Eastbound & Down

HBO (ended 2013)

thefanof

Eastbound & Down Fan Reviews (13)

• Kenny Powers that idiot!!

"Eastbound and Down" is one of the very few shows that doesn't like its hero too much and in some ways we share a love/hate for him as well. Is that the purpose for its writers and creator? Will Ferrell (who has a funny cameo) and Adam McKay created this little comedy with the efforts of Jody Hill. They create mischiefs and incidents that only make things seem worse for Kenny Powers.

Danny McBride is full out as Kenny, the once major league baseball player who lost his cool. Most of his talk considers many 'f' bombs and sexual references, then again this is McBride and he's great in it. He isn't like his caring brother Dustin (the wonderful John Hawkes) who lives a more ideal life than Kenny. His love interest April (Katy Mixon) isn't entirley sure if he is the right man but she comes close to being as dumb as Kenny and yet more sweeter with the cleavage.

Yet I've gotten the most laughs from Steve Little as the very weird Stevie Janowski. I feel like McBride and Hill knew they made a somewhat joke out of the 'best friend/side kick'. Married to a Mexican and shaving his head after a quick affair at a funeral; Little was awkwardly hilarious as this loving loser.

And with the funny cameos from Matthew McCounaghey, Craig Robinson, Adam Scott, Jason Sudekis (as twins), Michael Pea and Lilly Tomlin and Don Johnson (as Kenny's witted parents).

Here is a show with explicit sex jokes, dick jokes, and many sequences of puking, farting, dildos, McBride jizzing himself as he makes out with April, boobs and many more enough to make it close to NC-17 if a movie. I don't know, I guess I have a sick humor or maybe its just done in such a mindful fashion close enough with even "South Park".

It's a small show, with not enough gas to keep it going but maybe that was Jody Hill and McBride's idea for the show, to end it with its fourth season because they probably knew that there was no more story to tell. And with that disappointment, I still find it smart since most really good shows lose its mojo after their fifth or sixth seasons.

Now I don't know whether I should feel anything for Kenny Powers, I'm not sure whether or not he's learned from anything that's happened. I mean, he went to Mexico to play for a below average team and than faked his own death to earn his love yet he really didn't need to and could've actually fulfilled his dream. Or maybe he's still just an idiot.

Rating: 8.5
  • Wrong air date for Season 4

I do not believe the next season started last night. What I read on IMDB was that they were starting filming in May, so it may possibly air later this year.
  • LMFAO!

I love to hate Kenny Powers i have cry tears of laughter watching the short series and a few tears as the last season finished with a shocking twisted ...

Hope to see another seasons soon cant wait .

• Rooting for the jerk

This is a great show as long as you know it is a show that is made to make you laugh. Take it seriously and you wont like it. Bottom line is that the lead character is an ass and it shows. He doesn't really learn anything and is a blowhard. If anything I like to see his failures instead of his wins. In saying so it is funny and you may like it but it could that like could be very mixed in it's initial reception.
  • This show is hilarious, seriously one of the best on TV.

This show is hilarious, seriously one of the best on TV. It's for a certain sense of humor, it's meant to be outlandish and crass at times. If it's your type of humor , if you get it, it's brilliant and beyond funny. If you like Will Ferrell, you would most likely enjoy this show.

The writing is great, and there are many quotable lines to have fun with. I also think the characters and storyline are well done. As obnoxious and dumb as Kenny is, I've ended up kind of taking a shine to him. He does say a lot of funny stuff and beneath that egotistical, clueless exterior lies a heart of gold. :)
  • One of TV's finest shows.

It is difficult to define, precisely, what seperates an average comedy show from a superb one. One might initially suggest it is simply the better jokes: zingy one liners that keep the viewers coming back for more. To me, a great comedy show must do more than simply use itself in a sitcom-style platform of the same grind episode after episode with jokes being pushed in at every opportunity. A great comedy show is about more than simply making jokes: it's about maximizing the humor by using the previous context of the characters and story events (as seen in shows such as The Office) while simultaneously developing an actual story which progresses from episode to episode. Eastbound and Down does exactly this, providing hilarious scenarios wrapped around an entertaining plot of former major league baseball player Kenny Powers as he battles between accepting a return to 'normal life', and struggling to break free from it. This show, simply put, is as funny as it is entertaining to watch the story unfold. Every episode delivers, which is more than can be said for 99% of shows currently on television, and it currently stands as one of television's best shows. You need to watch it - period.
  • One of TV's finest shows.

• Well, what can be said about this show? The only thing good about this show is it isn't an hour long.

Well, what can be said about this show? The sound track to EB&D is often enjoyable. Sorry to all involved with the production of this show but if it was on broadcast TV it would have been canceled after the pilot (If it got that far). The story of a broken down alcoholic ex-athlete is not new (remember "Cheers"? et al) Not only is the main character annoying but his character is completely unlikable. Not that being unlikable is a bad thing, but the way it's handled here, it's like going to the dentists and not getting N2O. IT IS PAINFUL.
  • This show is the best,if you are super religious just don't watch it! This show is so creative and awesome you don't know what he is going to say next.SEASON 2 is a must!

This show is one of the funniest comedy skits I have seen in years. The only reason I am renewing HBO is because of EAST BOUND and DOWN and TRUE BLOOD. Everyone in my family aged 15-60 sit down and watch this show matter how many times it has come on,you can't NOT watch it.they have defiantly took a little bit of crudeness mixed in with a little bit softness. This is a show you always wanted to watch but probably wouldn't get picked up by a network if it was created. luckily for the show and HBO viewers it did get picked up for season 2.
  • THE BEST.

If you like nice clean punchline jokes, probably not for you. Awesome situational comedy and awesome unpolished feel to it. The funny parts seem so raw and not thought-out well, that it actually makes them funnier..."I love you honey but you have clothes like a f*ckin d*ckhead"... Anyone could have crafted a proper comedy line there to appeal to the masses, but its grammatical awkwardness adds to the humor (for me anyways). Love the arrogant redneck character, love the dialogue, best comedy on TV. Will Ferrel is a mastermind, if not in the movies, then in the production of this show.
  • Funniest Show of 2009!

This show has made me crack up from episodes 1 through 5. I highly recommend everyone check it out. It's about an ex-major league pitcher who doesn't want to let go of his super-stardom. Because of drugs, steroids, and partying he was kicked out of baseball and now is trying to live a normal life and wait to die like all us regular folks. Kenny Powers even becomes a Phys Ed teacher. Will Ferrell guest stars and produced this show. I guarantee you will laugh your ass off! I can't wait for more episodes, I can't even give this show justice.
  • Funny, crude, offensive, extreme language - All are words to describe this show.

A funny show about a pitcher whos basically lost his pitching style, living his life as a "regular person". It's a funny show, the thing that keeps me watching is it's humor. The story line is alright, sucks that it's only a half hour per week. I honestly thought the show was going to be of the humor from the hit show House (humor wise - wise cracks, jokes), but most of his jokes are just crude language, but hey, it makes me laugh. It's cool to see Danny McBride back on television. All in all, it's a decent show, a show thats worth watching if you're in for a laugh or two.
  • Danny McBride is back!

first a little warning if you like comedy shows "friends", "Being Erica", "Sex and the City", "The King of Queens", "How I Met Your Mother" and all does comedy shows you will not get this one becouse this is going to be crude, crass and way over your head, this is intelligent comedy at its best. you loved the movie "The Foot Fist Way" (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0492619/) you are gonna love eastbound+down. this is the best comedy show to hit the tv screens this year, that i have no doubth about. its hilarious and Danny McBride bring us the hillbilly know it all tough guy gym teacher from hell and back!.