Eight is Enough

ABC (ended 1981)

gwactuary

Eight is Enough Fan Reviews (10)

• Tom and Joan Bradford certainly had a busy household, and with eight children, it's no wonder!

Newspaper columnist Tom Bradford (Dick Van Patten) and his wife, Joan, (Diana Hyland) never had a dull moment in their lives. And why? Well, because they had eight children, that's why! There was never a dull moment in the Bradford house, David, (Grant Goodeve) Mary, (Lani O'Grady) Joannie, (Laurie Walters) Susan, (Susan Richardson) Nancy, (Diane Kay)Elizabeth, (Connie Needham)Tommy, (Willie Aames) and Nicholas (Adam Rich) saw to that!

The Bradfords were a laugh a minute for viewers when the show aired from 1977 - 1981. The kids (younger and older!) were always getting into scrapes of some kind, leaving their parents the task of sorting them all out.

Sadly, Diana Hyland died of cancer during the show's run, so the producers gave Tom a new love interest, Sandra Sue "Abby" Abbott, (played by Betty Buckley)who became his second wife. The issues of death, divorce, infidelity, birth control and other social dilemmas were dealt with responsibly by the show's writers, however, the main aim of the show was to entertain through comedy and it did just that, for its entire run.

Unfortunately, quite a few of the cast members have had very public personal problems. One (Lani O' Grady) passed away in 2001)and others have had a myriad of difficulties, however, nothing can detract from the fact that the show was incredibly popular during its run and many fans are hoping for a release to DVD in the future.
  • Good family show that helped me through the solitude of being stationed oversees.

I enjoyed watching this show because it had a "Walton's" aire to it. I first saw this when I was stationed oversees; it was shipped along with several VHS tapes on a weekly basis. It reminded me of how the world was outside of our lonely assignment. I enjoyed that most episodes began and ended within an hour. Not a long drawn out soap opera. It also presented basic family problems and showed how a real person, father Bradford, handled life, death, and the job of raising such a diverse brood. I wish I could see this again in reruns; but it seems like the $'s aren't there for the sponsors...
  • A family comedy program from the 1970's.

A pretty decent show which tackled some controversial subject matter. In it's day, Eight Is Enough actually touched on some other issues that most shows would not touch. It followed the Bradford family headed by the father Tom played by Dick Van Patten. He played widower with eight kids. He started dating and eventually married Abby who was played by Betty Buckley. It was a good combination of comedy and drama. The show also gave lots of opportunities to some up and coming actors and actresses. Willie Aames played Tommy. He would later go on to co-star in Charles In Charge with Scott Baio. Not that I'm going to check and see if it's on TV Land, but it was pretty good.
  • Rerun this show everynight!

This was a great show to watch. They touched on mant issues going on at the time. I enjoyed watching it. The Bradford family was by no means perfect but they stuck together as a family. And they let Abby be a part of their lives. Did they ever have any animals? Wasn't it weird that Tommy and Nicolas had to share a room. Huge age difference there. It is even more fun to watch now to see the hair and clothes differences from today. Yup I had that feathered hair. It should air on tvland at least one night a week. It is good family entertainment.
  • Please bring this classic back!

I really loved this show as a kid when it
    Went into syndication. By the time I lived in Florida
    As well as moved up here in TN. Great family show
    But sadly I feel sorry for some of the then younger
    Actors and actresses at the time. Like Adam Rich!
    Great show though and one where the family could watch!
  • This was a family comedy following the Bradford family.

Sure, it is pretty corny by today's standards. But in it's day, Eight Is Enough actually touched on some other issues that most shows would not touch. It followed the Bradford family headed by the father Tom played by Dick Van Patten. He was a widower with eight children. He started dating and eventually married Abby who was played by Betty Buckley. It was a good combination of comedy and drama. The show also gave lots of opportunities to some up-and-coming actors and actresses. Willie Aames played Tommy. He would later go on to co-star in Charles In Charge with Scott Baio.
  • Family Comedy/Drama

Eight Is Enough is a one of those shows that you remember fondly from your youth, but watching it as grown-up, you realize it wasn't a good as you remember. The show revolves around the Bradford family and their daily comings and goings. Mixing humor with After-School Special drama, the show is mildly appealing and good for family viewings.
  • Liked it better then

I watched Eight Is Enough every week when it was originally on. About six years ago I came across it again when it was shown on Pax and I was amazed at how much I didn't like it as an adult. I found many of the characters to be unlikable. Maybe I didn't feel that way in the 70's because I was a kid myself. My biggest complaint about the show though is the use of a laugh track. I remember thinking at the time that it was odd, but as an adult I found it extremely annoying. The show obviously was not filmed in front of a live studio audience. But I was lucky enough to see the Diana Hyland episodes. I always thought she was a wonderful actress and I often wonder how the show would have been different had she lived. But Betty Buckley was a wonderful addition.
  • If you think three’s a crowd…. Then Eight Is (Definitely) Enough.

Eight is Enough is a wholesome show about a widowed father and his eight children.

I had to catch my episodes of EIE in syndication. I was too young during its original debut – but once again, syndication makes the good shows possible.

I like EIE. It’s a nice show about a good family, a decent family that despite all of the lovey dovey talks – the people still have their quirks.

Of course the EIE house can appear crowded sometimes. With eight kids that’s a likely feeling – but it’s never too hard to keep up with what’s going on. Each episode tends to entertain and/or slyly teach a lesson. Though watching an episode of EIE would make you now feel that you’ve taken a long journey to the past, this is decent viewing that is definitely worth the trip.
  • A nice weeknight show

This was a nice family program couched between Little House on the Prairie of Monday and The Waltons of Thursday, if I remember correctly. Unlike those other two shows, Eight is Enough, broadcast on Wednesday nights at 8:00PM dealt with a lot of modern issues adults and children faced. It was kind of neat to see a show with people with that many kids, because the show came out during a time parents were only having two or three. Kids and adults alike got to see the unique, advantageous dynamics of a large family.