Elementary

Child Predator

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Oct 18, 2012 on CBS

• Very good!

An episode that I missed during the original run bt I recently saw a rerun - and it was very god. The storyline was very interesting with an unpredictable series of twists at the end. It played out beautifully.

And he did threaten that he would be back soon - wonder if that will happen in some furture episode...

Very good episode early in the series!
  • Intelligence Predator.

5.5
    Almost despite myself I'm warming to Liu's Watson (even if her name, when spoken, sticks in my craw) she's horribly underwritten as a sullen and stiff shell of a woman with a heavy weight on her shoulders that Sherlock will have to winkle out over the course of the season. It's painfully thin characterization but it hardly matters as it's all about Sherlock.

Three shows in and three shows without a clever plot, twist, clue or villain and it's starting to get worrying.

I found myself once again indifferent to the plot and while they ramp the seriousness and urgency in the first 10 minutes (which later dissolves in lazy plotting and disinterested characters) this is not a gritty or brave enough show to deliver anything other than the obvious conclusion. Even the least initiated will spot the possible twist coming (with such a limited list of characters involved there were only 2 or 3 realistic twists possible and none of them was all that and when they have such a plodding pace you are free to ponder the possible outcomes and work it out for yourself while waiting on the characters to do something interesting.

I want to make special mention of Aidan Quinn's character as a policeman who actually seems competent at his job and whose character hasn't been undermined with stupidity in order for the plot to progress which is in odd contract to the only other cop in his department who seems to be there solely for Holmes to humiliate.
  • Telegraphed

This is the first episode that I stopped paying attention to about halfway through. Far too contrived and telegraphed and forecast (not the same foreshadowed) right down to the title. Any show just starting out deserves some time to work out the kinks and develop some increasing synchronicity between cast members, production, and the writers. The writers fell down this time, through the director should have spotted the holes and gaps, and the caste did some scrambling when it shouldn't have. It is always a bad sign when I know by the writing and not the clues who did the deed halfway through the show. Please don't do something like this again, I've already ditched 5 new shows this week and I really REALLY want to keep this one.
  • Step in the Right Direction

This is my favorite episode so far. The previous two have failed to come together for me in a meaningful way, but this one really stood out.

The relationship between Holmes and Watson was engaging. The story was uncomfortable but in a way that was compelling. I believe that it would have been nice to keep Adam around for a while (and I was really disappointed in how scared he seemed when he knew he was trapped), but I guess they didn't want to keep that kind of crime around in order to not upset those highly sensitive to the like. He was a complex character and a potential rival(ish), but I suppose he was a one-trick pony.

This episode kept my attention. You're getting there, Elementary.
  • Elementary

Although the episode was good and well written, it still isn't as fun as solving crimes whilst competing with Holmes.
  • Child Predator

Child Predator was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Elementary. I enjoyed watching and though the story was about a darker side of humanity it was well written, acted, and directed. It was interesting to watch Sherlock investigate and it was great seeing Holmes try to get him to rest. Adam the abducted child was very disturbed and there were a lot of emotions flying around over what happened to him and the other children. It was intriguing how playful he was with Holmes, almost a criminal mastermind, but in the end he was no match. The ending was marvelous! I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • There's a reason why the books are still read 100 years later!!!

In the the best Sherlock Holmes stories, Holmes inspects a crime scene, interviews people, and thinks for about ten minutes. Then he announces "I solved it!" and we spend the rest of the story trying to catch up to what he's already figured out. Also all the clues are also presented to us in the beginning, making us feel stupid for not figuring out sooner (or at least stupider than Holmes). The Mentalist is the best example of this style and not this show! Holmes is supposed to be so much smarter, yet the villain in this episode outwits him and Holmes only catches him on basically a legal technicality! The Watson/Holmes chemistry is not there either;. While Watson is not as smart as Holmes, she should at least be smarter than everybody else, right (top of her class in med school)? I guess I wanted Watson to be two steps ahead and Holmes be five steps ahead. In the books, Holmes got into drugs because he was so incredibly bored and maybe that's what we need too! A final note; hire smarter writers! While smart people can act dumb, dumb people cannot act smart!!!
  • Elementary.

Absolutely a fantastic episode, anyone else agree.
  • I might listen again. Apart from the sobriety twaddle, of course!

Still strong at the 3rd outing.

The case was pretty good but faltered when it became apparent that the initial suspect wasn't the real killer.

An unsatisfactory conclusion since the killer knew he wouldn't get much in the way of punishment due to extenuating circumstances.

Holmes continues to be thoroughly obnoxious to Watson, comparing her to a phrenology head at one point but manages to redeem himself later in the episode by simply admitting that she is good for his thought process.

However, I think there has to be some kind of breakthrough between them pretty soon to justify her remaining with him past the 6 week companionship contract.

It seems JLM's hairy chest is to be in weekly evidence, presumably as eye candy for the female audience. Please note, as a non PC lover of female eye candy, I have no objection. Loved the "could have sworn I had a shirt on, earlier" comment from Holmes.

If this series keeps up this good work, I for one believe it will get a second run and hopefully, a full 20+ episodes.
  • A strong episode in a series that continues to deliver....

.... ELEMENTARY is proving to be a fun and clever modern day twist on Arthur Conan Doyle's classic character Sherlock Holmes. "Child Predator" is a step down from the previous two installments but is a strong episode in its own right. Where some parts are predictable and some obvious questions are not even asked - "Child Predator" succeeds through the continued development of Holmes & Watson's budding relationship and the depiction of Holmes' unusual methods through a modern lens.

Some Sherlockians are quick to criticize ELEMENTARY; but the characters are over 100 years old and, as a fan of the original books and the many screen incarnations throughout the years, I find it nice to see some clever twists of the classic Doyle Holmes blueprint. ELEMENTARY is a unique and entertaining Sherlock Holmes adaptation and "Child Predator" is not perfect but certainly another satisfying piece to this series.