraded a bit in that season.

I can seriously recommend this series for any SciFi fan. It's totally different from any other Roddenberry series, nothing like Star Trek or Andromeda. It's unique and interesting. Cunning and twisted. It has beautiful special effects. Good drama, good humor and decent actors.

May Da'an and Zo'or live forever.
  • was fun when it started ,should have ended sooner

6.1
    They are the Companions. Aliens, come to earth on a mission of peace. Their true mission, the secrets they hide, forever alter humanity. In the struggle for our planet, the battle between these Taelon Companions and the Human Resistance, holds the key to Earths future and the fate of mankind.
    I thought Lisa Howard -Lili Marquette, Robert Leeshock -Liam Kincaid and Kevin Kilner -William Boone were great actors in great leading roles, but after a while the storyline just dint work for me.Seasons 1-4 were great, but the fifth season is what really brings down the show for most people that watched it all the way through.
  • Channel 5 signed the death warrant of this thought-provoking sci-fi series without giving it a chance to prove itself.

7.4
    In the UK, Earth: Final Conflict was broadcast on Channel 5 in the wee small hours of the morning.

Never mind that a large portion of the UK population don't receive Channel 5 at any time of the day or night; to broadcast a new TV programme in the middle of the night is a guaranteed way to doom it to failure from the outset.

Needless to say, I am a huge Sci-Fi fan, so I religiously set my VCR to record this gem of a TV programme and hungrily devoured each episode of the first series.

When the first series ended I cried "Bring on the second series!" Alas, Channel 5 didn't heed me one bit and I was left bereft, with no way to find out how the whole thing turned out. Was Boone really dead? Was the full extent of Taelon's plan uncovered and made public to the people of Earth? These are questions that I need the answers to.

I am aghast to find out there were another 4 seasons of this thought-provoking sci-fi series, which I have been denied. I will just have to wait for a programme scheduler at one of the cable channels to come to their senses and repeat the series or, failing that, buy it on DVD, if it's available.

Come on people, you know it makes sense!!!
  • "They are the Companions. Aliens, come to earth on a peace mission. Their true mission, the secrets they hide, forever alter humanity. In the struggle for our planet, the battle between these Taelon Companions and the Human Resistance, holds the key to Ea

There is only one word to classify this show and that word would be GENIUS. Each episode of every season was so intense and deep. Switching from Boone to Liam as lead character was interesting and different. You don’t see that much. Not only that but they pulled it off. Then going from Liam to Renee was even cooler. Each season was so brilliant.
    My favorite happens to be the one season that many people didn’t like. That was the fifth and final season. Although it did become a different show in the sense that a lot of things changed, but I thought they were neat changes. I really enjoyed seeing Renee in the lead role. Not only that she had a steady love interest. And we saw the return of Boone and Liam. I thought the Atavus were scary and I like how they originated from Taelons and Jeridians. It was different in a good way I believe it brought more action and intensity to the show. I felt it was needed. My favorite episode was “Final Conflict.” The ending was amazing. I would have liked to see another season with Renee and Liam traveling through space. The show had so much to it. It was so deep and I thought it finished on top. Thank you for five years of great television
  • Seasons 1-4 were great, but the fifth season is what really brings down the show for most people that watched it all the way through.

7.1
    The story itself is original with good character development throughout the series...well the first four seasons at least. Based on the creator of Star Treks ideas, the story is about a group of aliens named The Talon's that have landed on earth and within three years time did away with war and global hunger for humanity. When the show starts the talons aren't exactly revered as the savior of humanity, but they are highly respected by the people of earth and have their own buildings within several cities across the world. Not everyone is trusting of the talons sencerity and there are those that form a resistance to fight for the ridence of them from earth which in my opinon helps get the show going. The show has good character development and with each new season new characters are introduced that fit overall into the story that drive it along at a good pace. The season finale of season 4 was very well written and in my opinon should have ended there, but just like Bablyon 5 they had to bring it back for another season except where as B5 did an alright job...EFC didn't quite do so well in terms of making to show last. The ending was subpar, but had some sort of closure to the series...a decent series, but there is much better out there.
  • It Should Have Ended At Season 4

Like Andrmoida after it this series lasted to long.

It was all great until it went into season 5 then it went down hill.

If it ended at Season 4 it would be hailed as a great series.

This is a prime example of what happens to series that last to long.
  • Started out fantastic, was good, final season was painful to watch.

Season one was just fantastic, starring Kevin Kilner as William Boone. In fall of 98, Liam Kinkade replaces Boone as the main protagonist. Liam is the head of the show until the end of season four, when the show goes downhill. The taelons disappear. The jaridians disappear. And a new race of baddies called the Atavus are the bad guys...which look nothing like Da'an when he became an atavus in the season two episode entitled "atavus". The lack of a male lead hurt season five as well. Boone guest starred in two episodes and it was cool to see Boone back, and Liam was in the final episode. But why does Augur disappear?

Oh well. The first four seasons were good. Season 5 is mediocre. If only the first two seasons would be released on DVD.