EastEnders

Weekdays 8:00 PM on BBC Premiered Feb 19, 1985 In Season

SrRui

EastEnders Fan Reviews (109)

7.4
  • Dean Wicks

I just watched tonight's eastenders and Dean has been let out of prison for Stans funeral. My issue is why was he let out without police officers? He came out of a taxi with his mum and dad freely walking around. In my experience if a person is given a day pass to go to a funeral then the prisoner is handcuffed then chained to one of the officers cuffs. So why have eastenders made a mistake like this? Prisoners will think it's ok to wander freely on a day release for a funeral a week after their arrest!
  • is east enders damaging our society?

story lines are so bad, the stupid cockney slang, the complete negativity, the lack of proper morals, the complete lack of any wisdom, the lowest form of acting... the list could go on all night. I think it is contributing to a breakdown in our society. there is never any real joy, never anything to love, no real inspiration. no wisdom, nothing new, etc etc
  • not good enough

3.5
    I tune in and tune out again. kat storyline being dragged out for all its worth. just forget the money and get a grip kat. you have kids to look after! need more likeable characters and positive story lines. they could still write dramatic story lines and have a bit more comedy.
  • Battle of the Boneheads

1.5
    Compelling TV - Eastenders now delivering a challenge - who is officially the worst actor on BBC -Just when you thought Nick Cotton had edged Mick Carter, in comes his hapless girlfriend with an act to reinforce every Irish 1970's stereotype you can that this show is supposed to be based in the east End- as Mick would say- your avin a larf- drag a paper thin murder out for months- your avin a is too shite for words.
  • EastEnders

I think you need some new story lines, some happier than others like others but am not going to be critical about it because I have only started watching this ever since two years ago - therefore would not know about others. Anyway, I think you need a bit more of a storyline with Aleks Shirov and his marriage with his daughter too. Please reveal who is the main suspect/ murderer of Lucy Beale soon and get a few characters back up and running. Oh, and Linda Carter needs to reveal her rape. Love your show!
  • Eastender

I think Eastenders is a complete bag of SHIT these days you do nothi g but drag out story lines and by the time anythings revealed its no longer exiting. I dont kno who os writing the scripts but they need to be sacked!!!! You have bought back 2 of the best charectors "stacey and ronnie" and uve gave them complete fucking shit story lines. U NO longer have my viewing good luck with future reward. Which i doubt ull be geting u useless fucktards.
  • Shouting?

Congratulations to the BBC for making a TV show that deaf people don't have to use subtitles for. Each and every episode handily has all the characters screaming at each other.
  • max or jay

hi I change my mind about killing Lucy Beale. it was not Max. it is jay. I am sorry about what happened. I watch you everyday. did you know that Max sleeps with Emma. Emma I'm really that you are upset. but I need to tell you.
  • "The Carter Family"

I have been watching Eastenders for many years and have absolutely loved it until the Carter family arrived. I feel they have had a good run now and wonder if anyone feels as I do. It always takes time to get used to new characters, but why so many dominating the show now ?There acting is terrible, apart from Timothy west. Danny/Mick is terrible, either a bad actor or the direction is very bad. There have been many great characters that have been written out of the series which is such a pity. I think one person who wrote a review suggested Eastenders should be called The Carter Show, and I must say I agree. I am sure the programme must be losing viewers.
  • eastenders the end

I cannot believe how ridicules Eastenders become; some of the dialect is completely awful, it feels like some of the story lines are just to fill in time.

I am not a prude but all this gay kissing plus some of the heterosexual kissing is so over the top it's becoming embarrassing to watch.

You really do need to up your game.

• Eastenders

I have watched Eastenders since the beginning but now I find it full on constant doom and gloom there never seems to be a happy event. I was very disappointed that Carol and David's wedding day was not a happy event after all these years. He could have stayed and supported her through her cancer and made a more tender storyline as Carol and David are two of the best actors in the show. No wonder they are not winning awards at the moment.
  • Eastenders

It is great to watch the soaps my mum watches it and i do faulase
  • 30mins of pure boredom

30 mins about Carol and David are you serious BBC and writers need to pull there finger out and start making some good new story lines or eastenders will just fizzle out very soon I have watched eastenders for years and this is the worst ive ever seen debating to just stop watching for the poor story lines keep coming
  • Eastenders

Eastenders is the one soap which i have watched since the beginning, but now even I have switched off. Who cares about this new family ??? It should be called the Carter Show, everytime you watch an episode there's another of the clan turned up !!!!

Absolute Rubbish now, where have they got these writers from? Some of the best and funniest characters ie: Kim, Denise, Dot are never in it now.

Get a grip BBC!
  • Who is an Idiot? ME.

4.5
    I have got to watch Enders, but I have got to admit, My Lady keeps digging at me and calls me an IDIOT, as I keep taking the MICK, out of it all, somehow the producers managed to collect the ugliest people in one production, ie, the UNnaturals, liars, cheats,weaklings, but I will go on switching to the channel just to see how bad it will get!!!!!!
  • An all-time fave,Eastenders

Eastenders is one of my favorite soaps I've watch since the beginning! I have a passion for British Soaps and totally appreciate the opportunity to able to watch such an awesome and down-to-earth thanks to those who make it possible!
  • Christmas wouldn't be the same without Eastenders...

...there to deliver a fight, divorce, murder, arson or children being taken away from hysterical mums by social services. About as uplifting as breaking down on a motorway in a hailstorm, Eastenders is a 30 minute package of depression and despair.
  • My Favourite Soap of All Time

For as long as I can remember, I've watched EastEnders with my mum whilst eating dinner in front of the TV or when I'm having dessert in the kitchen. Stacey (Lacey Turner) has to be one of the best actresses on EastEnders and I'm hoping the rumours of her return are true.
  • Eastenders is one of the best soap on TV and i'd personally love someone like the whole of the slater crew to come back on it they made the programme and bring about 2 more new slaters and get Ruby Allen back and bring Danielle and Bradley back from dead

Eastenders is one of the best soap on TV and i'd personally love someone like the whole of the slater crew to come back on it they made the programme and bring about 2 more new slaters and get Ruby Allen back and bring Danielle and Bradley back from dead and then make a massive come back for Stacey and the Slater gang like i'd love to see the Slaters bring more slaters like cousins , aunties , other family relatives and then if Bradley and Daniellle and Ruby came back we would proberly see one of the most loved characters Stacey Slater be happy for a change with the baby and two old bezzie's and then her hubby Bradley it would amazing to see and then i'd love Lauren Branning (Jac) be pregnant with Ryans baby and then Lucy (Melissa) return with a baby and i'd love to work on eastenders maybe in about 4 or 5 years i should be on your screens

• Could EastEnders be the most depressing TV show on earth?!

Eastenders at heart is a good idea. A look at the normal people living in the biggest city in Britain. However, the characters that are developed from this idea are far from my idea of normal British people.

Who on earth thought that a laundrette would be a good setting for a scene?! This is 2005 and the automatic washing machine was invented some time ago.

The characters in EastEnders are wholeheartedly depressing. They're a prime example of everything that's gone wrong with this country! None of them seem to have any money because they either spend it in the betting shop (another drab location) or the "Queen Vic". To pick one, "Dot Cotton" seems to lead a totally useless existance. She's in her 70's and is more adept with hair colour products than the young girls in the 'Square.

It seems that there is a market every day in Walford, with the stallholders selling all manner of rubbish stuff. To add to the programme's continuity issues, it seems like there's a constant stream of people waiting to buy. Now, excuse me for looking into this, but isn't Walford in the East End of a thriving city which has real shops? Hell, if they can afford to keep a Laundrette running in this day and age, there must be customers for a few shops!

How much grey can we get in one programme?! Grey men, grey women and worst of all, grey settings. EastEnders is the worst continuous use of the licence fee and is as much of an embarassment as Noel's House Party. Keep off!
  • This is my life

I just love eastender iam one of it big fans. It just put ohter soap to same. At 8:00 on a mon and a fri or 7:30 tue and thur iam on bbc1 no matter what it is just the best soap erver made no wonder it geting a usa v of it. So one tip for erver one just wach eastenders.
  • If it's not careful Eastenders will follow the same fate as Brookside, Crossroads and soon Family Affairs.

I used to love Eastenders, especially in the days of Tiffany Mitchell (Martine McCutcheon) and Bianca Jackson (Patsy Palmer). My favourite storyline was probably that of Tiffany and Grant's relationship. (Grant being the only Mitchell I could stand) Whatever happened to those days?

When you switch on Eastenders now it feels like a totally different show with it's preoccupation with gangster-type storylines. I thought once the Mitchell clan left that would be the end of it, but instead Sam "thick-as-two-short-planks" Mitchell styled herself as something that can only be described as Walford's own "Godfather" (or should that be Mother?)Did viewers find it believable that when Phil left she took over all his businesses (which he previously deemed her too stupid to be part of)and ran them like clockwork? Did they heck! Of course in true Sam style she was conned by family friend and solicitor, Marcus who conned her into thinking Phil wanted all the businesses sold for cash before running off with the proceeds himself. Upon hearing she was penniless gangster husband Andy Hunter threw her out. He was later killed by 'gentleman' gangster Johnny Allen. Andy still had the last laugh though by leaving his home (formerly the Mitchell HQ, until Sam convinced Andy to buy it for Phil's on-the-run fund) to employee Pat Evans and his business to old friend Dennis Rickman. Penniless Sam (who'd just told Ian to shove his chippy job believing she was about to inherit Andy's wealth) discovered the only thing Andy had left her was his wedding ring, stating that maybe she could sell it and get her roots done. In my opinion this should have been where Sam cut her losses and left Walford, but no apparently the entire Mitchell clan (Peggy, Phil and Grant) are about to make a return. Hmm let's hope it's as sucessful as Dirty Den's return.

In my opinion Eastenders relies too much on the Mitchell family. Eastenders has moved on so much since they were last in it properly that I don't think there is a place for the Mitchell's anymore. Phil and Grant returning isn't too bad (although Ross Kemp has done lots of good stuff in his time away, much better than Eastenders) it's the return of Barbra Windsor (Peggy) I dread. Whenever she is on screen it feels too much like she thinks she is still in a Carry-On movie and brings the tone of the show down.

My main gripe about the show currently is the whole Sharon/Dennis union. Why people think this is entertaining and these two make a good match is beyond me. The constant whispering and whining from Sharon and moodiness from Dennis is enough to drive anyone potty. When Den Snr first arrived back on the scene I had high hopes that we would see a father/son relationship develop between them. Instead Dennis' only purporse these days seems to be to serve as eye-candy. It's also funny how Dennis Rickman has changed from being the bad-boy who slept his way around the square and was always in trouble to the caring considerate "perfect boyfriend" material; which seems to be a move to keep the lovelorn younger viewers (affectionately known as "Shannis Tweenies" by many a forum) interested. When Sharon and Dennis headed off to America at Christmas a large proportion of the nation breathed a sigh of relief. Sadly it was not meant to be as both characters have recently returned and within five minutes I found myself unable to bear it for a moment longer and switched over..... I haven't been back since. Maybe when these two characters leave, or they split them up (inevitable for any soap couple) I will be able to watch again.

For me Eastenders is at its most enjoyable when we see storylines involving characters like Jim, Dot, Pauline, Sonia and Martin. This feels more like what Eastenders was originally meant to be about, normal families in the East End of London.
  • A boring soap like Emmerdale and Coronation Street so change the channel!

Eastenders is another boring soap just like Emmerdale and Corenation Street but I have givin this show a mark higher because I don't see it as much as I see Emmerdale and coronation Street but it is still boring. Eastenders is to be known as the best soap and it has been made number 1 in the top 20 of programmes week after week. I do think it is a boring saop though and i'd rather watch another channel. Eastenders has also got a lot of argueing in it just like Emmerdale and Coronation Street. Hope they can make a soap which is better!
  • i use to like eastenders but it got to the ponit when there was better programmes on the television. come on the things that go on in eastenders do u ever see the things go on in normal town i dont

like when there is a murder and they got buried under a tree like come on a dog would have smelled the flesh rotten away some of the people in eastender s are not very good at acting at all i thing there should be a new family who movd here but not a family with problems becuase i know thats what they would do .
    come on so much happens in albert sqaure and it is ssuch a small town like, murders, stealing, under age drinknign and peopel sneaking in to ian's flat and have party's come on how many times have we say that before i think eastenders story lines at time can be gd but i think some of them a point less
  • A character based romp of varying quality, but worth sticking with if you're willing to give it your time.

Ok, so it's not exactly of a consistent quality and I am not trying to defend the show against some of it's poorer reviews. A lot of the time it can be very silly, badly acted and mundane and you might wonder why on earth you are bothering to watch it. But when a decent storyline rolls around (and if you're lucky there can be 5 or more in a year) it is truly gripping, the villains are almost always very well cast. There are a great range, from the panto-esque nick cotton to the downright menacing Stella (impeccably acted by Sophie Thompson, yes that's right Emma Thompson's sister!)to gorgeous mentalists that tug at your heartstrings like Sean Slater. The characters are mostly very well done as long as you take them at face value. The poorer actors do actually serve a purpose, their characters are meant to be one trick ponies, one sided caricatures to provide a lighter subplot to the heavier storylines.
    In order to get the most out of eastenders, you really do have to invest in these characters. If you can't do that I wouldn't bother with it at all, but it really is worth it if you're willing to give it a shot.
  • ???

1.1
    I really dont know why i even bothered watching it eva. It was my brothers fault in the first place!!! I think this is the stupidest most weird depressing show i have ever watched. But i have to admit that Max almost being burried alive in a coffin was the highlight of the whole thing. Also i've already had a dream which relates to Lucy Beales house party and i've always wanted to throw one like that, except not at my house at my enemies house, so people wouldnt be trashing my house, they'd be trashing theres. Dibs on any house party plannings and trashings!!!!!!!!!
  • this show used to be good.

2.9
    Eastenders is now terrible, i stopped watching 2years ago and haven't bothered since. long gone are the great characters and cast. now we are left with rubbish and repetative storylines that are bleak- he dies, she dies, they die, its his baby, its her baby, he sells the vic, she buys the vic, she sells the vic, he buys the vic back! Ian Beale is a idiot and annoying. bring back Grant and Phil but make them hard again- as the characters got older and developed they lost their "edge" finally dont watch it because there are plenty of other TV shows to watch
  • boring out of date crap i can't stand it !

oh my god where do i start with this show its boring out of date crap and i have no idea how the hell it's won best soap for the last god knows how many years.
    infact come to think of it i'd rather watch 2 cockraces running up a wall and it's totally unfunny
    infact i'd rather watch corronation street atleast thats funny unlike eastenders honestly i hope that the writers run out of ideas and thats the end of this **** but thats not bloody likely because they just seem to come up with even more carp storylines
    bbc please axe this crap
  • What happened ?

Eastenders is a show us Brits have become accustomed to for a good 25 years now. In it's prime Eastenders was indeed the show of the now. The plots were fresh and the characters were actually exciting, unfortunately 25 years on it appears to have lost it's charm. The plot has become so bland that it would probably be of more interest to count the hairs on your head. The characters are boring and have no dimension. These problems have been a part of the show for a very long time and it's like listening to a broken record. Instead of introducing the modern day character they rely on the old ones, whom have definitely passed their sell by dates. Plots are dragged on for so long it is beyond painful. One of the major problems is they tend to introduce a new character and then within a month of being part of the show they kill them off. This has become a trend of late not leaving any room for character development.

The story is constantly recurring and it seems as if the writers really don't have a clue what they are doing anymore. It has become so outdated that it feels like it is set in the 90's.

It is worrying that the show is not changing for the better and it makes you wonder how long it will last in this state. It's a real shame because I really enjoyed old Albert Square growing up and now the majority of the time I do my best to avoid it.
  • A guilty pleasure that sometimes justifies itself.

I have to admit this is one of my guilty pleasures. I think I got into it because my mum would watch it, and although I have stopped watching it at times, recently I have really got back into it again. My favourite storyline at the moment involves Syed and Christian, but I have to admit I'm getting a bit sick of the mitchells and the revolving door of the vic. Definately not always great (for instance Darren being George's father, which I don't even want to think about), but then occasionally it comes up with absolute stunners, like the episode where stacey was sectioned, which actually had me in tears. It celebrates 25 years in 2010, and it'll no doubt be going for many more years.
< 1 2 3 4