Eastbound & Down Forums

HBO (ended 2013)

Big disappointment so far :/

BoudewijnvG

[1]Jul 9, 2008
    • level: 5
    Disappointing .. was hoping for a quality comedy show here, but it tries too hard and, at times, is rather painful to watch :/ I am not one to dislike shows for their crude content and/or cussing, but this show is just over the top in a negative way. The main character is not likable in any way and not funny to boot. Filled with poorly timed racist and sexual jokes that just don't work out.

I only watched a pre-air screener bootleg and I honestly hope they finetune this show some more so that it becomes watchable. Because if the don't this show wont last long... but then again all horrible shows seem to outlast the good ones, so who knows...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marbrothax

[2]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 4
    I tried to watch it, but turned it off after 10 minutes. No point in watch a comedy show if isn't funny and you don't like the main character.

bringtvtomeback

[3]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 2
    I thought this was one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time. As a teacher I can appreciate how out of place a mulleted hillbilly red neck is in the classroom. I did think however that it would work better as a movie, but the pilot was hysterical and I cannot wait to see more episodes.

cross_mr

[4]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 9
    This was pretty horrible. I didn't even make it 10 minutes. It was about 5 minutes and I had to turn it off. I don't know what HBO was thinking. Canceling lucky louie and picking up this.
    It was utter garbage.

Souza98

[5]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 8

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on that, this show was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, it reminds me of Trailer Park Boys and Back Of The Y. Sure its no Curb, but its not trying to be.

I mean what were you expecting with a main character like that? An intellectual sitcom to rival the likes of Frasier and Curb? No, you're going to see a crude, foul mouthed and idiotic redneck doing things his way or not at all.

Call me anti-American if you like but I can't help but feel that Kenny Powers embodies the perception of America on the world stage (perhaps before Obama became President Elect). Powers is blindly self righteous, self-centered, consumed by pride and thinks that admitting he is wrong is a fundamental weakness. "I gotta remember that I am a winner man, I gotta remember that I am better than everyone else! F%*# man! I'm a bulletproof tiger dude!" - Kenny Powers.

It was really harrowing to see something like that lead the world stage, but seeing Powers do the same in the south, where he can't really hurt anyone, that's funny as hell.

EDIT : Also judging a pilot from the first ten minutes isn't really fair, but judging this show without seeing the awesome jet ski scene at the end is a crime.

Edited on 01/02/2009 1:49pm

Cantankerous

[6]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 6
    This is just BAD I was really hoping for a great NEW show but I hate the main character, he's not funny at all then I found out that the shows Exec-producers was Will Ferrell and that explained everything, Will Ferrell is about as funny as a bum tooth!

JohnnyDrama8

[7]Feb 18, 2009
    • level: 10
    I thought it was hilarous. You are all taking this show way to seriously. Also it is just the pilot episode no pilot episode is amazing their are exceptions. Curb's pilot was not that funny, neither was Entourage's but those shows grew into something really funny. Next week Will Ferrel will guest star check it out you might like it more than.

thefanof

[8]Feb 18, 2009
    • level: 102
    Hoping this gets better because the pilot was a huge disappointment.

thegamer516

[9]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 3
    This show is absolutely hilarious. You can't watch this show expecting to see a stimulating, through provoking, intelligent comedy; it's going to be a crude, crass, damn near silly comedy. Knowing that, I absolutely love it. Danny McBride is on fire.

InvasionFanbOy

[10]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 8
    absolutley great show, Danny McBride rocks!!

TheJugglaJay

[11]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 4
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you don't like this show, then your opinion sucks and I do not agree you.

[12]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 12
    Its not bad, I definately see the Will Ferrell in it who I'm not a big fan, but I still find the show kind of funny. Its just average, but its slowly getting better, I liked the ending to the last one, a little bit of a surprise.

adamonfire

[13]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 5
    Just finished the last episode, and I thought it was easily one of the best shows of the 2008-2009 season. I was hooked at the opening of the first episode - some of the funniest first 3 minutes of television ever. You're not supposed to "like" the character the same way you do as J.D. in Scrubs or Michael in Arrested Development - but I do love him in regards to what he says and does, almost all of which items are hilarious.

lourencorp

[14]Apr 26, 2009
    THE BEST MOTHA FCKING SHOW ON TV.. thats all folks

Fitzycent

[15]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 16
    I was hooked the first five minutes into the pilot. Then when Will Ferrall show up I couldn't miss an episode

JohnnyDrama3

[16]Jul 13, 2009

TheJugglaJay wrote:
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you don't like this show, then your opinion sucks and I do not agree you.

+1

albert0329

[17]Aug 10, 2009

TheJugglaJay Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you don't like this show, then your opinion sucks and I do not agree you.

+1

I really want to know what you find funny.....this is a great show......

elahoda

[18]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 20
    The painful-to-watch parts are intentional as part of this show. This is a Will Farrel made show, of course it's going to be awkward and sometimes cringing. But I thought it was hilarious!!!

Would you rather it had cliche slap-stick comedy? Fart Jokes? MAybe more Dane Cook?

killmer1981

[19]Sep 11, 2009
    i don't know how i actually made it through the entire season. this show is hardly funny. i probably laughed once an episode. guess i can't expect much coming from will ferrell as it is. i could easily see him writing for this show. it more or less sums up his entire movie career.

POLSKI69

[20]Oct 17, 2009

The bottom line is, people who dont like the show, do seem to be missing the point. We should be laughing at Kenny because of what he is. It reminds me alot of the old British sitcoms of the seventies and eighties that people look back upon as being racist, xenophobic etc but the basically mocked these kinds of people even if perceptions were not too quick to be jumped on like they are now - when political correction has really gone cuckoo and many of us are in fear to speak our minds.

This is a good show and being in Scotland I`m only on episode 3 but would expect it to get another season on what`ve seen so far. Lets face it, good TV is not something we get alot of these days. I think we should maybe be grateful guys who are doing pretty well in Hollywood are also wanting to bring their talent to the small screen !

Edited on 10/17/2009 7:15am