Eastwick Forums

ABC (ended 2009)

if cancelling at least give closure

sramv9

[1]Dec 3, 2009
    • level: 22

Why is it that networks when cancelling a show like this don't commission a number of closure episodes --especially for this type of show that is made to addict viewers into watching to see what happens next. How many additional episodes would even be needed to create a bit of decent closure for a show that's only been up and running 13 episodes? I just read that the producers are saying it's going to stop abruptly in the middle of several "insanely juicy" storylines.

harmumph. bad ABC. BAd Bad Bad ABC.

I haven't been this annoyed at an abrupt cancellation since the 4400

Edited on 12/03/2009 2:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Dec 3, 2009
    • level: 32
    Probably takes too much work, and they probably already have written the scripts for the upcoming episodes so it makes no sense from the producers point of view to waste additional time and money to create new or revised scripts for a series that's already been cancelled.

KingofIPirates

[4]Dec 3, 2009
    • level: 32
    The reason why it's being cancelled in the first place is because the network believes viewership is too low so if it stays at the same level that won't change their minds.

jaroman382

[6]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 3
    sramv9 wrote:
    i'm not saying change minds about cancelling, i'm saying maximize viewership for the remainder... as much as i like the show myself even i almost stopped watching becuase it will be frustrating w no ending. they could avoid that kind of drop off for the remaing eps and maybe even have some small success as a more of a mini series. not thatthey will. just saying i can see the benefits of doing that - having a couple of closure eps. argh

They wouldn't take your approach because the show is already a dud as far as advertisers are concerned. Since ads are sold ahead of time, good ratings only affect future ad dollars. Mini-series ads are sold based on estimated viewer's, which would be around the 2.2 the show is currently getting. That translates into lost money. This show isn't firefly, DVD sales would be below average at best. To sum it up; No Earning Potential = No Additional Funding.

ArlovskiFTW

[8]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 9
    Again, why would they make a movie of a show that is a financial failure? A DVD release is probably unlikley.
    Edited on 12/07/2009 11:27am

michaelhanergod

[9]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 7
    If the last 3 episodes have somesort of closure. We can say it was a mini series to make it less harder when its cancelled

Kung_Fu_Fighter

[11]Dec 23, 2009
    • level: 6

Possible spoilers.....

I see the episode guide has changed.
    Is episode 11 the last to be aired?
    It is titled "Magic Snow and Creepy Gene" and the synopsis says the girls go separate ways and vow to never use their powers again.
    Episode 11 was originally titled "Red Bath and Beyond" and had a different synopsis.

It seems like we will get an ending of some kind...Maybe with the DVD release, they will add the unaired episodes as a bonus extra.
    Edited on 12/24/2009 1:49am
    Edited 2 total times.

Skevast

[12]Dec 26, 2009
    • level: 8

Nowdays when they cancell 9 out of 10 new shows every show should start as a mini serie, They don't really need to finnish every Season with a cliffhanger. They should start with cliffhangers when the show has more viewers. Nowdays 9 out of 10 people wait until there is a season or 2 out before they even start to watch, are the network execs this stupid that they don't know that people learn? Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. They really need to change their way or every new show will get cancelled nomatter how god it is. Time is money nowdays and if they want us to invest our time then we need an ending every time. No one would buy a mystery novel without an ending and they still think we will watch their shows when they already fooled us 5-6 times. Every time they do this the more people learn, and in the end only elderly people will watch their shows because they have all the time in the world and they can't remember the previous episode anyway so it doesn't matter how it ends, maybe some people who use their tv to scare burglars away and some others who just have the tv on because they feel lonely will tune in. But you most be a real moron or the show has to be really god if your going to watch 10-25 episodes knowing you will never get a conclusion.

I give them one more time, maybe two until nowone will watch anything that is new. With no one I mean the demografic they are getting paid for, the ones that buy stuff they don't need, thats what it is about. So in 2 years they will need to tell people from episode 1 that they will get a conclusion what ever happens, because if they don't do that they will have to cancell it for sure. They lost peoples confidence to save a buck, and now it will cost mutch more to earn their confidence back, now people are used not to ever watch the first season and it may take a generation until people feel safe again to waste their time. The networks that ended a show with a cliffhanger after 2-3 seasons will lose even more people because this is something people never forget. The only thing that is safe to watch are those shows with standalone episodes like twilight Zone, Masters of Horror, Masters of Sci-Fi or other shows there the one episode don't have to do anything with the next....And by the way I believe al those stand alones except twiligt Zone were cancelled in the first Season...

Dec1964

[13]Feb 25, 2010
    • level: 35
    I wish they would tie up all the loose ends, just for the Fans who go outta their way just to see an episode.......?